Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post

Helps having Horford, a DPOY candidate and the actual DPOY.

Celtics were below 500 at one point before they figured stuff out. It got to the point where "Should Celtics break up Tatum and Brown" headlines were everywhere.
    I suggested trading for Horford when he was with the Thunder.

So basically, to use your same argument, Nurse’s defense only worked when we had pre-washed Gasol.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

You must understand though that the correct answer is that the Raptors want to keep Pascal, Scottie and OG for essentially the duration of the rest of their careers. The whole concept they are driving toward is having as many guys like that on the team as possible. I would be astonished if they would trade any of those guys to improve their depth. There are more interesting discussions to be had on what value they could get out of Trent or even FVV (though far less likely on that one) than any of the three core forwards.

Raptors cannot offer Trent an extension, it will come down to re-signing him in unrestricted free agency.
      Dan H,

The question for next year is how to rebuild the 2nd team 6-10 ? Precious, signing of Boucher and Young covers the front court.

My question was how to address the $20 Million dollars that is possible to be available.

Who do we trade to whom to fill that space in the SG /SF position.

with the MLE or part of , do you pursue a Tyus Jones, GP2 or Delon Wright.

Your input would be appreciated.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I suggested trading for Horford when he was with the Thunder.

So basically, to use your same argument, Nurse’s defense only worked when we had pre-washed Gasol.
        Considering we were a top 5 defense post all star break with a bunch of new young guys, no it didn't only work with Gasol. It obviously looked better.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Well, you are right about one thing, Barnes should be handling the ball a lot more.

Not sure why one would assume that would require moving Fred. They get worse if they move Fred, but I would agree and peg him as the 2nd most likely of the core 5 to be moved, besides Gary. It's just not particularly likely they even move Gary (they should, IMO), let alone Fred.
          1. Trade Fred for a legit SG , by legit I mean a sharpshooting SG
          Because
          2. it can be a bit complicated if Fred stays and slides to SG, although in theory it will be ideal making Gary his backup IF he decides to stay

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Because
            2. it can be a bit complicated if Fred stays and slides to SG, although in theory it will be ideal making Gary his backup IF he decides to stay
            the problem is the ones that are really good sharp shooting at the level that fred is...... are hard to get asset wise. Donovan Mitchell is one option. I suppose Beal is another who is interesting. Actually funny enough CJ would work perfectly on our team.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

Dan H,

The question for next year is how to rebuild the 2nd team 6-10 ? Precious, signing of Boucher and Young covers the front court.

My question was how to address the $20 Million dollars that is possible to be available.

where are you getting the 20 million dollars available. we have effectively no cap space if we renounce everyone we may have 5-7 million dollars and still have an MLE and bi annual.

Realistically we only have MLE nad biannual.

Tyus Jones is interesting but something tells me Memphis keeps him and lets Anderson go. Delon wright is another interesting guy. I'd rather HArris but sure. GP2 is also interesting . Out of the two guys not named Jones I would go with Wright personally because GP2 is a spottier shooter.

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                Forget about trading OG.
                If they really want the franchise to go in right direction..I trade Freddy.
                U need him 2 move on..so Barnes can be the main guy handling the ball.
                I move Trent 2..but I think nothing is gonna be done, it will be a boring off-season..
                I'm excited to see what this team looks like next season regardless if they do anything or not.

48 win team this season with all those games missed due to injuries, no bench help, starting a rookie and new, inexperienced players. They will be a 50+ win team if remotely healthy. And defense should be top 5 again.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

where are you getting the 20 million dollars available. we have effectively no cap space if we renounce everyone we may have 5-7 million dollars and still have an MLE and bi annual.

Realistically we only have MLE nad biannual.

Tyus Jones is interesting but something tells me Memphis keeps him and lets Anderson go. Delon wright is another interesting guy. I'd rather HArris but sure. GP2 is also interesting . Out of the two guys not named Jones I would go with Wright personally because GP2 is a spottier shooter.
                  Please note I suggested trading Birch + Brooks to the Lakers for Horton Tucker. Brings Lakers under the cap. In the alternative, a similar trade to the Knicks for Alejandro Burks. Both trades initiate a team salary amount of $117 million prior to signing Boucher and Young for a total amount $15 million in salaries , if not Young replace him with Andre Drummond for 10-12 minutes a game.
                  Than pursue the PG, with the MLE- Payton is my preference due to the fact he plays smothering defense.That would leave 7 million dollars to spend to the luxury tax.

How did I get to $20 Million
                  The extra 2 Million from the suggested trade to the Lakers.or the Knick for either Horton Tucker or Burks.
                  The MLE up to $10.3 Million.
                  The outstanding balance of $7 Million to the Luxury Tax of $149 Million

Comment

Please note I suggested trading Birch + Brooks to the Lakers for Horton Tucker. Brings Lakers under the cap. In the alternative, a similar trade to the Knicks for Alejandro Burks. Both trades initiate a team salary amount of $117 million prior to signing Boucher and Young for a total amount $15 million in salaries , if not Young replace him with Andre Drummond for 10-12 minutes a game.
                    Than pursue the PG, with the MLE- Payton is my preference due to the fact he plays smothering defense.That would leave 7 million dollars to spend to the luxury tax.

How did I get to $20 Million
                    The extra 2 Million from the suggested trade to the Lakers.or the Knick for either Horton Tucker or Burks.
                    The MLE up to $10.3 Million.
                    The outstanding balance of $7 Million to the Luxury Tax of $149 Million
                    ah gotcha I wasn't sure if it was a separate post.

Drummond is not defensively a fit again Masai said if the center don't fit we must acquit... nevermind wrong reference. Point is if the center doesn't fit the system then its a no. Drummond isn't going to fit the system.

I answered the rest of the questions. The lakers aren't trading us one of their only remaining trade chips for basically birch. although I would love that. If I remember correctly the trade was with boucher outgoing as well.

Thad and Boucer for 15-18 million max is very reasonable.

Payton isn't bad.

Once you are over the cap you can't just sign guys up until the 7 million mark fom my understanding. We would at thatpoint be an above the cap team which has its own rules. That doesn't mean you have 7 more million to go shopping with. To do that you have to be below the cap. Cap is set at 122 million once you hit that you can't sign people beyond the bi annual exception which we have and the MLE. So if you have MLE targets not named Drummond sure.

Payton is fine not my preferred because I think there are better guys out there but I wouldn't be mad but of the ones you suggested. I think a better one is still Gary Harris or Taurean Prince. If you want a center why don't we just get Hartenstein.

Comment

• Scratch all of those proposals.
                      We only need to get one big - Al Horford!

Comment

Scratch all of those proposals.
                        We only need to get one big - Al Horford!
                        this is why we don't get bigs like andre Drummond and whiteside.

Comment

• Can't remember which thread some of us were talking about if LeBron would ever surpass Jordan in net worth, but there's a nice breakdown of LBJ's earnings. He became the NBA's first active player to be worth $1B.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ion-per-forbes

Pretty crazy as you start reading the breakdown of investments. These guys have such a wide spread portfolio with all their connections.

Comment

Because
                            What's the complicated part? Fred has always excelled at SG and can guard basically anyone, especially with a super huge backcourt mate.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Dan H,

Not sure what the 20M number means. They have about 34M in room under the tax to fill out the roster, for this coming season. They can sign guys with the MLE (10M) and the BAE (4M) and minimums. And they can re-sign their own FAs (Boucher, Thad, Yuta - all of them with Bird Rights - and Bonga, who they have no significant rights to and could offer a near minimum or an exception), or sign and trade the Bird Rights guys. And then of course trades.

But the tools they have available to them (or lack thereof) are not going to force their hand into trading a guy they want to keep. I could definitely see a Gary trade. I could long shot see a Fred trade. I'd think any Pascal, OG or Scottie trade they would have to be absolutely blown away by the offer.

Personally I'd be trying for a Gary trade and then whatever comes back from that helps you determine where you need to fill out the rest of the roster. But assuming no major trades, I'd be thinking the MLE for a backup guard who can shoot and defend would be top of the list. What I'm curious about is how willing they will be to use the MLE with term, very soon they'll be facing a salary crunch with impending raises for the whole core, so unless they already plan to move one of those guys (hence the suggestion to move Gary in a trade) they might prefer the cap flexibility. But if they do move a core piece, they might like having someone locked in on the mid-level if they think they are a bona fide rotation contributor.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Can't remember which thread some of us were talking about if LeBron would ever surpass Jordan in net worth, but there's a nice breakdown of LBJ's earnings. He became the NBA's first active player to be worth $1B.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ion-per-forbes

Pretty crazy as you start reading the breakdown of investments. These guys have such a wide spread portfolio with all their connections.
                                I still have no clue how these articles say Jordan is only worth $1.7B when he owns 97% of an NBA franchise. The Hornets are worth more than that alone. Then you add in Jordan brand and everything else and he's well above $2B net worth. I think they just wanna make Lebron seem closer to him than he actually is.

Also funny that article lists Space Jam 2 as a win for Lebron when it lost a ton of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X