No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fiba America qualifying tournament is one of the first tournaments I have heard of that doesn't determine a overall champion ..

With a 10-2 record and the highest point differential of 282 .. Does Canada move up the Fiba rankings ? Cause the last I saw we are still 8th ranked in FIBA America's
    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Feb 26, 2019, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• News that breakdancing may become an official Olympic sport comes as a blow to professional squash players who have been campaigning for decades to have their sport included in the Games.

Organizers for the Paris 2024 summer Olympics said Thursday they plan to add breakdancing to the Games, pending approval from the International Olympic Committee next year.

What a world we live in.....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        News that breakdancing may become an official Olympic sport comes as a blow to professional squash players who have been campaigning for decades to have their sport included in the Games.

Organizers for the Paris 2024 summer Olympics said Thursday they plan to add breakdancing to the Games, pending approval from the International Olympic Committee next year.

We live in a world that it's all about the money $$$$$$ ... IF breakdancing can get TV eyes then guess what ...

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          We don't need Wiggins
          Can we draw anything into Wiggins and Nik saying no to Canada to how there NBA careers have worked out lately ... When Olynyk was asked why he always says yes .. His response was " I love playing basketball and love playing for my country .. Nik and Wiggins who have been on career lottery teams could have benefited from going and playing for Canada and leading them to success . The first sign adversity ( Canada lost to Venesuala ) Wiggins quit on the program .

Comment

• I agree about what an honor it would be to represent your country. Having said that I doubt if I have ever worked as hard as you have to work to become and remain a professional athlete. To then put in the additional work and life disruption required to play in international competition??? It is easy for me to say "Yeah, I'd do it," but everyone has their own life and their own reasons for the decisions they make. I'm not going to judge Wiggins or any other athlete that choses not to participate. After all their is a non zero chance of a career ending injury which could cost an individual a hundred million dollars. Not entirely non-consequential.

I guess there is insurance relief from the dollar end of that, so maybe it's a mute point.

Comment

News that breakdancing may become an official Olympic sport comes as a blow to professional squash players who have been campaigning for decades to have their sport included in the Games.

I'll have to let my homeboy from high school know. Saw him at a party awhile back, boooiiiiii can still throw down the cardboard and get down

They should make it a multi event like they do in track and add freestyling and graffiti. A whole crop of dudes been waiting for their time to shine
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                I agree about what an honor it would be to represent your country. Having said that I doubt if I have ever worked as hard as you have to work to become and remain a professional athlete. To then put in the additional work and life disruption required to play in international competition??? It is easy for me to say "Yeah, I'd do it," but everyone has their own life and their own reasons for the decisions they make. I'm not going to judge Wiggins or any other athlete that choses not to participate. After all their is a non zero chance of a career ending injury which could cost an individual a hundred million dollars. Not entirely non-consequential.

I guess there is insurance relief from the dollar end of that, so maybe it's a mute point.
                Wiggins is guaranteed 150 million dollars on this contract alone. Whether or not he got hurt playing for Canada. I mean my God how much money is enough money?
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                  The Fiba America qualifying tournament is one of the first tournaments I have heard of that doesn't determine a overall champion ..

With a 10-2 record and the highest point differential of 282 .. Does Canada move up the Fiba rankings ? Cause the last I saw we are still 8th ranked in FIBA America's
                  We don't get any bonus for winning the group; all we get is the points from the final two games. The win over Chile won't count for much because they're so weak, but beating Venezuela by 20+ will give us some points... maybe enough to pass Germany who lost their last two, probably not enough to catch Venezuela. It sucks that there isn't a medal round, because other teams in the region are still benefiting from medal round wins from previous tournaments all the way back to 2011. So yeah, we probably enter the WC ranked dead last among the 7 qualifying Fiba Americas teams, even though we had the best tournament.

It's notable that FIBA still hasn't announced the format for the draw, even though it's just a couple weeks away. Can't help but think they were waiting to see the teams that qualify before deciding how to run it.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Wiggins is guaranteed 150 million dollars on this contract alone. Whether or not he got hurt playing for Canada. I mean my God how much money is enough money?
                    Wiggins on his rookie contract shouldn't have already had enough money to ever not worry about money ..

Every player who plays for his country is risking money ... Every player who participates in a pick up game is at risk ... A player can get hurt playing at the All star game but all our dying to go .
                    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Feb 26, 2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingme...XUQyzftRNUyJfQ

How does Canada not move up in these rankings after going 10-2 ..

Comment

http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingme...XUQyzftRNUyJfQ

How does Canada not move up in these rankings after going 10-2 ..
                        Yeah, damn, I really thought we'd move up at least 1 spot. Ah well, group of death, here we come.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, damn, I really thought we'd move up at least 1 spot. Ah well, group of death, here we come.
                          How does Chile move up 6 spots and they were 2-10 ???

Comment

How does Chile move up 6 spots and they were 2-10 ???
                            Yeah, it's weird. Keep in mind that this ranking is just updating for the last window (two games per team). All of the previous games in the tournament were already included in the ranking.

In Chile's case, despite the fact they lost both games this window, they essentially jumped over teams that weren't playing (because they had been eliminated in earlier group stages).

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I don't disagree, but it's not up to me to make decisions about someone else's money, how they spend it and how much they should make. I guess I could flip that around and say "100 million is nothing to sniff at." Maybe he wants to build a new hospital in some third world country and also endow Basketball Canada with $30 million to support their program. I don't know. Or maybe he just wants to maximize his earnings like most other all stars/superstars. His choice.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                                We live in a world that it's all about the money $$$$$$ ... IF breakdancing can get TV eyes then guess what ...
                                Yup it's like that and that's the way it is.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X