Everything Raptors 23-24 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

Lowry and Derozan played 9 seasons in Toronto which is not much different than 7. I guess you wanna penalize VC for having insane longevity and playing until he was 43 years old.

The fact is his best years were in Toronto. He was our first All Star and had 6 All Star appearances as a Raptor. He was our first ever ROY. The Raptors set league attendance records with Vince and made the playoffs for the first time ever with Vince and won our first ever playoff series with Vince and he took us to 3 straight playoff appearances. Without Vince they probably move the team just like the Grizzlies.

Sorry but I won't stand for this VC slander. Management was awful that's why he left. He absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired by the Raptors.
    Well it was more like 6.5 seasons since he got traded and didn't finish the season. And he missed a bunch of games in 02 and 03. 1 whole season does mean more.. let alone 2 or 3 more seasons. And there was more winning with Lowry. DeMar I'm not really crazy about retiring either to be honest.

They would have never moved the team out of Toronto if Vince wasn't drafted / traded for. Toronto was never in danger of losing its team. I get why he would choose the Raptors as his HOF team. But it doesn't mean we have to reciprocate. Cool for fans that want to see his number up there. Personally I don't care. And again if he has a ceremony I'll watch.. but it would really not hit me hard.

My feelings towards him are a lot closer to how I feel about Bosh to be honest. The difference is Bosh won with Miami, and Carter didn't with the Nets. But it's basically the same difference to me. And yes I loved his dunks. But he pissed me off when he played like sh!t to get traded. That's on him. And yes management sucked, but he was definitely not professional about it.

I doubt Denver will retire Melo's number. Very similar types of players for both franchises too. The funny thing about Denver is that Jokic wears his number. Too bad Kyle didn't want to wear #15.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i do not agree man. to me he's getting in solely for his first 11 seasons (the little over 6 with the raps and almost 5 with the nets). he averaged over 20ppg in 10 of those 11 seasons in an era where scoring was way down, and made all-star 8 times.

if he retired after those 11 seasons he's a no-brainer HOFer.

to me it's the extra 13 seasons as journeyman role-player that has anyone questioning whether he's a HOFer
      No not if he didn't play for team USA. He'd be super border line.. but have less credentials than Michael Redd who is like the HOF barometer for most people. 2 all-nba's is a joke.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Carter is a cultural icon in Canadian hoops, for this generation of ballers. We’ve all heard them say it and there’s even a movie about. That’s more than enough reason to retire his jersey.

And speaking of Human Highlight Film… Dominique Wilkins had a very similar career to VC, and he’s in the HoF, Jersey in rafters and also 75th anniversary GOAT team. Never won a chip either.
        Nique was with Atlanta for 11 seasons though and didn't become an asshat when he wanted out of the organization. Plus he made all-nba 7 times.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

1. No
          2. Nope.

He's getting in not just because of his Raptor days (or Nets days). He got gold with the US. That is a key reason why he's getting in since he hasn't done much in the NBA (furthest he ever got was the 2nd round). He made All-NBA just twice (2nd and 3rd team).

But he played 24 years and has a long series of longevity awards. That's not easy to do. So his time in Dallas, Atlanta, Sacramento definitely helped him get in.

If he retired after he played for the Nets, and never played for team US I don't think he sniffs the Hall.
          I 100% disagree. If VC retired after his last year with the Nets he'd still be in the HOF.

VC is going to the HOF solely because of his career with the Raptors. If you take his Raptors career out, no chance he gets in the HOF. Longevity means nothing unless you're productive like LeBron James.

Jamal Crawford, Charles Oakley, Juwan Howard, Cliff Robinson etc all played 18+ years. Do you think they'd come close to getting in the hall? no.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I 100% disagree. If VC retired after his last year with the Nets he'd still be in the HOF.

VC is going to the HOF solely because of his career with the Raptors. If you take his Raptors career out, no chance he gets in the HOF. Longevity means nothing unless you're productive like LeBron James.

Jamal Crawford, Charles Oakley, Juwan Howard, Cliff Robinson etc all played 18+ years. Do you think they'd come close to getting in the hall? no.
            None of those guys played for team USA.. so that's why they won't get in. It's the Basketball HOF not NBA HOF. So international experience means a lot. That's why Kyle is likely a lock to make the Hall too.

Didn't Howard get in via the Fab-5 thing? So he's sort of in already. Although I think Crawford might still get some love.

Comment

None of those guys played for team USA.. so that's why they won't get in. It's the Basketball HOF not NBA HOF. So international experience means a lot. That's why Kyle is likely a lock to make the Hall too.

Didn't Howard get in via the Fab-5 thing? So he's sort of in already. Although I think Crawford might still get some love.
              So I'll use Grant Hill as an example then. Do you think he's in the hall because of longevity? no it's because of his career at Duke.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

No not if he didn't play for team USA. He'd be super border line.. but have less credentials than Michael Redd who is like the HOF barometer for most people. 2 all-nba's is a joke.
                still totally disagree. find me the 2 time all-NBA player with 8 all-star appearances and perenially among the leag-leaders in scoring for a decade who is NOT in the HOF.

michael redd made all-star and all-NBA 3rd team once. if that's your barometer, vince first 11 seasons has shatters it.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

So I'll use Grant Hill as an example then. Do you think he's in the hall because of longevity? no it's because of his career at Duke.
                  Yeah NCAA definitely helps. But also got a Gold in '96. And was a 5x all-nba player (one of those was 1st team).

Comment

still totally disagree. find me the 2 time all-NBA player with 8 all-star appearances and perenially among the leag-leaders in scoring for a decade who is NOT in the HOF.

michael redd made all-star and all-NBA 3rd team once. if that's your barometer, vince first 11 seasons has shatters it.
                    Amar'e Stoudemire is sort of close.. he made all-nba 4 times, and was a 6x all-star. Has a bronze in the olympics (lol). And isn't in.

Comment

• Michael Redd has an Olympic Gold and a FIBA Gold. I think that's why he got in. It's not because of his NBA resume.

Comment

Well it was more like 6.5 seasons since he got traded and didn't finish the season. And he missed a bunch of games in 02 and 03. 1 whole season does mean more.. let alone 2 or 3 more seasons. And there was more winning with Lowry. DeMar I'm not really crazy about retiring either to be honest.

They would have never moved the team out of Toronto if Vince wasn't drafted / traded for. Toronto was never in danger of losing its team. I get why he would choose the Raptors as his HOF team. But it doesn't mean we have to reciprocate. Cool for fans that want to see his number up there. Personally I don't care. And again if he has a ceremony I'll watch.. but it would really not hit me hard.

My feelings towards him are a lot closer to how I feel about Bosh to be honest. The difference is Bosh won with Miami, and Carter didn't with the Nets. But it's basically the same difference to me. And yes I loved his dunks. But he pissed me off when he played like sh!t to get traded. That's on him. And yes management sucked, but he was definitely not professional about it.

I doubt Denver will retire Melo's number. Very similar types of players for both franchises too. The funny thing about Denver is that Jokic wears his number. Too bad Kyle didn't want to wear #15.
                        I live in USA and there were constant rumors of Toronto losing the team after VC left. I can understand why they didn't put that on TV in Canada but it was a very real possibility if VC hadn't brought those selllout crowds. Had the Raptors kept Antawn Jamison instead then the frnachise likely gets moved to a city in USA.

Comment

Amar'e Stoudemire is sort of close.. he made all-nba 4 times, and was a 6x all-star. Has a bronze in the olympics (lol). And isn't in.
                          amar'e stoudemire was never once the best player on his own team

Comment

Michael Redd has an Olympic Gold and a FIBA Gold. I think that's why he got in. It's not because of his NBA resume.
                            is michael redd in the HOF?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I live in USA and there were constant rumors of Toronto losing the team after VC left. I can understand why they didn't put that on TV in Canada but it was a very real possibility if VC hadn't brought those selllout crowds. Had the Raptors kept Antawn Jamison instead then the frnachise likely gets moved to a city in USA.
                              I live in Canada.. and no Toronto was not losing its team. Toronto is a world class city. One of the largest in NA. Why would the NBA relocate them?

Comment

is michael redd in the HOF?
                                Yes

Comment

Working...
                                X