Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    There's a report that Gasol is going to Barcelona? If true then good luck to him, obviously sad to see another key piece of the championship team to go but he's on his last legs.

Give Serge a fat 1 year contract if he'll take it
    Yeah, that report looks fairly solid. Best of luck to him over there.

I don't know if we'll be able to offer a fat enough 1 year contract to keep Serge.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
      Everyone thinks Freddy is coming back..I wish that was true,listen if someone is giving u max contract over 25 million for 5 years..instead of 4 years under 20 million per year..what would u do..so if it comes 2 Freddy wants max..sign and trade to Indiana,makes sense for Oladipo..if it's Other teams knicks,pistons..it would be better 2 just let him go and save that cap for next year..
      The only team that can give Fred 5 years is us. Even sign and trades can only be 4 years.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Well unless you have a plan on how to make a big move this summer, seems kind of like wanting change for the sake of change. Which is a real bad approach.
        Maybe frame it as not looking forward to the inevitable or likely outcome, at least for a season since there are few alternatives.

One of the big pluses for Masai was his avoidance of albatross contracts to leave his options open but it seems, combined with the lack of available free agents this off season, we're a bit cap bound since you can't just let Marc or Serge walk and sign a better $25M player. Or let them both walk and sign a stud wing and a serviceable centre if they were available.

With a big ticket guy leaving (Marc or Serge) you hope that allows for a big talent in replacement, similar to getting out from under a bad contract (not that those two necessarily were)

Comment

• I had a feeling Gasol would retire to European ball. He looks somewhat embarrassed at times in these playoffs, he's a proud guy that wasn't gonna hang around the NBA as a bench big (cough...Pau...)
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Maybe frame it as not looking forward to the inevitable or likely outcome, at least for a season since there are few alternatives.

One of the big pluses for Masai was his avoidance of albatross contracts to leave his options open but it seems, combined with the lack of available free agents this off season, we're a bit cap bound since you can't just let Marc or Serge walk and sign a better $25M player. Or let them both walk and sign a stud wing and a serviceable centre if they were available.

With a big ticket guy leaving (Marc or Serge) you hope that allows for a big talent in replacement, similar to getting out from under a bad contract (not that those two necessarily were)
            YOU might always hope that but those who know how the cap works do not. That's not to be expected at all.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I hear ya, but it's the same with other teams too. If Montrezz Harrell leaves the Clips they have no money to replace him with. If Brogdon just walked the Bucks couldn't replace him. Celtics are going to be in a situation eventually with Theiss or even Smart where if they walk for nothing and they can't replace them.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

YOU might always hope that but those who know how the cap works do not. That's not to be expected at all.
                I think that's always been well in evidence. Luckily I'm not alone on that island....

Comment

• If Gasol is leaving to play for Spain. Good for him. Loved having him as a part of the championship run and have nothing but respect for him.

Comment

Isn't that Pascal whose contract kicks in?
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      I had a feeling Gasol would retire to European ball. He looks somewhat embarrassed at times in these playoffs, he's a proud guy that wasn't gonna hang around the NBA as a bench big (cough...Pau...)
                      He had the look of the late-career vet who was wondering why in god's name they kept putting him out there - just trying to get through his minutes doing as little damage as possible.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I had a feeling Gasol would retire to European ball. He looks somewhat embarrassed at times in these playoffs, he's a proud guy that wasn't gonna hang around the NBA as a bench big (cough...Pau...)
                        What are you saying, European ball is not competitive?

Sad to see the big man go, and really I wish we had a young big he could have mentored this season. He's had an amazing career and was a big part of our championship run. Happy he gets to leave the NBA on his terms.

Comment

• Maybe stays another year for a reduced role in a non-COVID year, but what a mess for a vet with a family to try to deal with in a foreign country right now. Being in Spain makes a lot of sense for him. So long & thanks for the chip! We'll have these Embiid memes forever:

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• The lockdown he had on Vucevic against Orlando is way more impressive than his defense against Embiid which was still impressive. Vucevic must be so happy with this news.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Isn't that Pascal whose contract kicks in?
                              Yah but that's just paying your own guys more and hoping that gets you better rather than signing guys to make your roster. I pretty much hate the hard decisions of who to let walk so you can pay X player more. That's not a recipe for getting better and more and more it's clear that a major part of a successful NBA executive is timing cheap contracts with your stars.

I already posted previously that we're paying more for our 3rd most expensive player than any other elite team.

Comment

Yah but that's just paying your own guys more and hoping that gets you better rather than signing guys to make your roster. I pretty much hate the hard decisions of who to let walk so you can pay X player more. That's not a recipe for getting better and more and more it's clear that a major part of a successful NBA executive is timing cheap contracts with your stars.

I already posted previously that we're paying more for our 3rd most expensive player than any other elite team.
                                Masai needs to acquire a star or 3 because he wants it really damn bad, otherwise, he must not want it bad enough!

Comment

Working...
                                X