Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Not true. Sexton is great at scoring. Check the numbers: other than last season’s small sample before he got injured…. he’s elite.
    I take his past elite scoring on a losing team as fool's gold.

I consider the small sample before he got injured to be more true of his capabilities.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

I take his past elite scoring on a losing team as fool's gold.

I consider the small sample before he got injured to be more true of his capabilities.
      Booker, Lavine, Wiggins, etc… have put that lazy narrative to rest. Put an empty stats scorer on a team with a good culture and he can become a winning player.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

That's just it I think he tops out as a 6th man if the team is at its best. I think that for this team we could sell "high" by trading for a similar player to him with more offensive creation in the playmaking department.

My ideal is boggy from ATL. and getting their pick
        Well there is an argument to be made that Trent's scoring might be important enough where maybe you try a small ball line up again. Or say if Scottie makes a leap as a wing defender then maybe OG is not as important to the starting line? Not likely that he bumps OG but Precious still has a way to go as a starter.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Well there is an argument to be made that Trent's scoring might be important enough where maybe you try a small ball line up again. Or say if Scottie makes a leap as a wing defender then maybe OG is not as important to the starting line? Not likely that he bumps OG but Precious still has a way to go as a starter.
          Boggy is just as good of a shooter with better play making. Also Scottie will improve his defence next year but why would you bump any of the 3 big wings out of the line up. If you believe n positionless basketball those 3 are key to any line up moving forward as are there improvements

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
            Why giving up on trents D? He was considered bad then last year good. The guys a baller works hard and will only get better on both sides. We will regret trading Trent. There were moments the last few games where everyone except trent was afraid to shoot. Hes got 4-5 years of steady improvement ahead. 80% of teams wont be confident enough he’ll stay to give much for him. He seems to like it here. If he were FA we’d wish we could get him.
            Uhh, well, some people never considered his defence good last year, I guess is the answer?
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Uhh, well, some people never considered his defence good last year, I guess is the answer?
              his defence improved but it isn't outstanding.. the lateral quickness will always be an issue on both ends of the floor.

I haven't given up on him he is just currently one of our better assets that is moveable.

Comment

Uhh well? Gawd. Look at the gary trent thread. Up until half the season many were raving about his D even mentioning possible dpoy candidate. He levelled out but i think hes good not very good or great but will only get better

Comment

Uhh well? Gawd. Look at the gary trent thread. Up until half the season many were raving about his D even mentioning possible dpoy candidate. He levelled out but i think hes good not very good or great but will only get better
                  Many were rightly raving that his D had improved dramatically. But that was improvement from absolutely terrible to maybe about average, and we got the second half of the season and the playoffs to demonstrate that maybe about average might have been a little optimistic.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think the defence will remain around this level... his offence is the one area that he could hypothetically improve ALOT by just being a better decision maker... even if he can't drive it in to the rim if he just makes better decisions he is a much better player.

Comment

Many were rightly raving that his D had improved dramatically. But that was improvement from absolutely terrible to maybe about average, and we got the second half of the season and the playoffs to demonstrate that maybe about average might have been a little optimistic.
                      I called this out way back around January and people got mad at me for saying he was trade bait because his value had improved. I forget who it was but people were not happy. I have been fairly consistent on my assessment of trent especially defensively.

Comment

Semantics, but most would say he was better than average over the course of this entire past season. He gambles a bit too much right now, but he’s also only 23, and has just one full year under his belt in the Raps system. He also led the league in steals for a good portion of the season. Why would you lean more on the second half of the season in saying he’s not even average on D? And if he improved so dramatically from Portland to here, why would you think he’s a finished product on that end right now?

A lot of this “trade Gary” talk makes some sense only because we assume none of the other core pieces are likely to be traded and everyone wants to fill the backup PG and C spots immediately. But that doesn’t mean trading him right now makes sense. Trading Trent now should only be a consideration for needed skills coming back - definitely not for a draft pick in 2022. A trade that hasn’t been mentioned but could be a needle mover this summer might be something around Trent and Christian Wood, for instance. If you move him, it needs to come with a good return, given what you are giving up in the “rare skills” category (shooting, iso shot creation). If not, ride with him and think about it again at the deadline.

Comment

• Trent shouldn't be judged by anything that did or did not happen in the playoffs, specifically the 6ers series. Dude was just not healthy.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            Trent shouldn't be judged by anything that did or did not happen in the playoffs, specifically the 6ers series. Dude was just not healthy.
                            he had the stomach flu for a few games the last two games he was healthy his offensive numbers show. the issue isn't his offensive side the issue is his defence and my feelings on gary aren't shifted one way or another by the playoffs.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Semantics, but most would say he was better than average over the course of this entire past season. He gambles a bit too much right now, but he’s also only 23, and has just one full year under his belt in the Raps system. He also led the league in steals for a good portion of the season. Why would you lean more on the second half of the season in saying he’s not even average on D? And if he improved so dramatically from Portland to here, why would you think he’s a finished product on that end right now?

A lot of this “trade Gary” talk makes some sense only because we assume none of the other core pieces are likely to be traded and everyone wants to fill the backup PG and C spots immediately. But that doesn’t mean trading him right now makes sense. Trading Trent now should only be a consideration for needed skills coming back - definitely not for a draft pick in 2022. A trade that hasn’t been mentioned but could be a needle mover this summer might be something around Trent and Christian Wood, for instance. If you move him, it needs to come with a good return, given what you are giving up in the “rare skills” category (shooting, iso shot creation). If not, ride with him and think about it again at the deadline.
                              One thing i'd disagree with is the need to sign a point guard specifically

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

he had the stomach flu for a few games the last two games he was healthy his offensive numbers show. the issue isn't his offensive side the issue is his defence and my feelings on gary aren't shifted one way or another by the playoffs.
                                Well looking at it optimisticly, he improved defensively and he is still young, he can continue to improve on that end.

Comment

Working...
                                X