Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exit interviews & MU's news conference - MLSE APPROVES D-LEAGUE TEAM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post

most meaningful and intelligent post on this thread.

I laugh at most of the arrogance here, guys who just talk as if what they, or a collective "we" on a message board are actually better positioned either intellectually or physically to make such bold statements about how to run an NBA basketball team.

Casey had that team running on all cylinders last year for quite a while, he knows what the fuck he's doing, so please, stop with the bullshit about him being anything but a very intelligent guy. Thats it.

Now as for whether or not he stays. Here's where a few people have brought up something I fully support, and thats the fact that in any situation in ALL pro sports, losing the room as a coach is a natural thing to happen, and only in a few situations have any pro coaches lasted for a decade or so. Once it happens, it makes it easy to make a decision. until I know for sure whats happening in that room, I dont even have an opinion. I can say this though, I never liked Lou Williams, and I hated him coming here.... hoped it would be good, but my fears were realized..... complete continuity killer. JJ, I dunno, love him, but he can be a wingnut...I wonder what his role was... and Lastly, lowry, what the hell happened with him.... and was it tied to the other guys??

The rest of the team actually seemed pretty much as is, you know what youre getting. DD had a rough inmjry but worked back as best he could.... kept attacking, and I think got better. ross.... sigh.... JV, baby steps..... Amir, corroding. the rest....meh.

Masai has a tough job but it might be fun to see chaos thi ssummer..... like shulman said here.... none of these guys are his!!!!

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I think the beauty of 2016 is theres a lot of Bruno ready to be everything Terrence Ross was not - a 3&D athletic beast.
      Heh...what?
      Have you seen Bruno play basket ball?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        My first 2 years on this board I was the biggest homer and happy go lucky fan you could imagine.

I have learned you can still be a fan while also questioning and criticizing.

But I will say this: I preferred my happy go lucky times over the past few years. It really is more enjoyable having hope and promise.

Hopefully hope and promise returns with a firing and some trading in the next couple of months.
        how can he say most of what you say comes true, when ALL of what i say comes true, AND you always oppose me hahahaha

Funtimes ahead McNemisis..... likely we will be on the same side for most o fit.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I think the point is more you don't do something for the sake of it. You do something if it's the right move. If you make the wrong move you likely waste those years anyway. There's no need to do something just because you can this summer. That's just the wrong way to go about building a team.

That's like the Bulls signing Carlos Boozer. They would've been better off simply not making that move, but they had flexibility and there were a lot of big names on the free agent market. So they took the biggest name they could get at the position of biggest need and destroyed their ability to keep building the team for years.
          I definitely get that. But it's gotten to the point where people are afraid of making a move because any move could turn out to be like Carlos Boozer (or the dreaded BC move).

Fear of making a mistake is just as crippling as actually making a mistake.

I don't think we need to make a move for the sake of making a move. I think if the 2016 FA class is our aim, a lack of action this summer will simply lead to another wasted season in 2015-16, which in turn will hurt our competitive position next summer. And aside from the fact that we could end up waiting for nothing, there's a real opportunity cost to three years of inaction. Lots of young teams will be improving the way the Bucks are improving, while we'll potentially end up standing still.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            I definitely get that. But it's gotten to the point where people are afraid of making a move because any move could turn out to be like Carlos Boozer (or the dreaded BC move).

Fear of making a mistake is just as crippling as actually making a mistake.

I don't think we need to make a move for the sake of making a move. I think if the 2016 FA class is our aim, a lack of action this summer will simply lead to another wasted season in 2015-16, which in turn will hurt our competitive position next summer. And aside from the fact that we could end up waiting for nothing, there's a real opportunity cost to three years of inaction. Lots of young teams will be improving the way the Bucks are improving, while we'll potentially end up standing still.
            I dunno Scraps, you might be over-analyzing my post a tad. I'm all for big, bold moves and was probably one of the first posters to suggest that Lowry should be traded, when everyone was dumping on DD way back. But if, for example, the market for Lowry is back to Iman Shumpert and a 2nd rounder, then don't make that move. Simple as that. And take the heat from the fans for supposed inaction, since only Masai knows what deals were truly on the table.

At the other end of the spectrum you've got bloggers like Tim W criticizing MU for not landing Wiggins in some phantom off-season trade that only Tim knows about, and holding that out as evidence of inaction. Basically, when deals are not done, we rarely get any public insight as to why. The knixed Lowry deal was an exception.

Comment

• superjudge wrote: View Post
              how can he say most of what you say comes true, when all of what i say comes true, and you always oppose me hahahaha

funtimes ahead mcnemisis..... Likely we will be on the same side for most o fit.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Did MU talk about what the developmental plans for Bebe and Bruno this summer is aside from weight gain of Bruno ???

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  I dunno Scraps, you might be over-analyzing my post a tad. I'm all for big, bold moves and was probably one of the first posters to suggest that Lowry should be traded, when everyone was dumping on DD way back. But if, for example, the market for Lowry is back to Iman Shumpert and a 2nd rounder, then don't make that move. Simple as that. And take the heat from the fans for supposed inaction, since only Masai knows what deals were truly on the table.

At the other end of the spectrum you've got bloggers like Tim W criticizing MU for not landing Wiggins in some phantom off-season trade that only Tim knows about, and holding that out as evidence of inaction. Basically, when deals are not done, we rarely get any public insight as to why. The knixed Lowry deal was an exception.
                  Fair enough, but I doubt you'd find anyone who would advocate Lowry's current contract for Shumpert and a 2nd rounder. The hard decisions are ones that are closer to fair.

I agree 100% we shouldn't do anything stupid just for the sake of action. But at the same time, if you don't act, you can never be criticized. You can always say you don't want to jeopardize the future. You can always delay the starting point to some nebulous point in the future.

I mean, I remember when people were saying we'd see Masai's vision last summer in 2014, and then later by the trade deadline, and then when Landry/Hayes expired and we had some capspace this summer of 2015... and now the starting point now seems to be shifting toward 2016.

I just find it puzzling. It's almost as if people are beginning to convince themselves that it would be fine if we stand pat again this summer.

I mean, if we don't do anything, are we going to hear the same refrain next playoffs, that Masai had no choice, that this isn't "his roster" or "his coach"?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    It might not be bulletproof logic, but we also don't know what Masai's approach is, especially in regards to coaches.

He's inherited two coaches so far in his young (people need to remember this) career as a GM. Maybe he doesn't know what type of coach he wants, or perhaps more specifically, what kind of work dynamic can work best (which is obviously also dependent on the coach's personality).

I can't imagine having a dynamic with Karl where you can influence coaching decisions through exchanging ideas and opinions. It seems like part of the reason Karl was let go was because he wasn't in tune with the front office.

And maybe Masai thought that could be the best way. Let the coach coach and he'll take care of managing. Now maybe he's unsure of that, and willing to try and develop a more synergistic approach. It's not like we have a great idea of what model works best. Pop runs the show in San Antonio, but I can't imagine he wouldn't take input from Buford to try and improve things (but again, do we have a clue?). Maybe he thinks he has a chance to try that with Casey this year...I don't know.

I still hope Casey is gone sometime very soon.
                    Masai is young, and I guess it is a little unrealistic to expect him not be be learning as well.

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    There needs to be some kind of statute of limitations on invoking BC as an excuse for doing nothing.
                    Agree 100%. Throwing up Coangelo parallels is reductive to the point of meaninglessness, at least at this point. Masai has free range from me until the trade deadline 2016, because although, I do want to see moves sooner rather than later, but I don't want any panic, or desperate moves. If other GMs smell desperation, then the value of your guys takes a hit.

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Masai has a tough job but it might be fun to see chaos thi ssummer..... like shulman said here.... none of these guys are his!!!!
                    Except, that he gave Casey and Lowry and extension, so they are at least kinda his guys, not that I think that's a reason for criticism, just that, both those guys have contracts with his signature on them.

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    I agree 100% we shouldn't do anything stupid just for the sake of action. But at the same time, if you don't act, you can never be criticized. You can always say you don't want to jeopardize the future. You can always delay the starting point to some nebulous point in the future.

I just find it puzzling. It's almost as if people are beginning to convince themselves that it would be fine if we stand pat again this summer.

I mean, if we don't do anything, are we going to hear the same refrain next playoffs, that Masai had no choice, that this isn't "his roster" or "his coach"?
                    I am seeing the same trend as you on this board. Although, I think that you have to give Masai a little more time than just this off season, because, the value may not be there for Lowry and/or Derozan. BUT yes, Masai has be using the "need to evaluate" mantra. The evaluation period is over. Obviously, he's in a unique situation, but I've done plenty of hiring, and I finally stopped doing interviews and just hired people for a trial period. It started with one month, then was two weeks, and finally I just had people come in for 1 day. One day was enough for me to answer the question, "Is this person exceptional?" if they were, they'd be hired, if not, I'd just keep bringing more people in. Again, Masai's situation is different, but he's had TWO YEARS with roster and head coach, people are what they are, and they are more likely to stay the same than to change. He's not going to get any new information. He's got everything he needs to make decisions or he never will. Again, he keeps things close to his chest (unless he's working with an org that leaks stuff *cough* knicks *cough*) so just because he's not telling us anything doesn't mean he's not doing anything. But I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid anymore. I'm waiting to see what he does, and I will evaluate him on that.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      most meaningful and intelligent post on this thread.

I laugh at most of the arrogance here, guys who just talk as if what they, or a collective "we" on a message board are actually better positioned either intellectually or physically to make such bold statements about how to run an NBA basketball team.

Casey had that team running on all cylinders last year for quite a while, he knows what the fuck he's doing, so please, stop with the bullshit about him being anything but a very intelligent guy. Thats it.

Now as for whether or not he stays. Here's where a few people have brought up something I fully support, and thats the fact that in any situation in ALL pro sports, losing the room as a coach is a natural thing to happen, and only in a few situations have any pro coaches lasted for a decade or so. Once it happens, it makes it easy to make a decision. until I know for sure whats happening in that room, I dont even have an opinion. I can say this though, I never liked Lou Williams, and I hated him coming here.... hoped it would be good, but my fears were realized..... complete continuity killer. JJ, I dunno, love him, but he can be a wingnut...I wonder what his role was... and Lastly, lowry, what the hell happened with him.... and was it tied to the other guys??

The rest of the team actually seemed pretty much as is, you know what youre getting. DD had a rough inmjry but worked back as best he could.... kept attacking, and I think got better. ross.... sigh.... JV, baby steps..... Amir, corroding. the rest....meh.

Your posts would be a lot more enjoyable to read if you quit prefacing every post with how "arrogant" "ridiculous" "stupid" other posters are for daring to question the intelligence of NBA personnel. You have good points, but the continuous dismissal of people for sharing views (the point of a forum) has worn as thin as Casey's coaching.

If you think that all NBA personnel are irreproachable based on having the position, then I suggest you go through the very long history of terrible coaching and personnel decisions in NBA history. If we used your logic, then it would have been wrong for fans to criticize David Kahn for drafting both Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn ahead of Steph Curry and Demar DeRozan.

Just because the guy gets paid to make the decision, doesn't make the decision is even close to correct. So cut the pre-face and stick to the rest of your (often valid) points.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I don't understand the point of emphasizing that these aren't Masai's guys. If he didn't like them, he had full freedom to trade/not resign/fire them. The fact he didn't means he likes them and they are his guys.
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Seems to be a difference of opinion on who is the leader of this team between Masai and Casey as well.

Masai refers to Lowry as the engine of the team:

Never mind coaching, Lowry’s non-performance in the playoffs had far more to do with Toronto’s ugly exit than any other single factor. Ujiri threw his best player a lifeline on Tuesday, pointing out that Lowry’s dazzling work in DeMar DeRozan’s injury-induced absence earlier in the season took a toll on the point guard.

“We all know this guy’s the engine of our team,” Ujiri said. “He ran out of gas.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...h-feschuk.html

Yet Casey takes his own passive aggressive stab back at Lowry after the "he is a good man" slap:

Surely it wasn’t a coincidence that on Monday, after Lowry’s icy remarks about Casey, Casey attempted to empower the locker-room rise of DeMar DeRozan.

“This is his team,” Casey said of DeRozan. “He and Amir (Johnson) have been here the longest. If something’s going wrong in the locker room, speak up, say something, don’t just complain about it. And (DeRozan) is at that stage of his career now that he can speak up and be a leader, not depend on someone else to be a leader or listen to someone else. If you don’t agree with something, say something.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...h-feschuk.html

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Seems to be a difference of opinion on who is the leader of this team between Masai and Casey as well.

Masai refers to Lowry as the engine of the team:

Yet Casey takes his own passive aggressive stab back at Lowry after the "he is a good man" slap:
                            Intriguing. Hopefully this power struggle is quick and swift - with both Casey and Lowry deported.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• One thing is for sure, there's definitely brewing something behind the scenes between Casey, ujiri and Lowry
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                Your posts would be a lot more enjoyable to read if you quit prefacing every post with how "arrogant" "ridiculous" "stupid" other posters are for daring to question the intelligence of NBA personnel. You have good points, but the continuous dismissal of people for sharing views (the point of a forum) has worn as thin as Casey's coaching.

If you think that all NBA personnel are irreproachable based on having the position, then I suggest you go through the very long history of terrible coaching and personnel decisions in NBA history. If we used your logic, then it would have been wrong for fans to criticize David Kahn for drafting both Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn ahead of Steph Curry and Demar DeRozan.

Just because the guy gets paid to make the decision, doesn't make the decision is even close to correct. So cut the pre-face and stick to the rest of your (often valid) points.
                                its collective as well as individual arrogance. We're all guilty of it, myself included on a few occasions. Anyone claiming they know better, and anyone who has built a massive opinion about a coach, GM, or franchise based upon a foundation of speculation, and who then sell sit as indisputable fact is in fact ridiculous. Don't tell me what to cut, or what to leave in ok, you arent my editor, and if the comments hurt, or cut close, trust me, they were meant to.

Comment

Working...
                                X