The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

they've got him on a four year contract... why do they need to make a hasty trade for a package they find to be lacking? look how the ben simmons situation panned out
    There is a mental toll on a front office when a player is holding them ransom. You can't enjoy summer league properly. Your coach's can't come up with plans on how they want to approach the new season. The locker room is in turmoil and gets the same questions asked by media on a daily basis. I think the sooner they trade Kyrie and KD the sooner they can move on as a team.

But there will be a breaking point. Houston got there when the season had already started with Harden. Philly waited until the deadline as you stated. I think Brooklyn gets there a lot sooner. I suspect a trade by early to mid July. That's when everyone is in Vegas for summer league.. that's also when Kawhi got moved to Toronto a few years back.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We'll see what the final parameters are, but I'm still not convinced we are a championship contender if we have KD and we trade Pascal for him. We're better, but not quite a chip contender (maybe a 2nd round exit instead of the 1st). KD got swept and Kyrie played every playoff game last year. That Brooklyn team sans KD is almost the same as the Raptors team sans Pascal. You'd need to see a huge leap in improvement from Scottie in year 2.

Either way the TWolves wrecked the market. We'd have to give up 4 unprotected picks and 3 pick swaps (ie, the most you can offer in draft capital) to get him. That means we're only getting picks in 3 years and can't use any in a trade to get better. KD is also 34 and not getting any younger. The picks at the end of KD's contract could be steals for Brooklyn. We basically have to treadmill until we can start using draft picks again of end up gifting lottery tickets to the Nets.

As for the Warriors rumour.. that was debunked by someone else. Wiggins can't be traded to Brooklyn as he's a designated rookie. Nets would have to trade Simmons as well to make a deal that works.

I am not going to convince you that the Raptors will become a championship contender if we have KD and we trade Pascal for him. Just like me not pushing too hard a few days ago, convincing you that KD don’t have any veto power to a possible trade to a team outside of Phoenix and Miami.

so I will let this play out. We can always agree to disagree….lol.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Seems like that's a scenario where KD wants to go no where but Phoenix and Brooklyn has no say. Basically Brooklyn gets Bridges, Gary and picks for KD. I'd say OG is a better player and a year younger than Bridges. Brooklyn could just take the OG, Gary and picks deal.
        IMO, I highlighted what I believe is limit (notice its PICK, not picks). Now, if another teams does Minny (something like 5 unprotected picks) -don't let the door hit you.
        Durant showed a ??major slowing down vs Boston. Prospect of paying 36 yo Durant 50 mil in 2 years -hell no.

Comment

We'll see what the final parameters are, but I'm still not convinced we are a championship contender if we have KD and we trade Pascal for him. We're better, but not quite a chip contender (maybe a 2nd round exit instead of the 1st). KD got swept and Kyrie played every playoff game last year. That Brooklyn team sans KD is almost the same as the Raptors team sans Pascal. You'd need to see a huge leap in improvement from Scottie in year 2.

Either way the TWolves wrecked the market. We'd have to give up 4 unprotected picks and 3 pick swaps (ie, the most you can offer in draft capital) to get him. That means we're only getting picks in 3 years and can't use any in a trade to get better. KD is also 34 and not getting any younger. The picks at the end of KD's contract could be steals for Brooklyn. We basically have to treadmill until we can start using draft picks again of end up gifting lottery tickets to the Nets.

As for the Warriors rumour.. that was debunked by someone else. Wiggins can't be traded to Brooklyn as he's a designated rookie. Nets would have to trade Simmons as well to make a deal that works.

I dont know about that. If anything Minnesota set the bar on what not to do. Everyone thinks utah fleeced them. If thats the bar a trade would be made by now no ones offering that bounty of picks

Comment

• The longer it takes the more time other teams have to put together a package. Nets must be adamant about Scottie and or Pascal.

Comment

• Raps +250 Suns -120

oops. PM beat me to it

Comment

There is a mental toll on a front office when a player is holding them ransom. You can't enjoy summer league properly. Your coach's can't come up with plans on how they want to approach the new season. The locker room is in turmoil and gets the same questions asked by media on a daily basis. I think the sooner they trade Kyrie and KD the sooner they can move on as a team.

But there will be a breaking point. Houston got there when the season had already started with Harden. Philly waited until the deadline as you stated. I think Brooklyn gets there a lot sooner. I suspect a trade by early to mid July. That's when everyone is in Vegas for summer league.. that's also when Kawhi got moved to Toronto a few years back.

i get your point but they're not going to relent and take a package they're not comfortable with just to "move on." everything is at stake for them right now, and they've got all the time in the world to wait for a deal they find palatable. a deal may very well get done in the next few hours to days but i just don't think that'll be because the nets felt pressure to make one, it's because they found a package they're ok with.

irving is another story because he has close to zero trade value and only one or maybe two suitors (both in LA), so the stakes are comparatively much lower.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

I dont know about that. If anything Minnesota set the bar on what not to do. Everyone thinks utah fleeced them. If thats the bar a trade would be made by now no ones offering that bounty of picks
                  I hope you're right.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    The longer it takes the more time other teams have to put together a package. Nets must be adamant about Scottie and or Pascal.
                    Not this off-season. Only teams that could make a trade for KD are the Raptors and Suns, if they can get a third team for Ayton. If its into the trade deadline and into next off-season then other teams will gear up for a trade, however can the Nets wait that long?

Philly could afford to wait for a Simmons trade because they were still a Playoff team and their superstar is committed to the team. The Nets two best players want out.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I doubt Scottie and Pascal are.

All of these reports about how Nets don't want to pair Scottie with Simmons or how the Nets can just wait it out seems like they're trying to save face.
                      So wait. Who the hell is rushing them?
                      Wait for what? Till somebody offers Ayton a max contract then he is not going anywhere?
                      Rudy G deal has to throw them off. Slim chance that they (Nets) get that or much better. I just dont see it.
                      More & more teams are signing mega deals (Chicago, Nola, Clev...) and are near or over the cap. Harder to deal.
                      Trent, Young & 2023 FRP may look good in a month.
                      I'm sure Masai is a very patient man.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

I am liking this new mars as he is joining the waiting game now, the past 72 hours, he was still leading the “it’s a moot point discussion”hehe

Nets just threw a bone to Marc Spears with a smokescreen that Warriors are also interested…lol. Sean Marks is trying to boost the price for KD, hopefully Masai may budge. What a tool Spears is, always trying to be Relevant.
                        GS? Seriously? You expect him to fold his tail & go back to GS, where they said, did not need him. Even less so now.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i get your point but they're not going to relent and take a package they're not comfortable with just to "move on." everything is at stake for them right now, and they've got all the time in the world to wait for a deal they find palatable. a deal may very well get done in the next few hours to days but i just don't think that'll be because the nets felt pressure to make one, it's because they found a package they're ok with.

irving is another story because he has close to zero trade value and only one or maybe two suitors (both in LA), so the stakes are comparatively much lower.

Kyrie’s market price is a 1-yr rental, since he’s leaving for nothing if the Nets don’t trade him.

One thing people need to think about more: during contract negotiations, Durant threatened a trade request if the Nets didn’t sign Kyrie long term at a high price. He’s now making good on that threat, despite having 4 years on a valid contract. Joe Tsai basically had enough of the player empowerment era.

After spending major assets, do we want a player in our organization, who is willing to go scorched earth if they, or their buddy, don’t get what they want or things aren’t going their way?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Kyrie’s market price is a 1-yr rental, since he’s leaving for nothing if the Nets don’t trade him.

One thing people need to think about more: during contract negotiations, Durant threatened a trade request if the Nets didn’t sign Kyrie long term at a high price. He’s now making good on that threat, despite having 4 years on a valid contract. Joe Tsai basically had enough of the player empowerment era.

After spending major assets, do we want a player in our organization, who is willing to go scorched earth if they, or their buddy, don’t get what they want or things aren’t going their way?
                            If we send out the right package it is what it is. Losing Gary and OG hurts but if Durant wants a trade we’ll be able to recoup a significant portion of the value we’ll have to send out to get him IMO, even though it’ll be the second trade request in as many years. The reality is that his value is just too high and universally recognized.

Comment

• ^ That includes picks. We would assuredly get a couple picks + prospects back. Would set us back but Masai will asses the risk and make the right decision.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

generally no for me, though it depends on the price. if we can get him for OG,GTJ and picks as many here seem to think will happen, i'm alright with it. a bit uncomfortable with the picks but i tend to side with slaw on that, who posted the other day that they'd likely be late round picks and we seem to do alright finding talent around the margins anyway. anything more and i'm probably a no.

i'm super happy with where this franchise is right now and don't want to mortgage the future for KD. and i wouldn't trade scottie for him straight-up, let alone all the other shit the ESPN talking heads are adding to those hypothetical deals.

Comment

Working...
                                X