Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Optics may be working against some of you here. We don't see what's going on behind the scene and we don't see how well he reaches the players. Also keep in mind the chain of command and how that might impact his own coaching. Just my two cents.
    We do know that Nurse wasn't reaching Kyle and DeMar behind the scenes until Masai stepped in and forced them to change. If Kyle and DeMar wanted to do the whole equal opportunity/ball-movement thing, it would have happened long ago, in spite of Casey.

Axel wrote: View Post
    At this point, I don't really expect the team to get blown up. Maybe one starter gets dealt, but largely, we are the same; hence the fresh voice angle.

But yeah, if Masai blows it up, then Nurse is a good choice.
    I still don't get that alpha dog vibe from Nurse, which is pretty important in managing those over-sized NBA egos and holding players accountable. I doubt that Masai wants to be the one always having to fill that role, like he did for Casey.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      We do know that Nurse wasn't reaching Kyle and DeMar behind the scenes until Masai stepped in and forced them to change. If Kyle and DeMar wanted to do the whole equal opportunity/ball-movement thing, it would have happened long ago, in spite of Casey.
      Why do you assume they're coming back?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Why do you assume they're coming back?
        The point here is that Nurse wasn't compelling as an influencer on Kyle, Demar or Casey - behind the scenes. Pure speculation, but that doesn't reflect well on Nurse as the main guy having to win buy-in from star players and team leaders, be it Kyle, DeMar or whoever else is brought in.

Comment

• "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Nurse has never struck me as a leader-type. He seems, temperamentally, more suited to work as an assistant. At least, at the NBA level.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Nurse has never struck me as a leader-type. He seems, temperamentally, more suited to work as an assistant. At least, at the NBA level.
              I agree with this assessment.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                Nurse has never struck me as a leader-type. He seems, temperamentally, more suited to work as an assistant. At least, at the NBA level.
                Yup. Beta.

This is what an Alpha Nurse looks like.....

Last edited by golden; Thu Jun 7, 2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I agree with this assessment.
                  golden wrote: View Post
                  Yup. Beta.

This is what an Alpha Nurse looks like.....

I fourth that motion
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Nice try greg pop burner account. Quit trying to help friends out
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Nice try greg pop burner account. Quit trying to help friends out
                        that's way too nice of a compliment. I'm more of a Billy King burner account
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Hiring Messina is a power move for the Raptors. Sends a message to the league that Raptors are not done yet.

Comment

• New assistants?
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

New assistants?
                              Man we're going full European

Comment

• Any opening he wants in Europe is his but Saras has been deliberately patient. He’s got a good thing going in Kaunas. He was revered in Lithuania before taking the job purely from his playing career. Now he’s shown that even with a miniscule budget, he could turn his side into one that can compete with anyone on the continent.
                                There are three natural landing spots for Saras in Europe. Panathinaikos in Athens, Barcelona, and Maccabi Tel Aviv. He won Euroleague titles with all three as a player and has often spoken of his fondness for the clubs. At least two of those jobs have been there for him before but he demured. Neither Barcelona nor Maccabi are, or at least were, in the position Saras needed to take command of the roster and build the type of defensively minded and offensively efficient monster he wants.

So he waits, in Kaunas, knowing that every front office in Europe is ready to jump for him should they wish to replace their coach. Now he’s gone up another level, just by getting invited in for a chat in Toronto, he’s made an already stacked pile of chips grow higher.

The options for Saras are simple. He can stay in Kaunas where, once more, he enters a season with anything better than 15th in Euroleague considered a good year. He can take a job with Barcelona or Maccabi, or even potentially CSKA Moscow where his budget would be obscene by continental standards, and look to build. Or he might get the big offer across the pond in a city where he can build a dynasty.

At 42 and barely two full years as a head coach, it’s not a bad situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X