Everything Trade Deadline 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

They did? A first that's likely to be middle to back end of the first round? Meh. The seconds are magic beans approaching zero value and they traded nothing off the roster (no offence to Birch). In exchange they get a starting centre who fits the organization for the next 4-5 years. Seems fair to me.
    Not only is Birch useless, he was also under contract next season, so we cleared bad salary too. 2024 is not going to be a good draft. Getting Poeltl for a 20s draft pick in a bad draft is a good deal.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

100 second round picks went out this trade deadline, they don't have a lot of value.
      People get way too worked up about picks.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

It's a joke post. The Miami Herald article doesn't say that. They just added in that paragraph to be funny.
        Oh okay.. should have read the source article. Thnx

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Well if you watch this team it's pretty obvious really who the selfish players are. Number 1 is Siakam, Two is Trent. The guy doesn't pass the ball ever. Three is Fred.
          Bang on Great One.
          Guy trying 2 make all star, the other 2 try get new contracts.
          Wait till next year, yikes
          Og and siakim are both Free Agents next year.
          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

People get way too worked up about picks.
            Well not really. Unless you can afford to go extremely deep into the luxury tax (like Golden State), you have to have a few rotation/depth pieces on rookie scale and lower-dollar second contracts to build a legit contender. Raps had 4 of those guys (FVV, Powell, Siakam, OG) on the championship team. That means drafting well and developing players while you are winning & building. You need draft picks for that. And it's especially important in the Raps situation where you don't have that alpha, like Lebron, who can drag guys like Dellavadova and Mosgov to the Finals. You can also flip those young developing guys (e.g. Jakob, JV & Delon) for veteran players (Kawhi, Green, Gasol) to put you over the top. Suns just did that to snag KD.

Our past history (pre-Nurse) has been exceptional at drafting and developing, so it should be a franchise strength to build on, not to ignore.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The draft and free agency are both wildly different ways to add players to your team though. The fact they're only 13 days apart doesn't mean they aren't completely separate times of the year to improve your team. You literally cannot sign free agents during the draft, and you cannot draft players during free agency. Even more acute is that you can't sign and trade during the draft because free agency hasn't started yet. So if we want to deal Fred or Gary in the offseason we can't do it for draft compensation this year. I don't see the logical reason to say draft and free agency are some combined event.
              100%...
              What I am droning on about is that there are only a couple of opptys to address your roster...

One in June/July with the Draft and FA.
              The other is the swap meet that is the trade deadline in February.
              Net is the planning that goes into the draft and FA are not mutually exclusive. There are a ton of what ifs that get sorted in June/July as they prep for the draft and FA..

Still not moving me off the puck that the GM's missed at the trade deadline... Its like they got halfway done. They picked up the centre we have been clamouring for for about 3 years now but didn't finish the next step in the process which was to replace the draft pick it cost us to get tJak and another younger player who might eventually start but would give the bench a real boost. I would miss OG but Precious is a good succession plan.
              Its like they held out for a little bit more on OG and whatever the offer on the phone at that time was, expired as the phone went down.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Feb 10, 2023, 01:49 PM.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I mean, sure, we can ignore the reports if we want. It's not conjecture, it's sourced info. Maybe it's wrong, sure, but it's not the same thing as conjecture.

Not sure what you were hoping for in terms of reports. That's what they are, sourced info. If you were hoping for video footage of the calls I don't know what to tell you.
                They are the best guesses of guys who were also not in the war room listening on the phone.
                One set of insiders tell you that they got offered junk. Another set says they got offered gold.
                So perhaps not junk but probably not 3 FRP and a last years FRP as the player.
                Not moving off the puck that the GM's whiffed .... the general body language and tone of the pressers by the GM's reinforced that for me.
                For the first time in a decade Ujiri looked timid. Offering up the shiboleth that internal organic growth from the same guys who are a pedistrian 26up and 30down just needs more time. You can advance. You can retreat. But if you stand still while in the middle of the pack like the GM did....your done for.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Well not really. Unless you can afford to go extremely deep into the luxury tax (like Golden State), you have to have a few rotation/depth pieces on rookie scale and lower-dollar second contracts to build a legit contender. Raps had 4 of those guys (FVV, Powell, Siakam, OG) on the championship team. That means drafting well and developing players while you are winning & building. You need draft picks for that. And it's especially important in the Raps situation where you don't have that alpha, like Lebron, who can drag guys like Dellavadova and Mosgov to the Finals. You can also flip those young developing guys (e.g. Jakob, JV & Delon) for veteran players (Kawhi, Green, Gasol) to put you over the top. Suns just did that to snag KD.

Our past history (pre-Nurse) has been exceptional at drafting and developing, so it should be a franchise strength to build on, not to ignore.
                  Raps have 5 young guys on the roster and play 1 of them (once in a while). I'm all for drafting and developing guys (lost art in the NBA for a long time) but you can only have so many of them. I wouldn't favor throwing away a bunch of first round picks recklessly but is there a material difference between the 50th pick and a guy you can sign as an undrafted free agent? Sure, you might hit on that pick but you probably have just as good of a chance hitting on the undrafted FA.

The fact teams were throwing them around like candy yesterday says more about the value of those second rounders than anything.

Comment

Raps have 5 young guys on the roster and play 1 of them (once in a while). I'm all for drafting and developing guys (lost art in the NBA for a long time) but you can only have so many of them. I wouldn't favor throwing away a bunch of first round picks recklessly but is there a material difference between the 50th pick and a guy you can sign as an undrafted free agent? Sure, you might hit on that pick but you probably have just as good of a chance hitting on the undrafted FA.

The fact teams were throwing them around like candy yesterday says more about the value of those second rounders than anything.
                    Speaking of 2RPs, the head-scratcher to me was Bones Hyland who the Clippers picked up for pennies on the dollar. Exactly the type of guard depth we need off the bench, who provides firepower (playmaking & shooting) and is on a rookie contract. Not sure if the 2 SRPs we gave up to get Jak (or more likely... to dump Birch's contract) factored into not getting Bones, since the Raptors were rumored to be interested.

Not really hung up on 2RPs, because in theory, we should be able to buy them at the draft, since a few teams are loaded with them, and you only have so many roster spots. Raps never seem to buy picks, though.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Speaking of 2RPs, the head-scratcher to me was Bones Hyland who the Clippers picked up for pennies on the dollar. Exactly the type of guard depth we need off the bench, who provides firepower (playmaking & shooting) and is on a rookie contract. Not sure if the 2 SRPs we gave up to get Jak (or more likely... to dump Birch's contract) factored into not getting Bones, since the Raptors were rumored to be interested.

Not really hung up on 2RPs, because in theory, we should be able to buy them at the draft, since a few teams are loaded with them, and you only have so many roster spots. Raps never seem to buy picks, though.
                      Based on some of the Nuggets sites, sounds like Hyland had become an off the court issue. The complaining about playing time went over like a lead balloon as well. If Ujiri was concerned about selfishness then bringing in a guy complaining about playing time on a 1st place team probably wasn't on the to-do list.

Comment

They did? A first that's likely to be middle to back end of the first round? Meh. The seconds are magic beans approaching zero value and they traded nothing off the roster (no offence to Birch). In exchange they get a starting centre who fits the organization for the next 4-5 years. Seems fair to me.
                        To end of first round? If poetl catapults us into a top 5 or 10 in the league ok but that sounds like wishful thinking

also if poetl is expected to get 20ish million a year and got a first and two seconds why is it that our asset in fred who is expecting 30+ couldnt even get a first?

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

They are the best guesses of guys who were also not in the war room listening on the phone.
                          One set of insiders tell you that they got offered junk. Another set says they got offered gold.
                          So perhaps not junk but probably not 3 FRP and a last years FRP as the player.
                          Not moving off the puck that the GM's whiffed .... the general body language and tone of the pressers by the GM's reinforced that for me.
                          For the first time in a decade Ujiri looked timid. Offering up the shiboleth that internal organic growth from the same guys who are a pedistrian 26up and 30down just needs more time. You can advance. You can retreat. But if you stand still while in the middle of the pack like the GM did....your done for.
                          I have seen no one suggest they were offered gold. Every report has been about how the offers fell short or the Raptors prices were considered too pricey for the other teams. The ONLY reports I've seen are that there were multi-pick packages for OG (all of which project to be low on lottery picks) with no established prospects included, and the offers for Fred that have been reported are all awful.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• We were all upset that a big trade didn't happen and we actually added instead of breaking it down a bit... but I think if you look at it from Masai's view, there are at least 4 players that they were receiving good offers on and they saw how teams valued their talent, maybe it's best to not rush to judgement because 3 months of bad play (first month they ended above .500 9-8). So he added a need that was identified last off-season, and they'll evaluate and tweak if needed in the summer. We need a few more shooters, that's for sure.

Masai has always said the trade deadline is not a place to plan for the future. Masai puts a lot of value on personalities, it might be harder to make those decisions with a time crunch.

Comment

Based on some of the Nuggets sites, sounds like Hyland had become an off the court issue. The complaining about playing time went over like a lead balloon as well. If Ujiri was concerned about selfishness then bringing in a guy complaining about playing time on a 1st place team probably wasn't on the to-do list.
                              Playing time "should be" the last thing a capable rotation player needs to worry about on this team. Should be a match made in heaven. And haven't we touted our strong culture in the past?

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                We were all upset that a big trade didn't happen and we actually added instead of breaking it down a bit... but I think if you look at it from Masai's view, there are at least 4 players that they were receiving good offers on and they saw how teams valued their talent, maybe it's best to not rush to judgement because 3 months of bad play (first month they ended above .500 9-8). So he added a need that was identified last off-season, and they'll evaluate and tweak if needed in the summer. We need a few more shooters, that's for sure.

Masai has always said the trade deadline is not a place to plan for the future. Masai puts a lot of value on personalities, it might be harder to make those decisions with a time crunch.
                                Agree. Was hoping for more but its true we need to see how this team works with a solid C and decide whats next in summer. Also masai pointed out the two glaring problems in cohesion and 3 pt shooting so im cool with this plan

Comment

Working...
                                X