Raptors waive AB, sign Jason Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    First of all Boban is 27, he's a rookie in the same way Pablo Prigioni was.

Second of all I want to point out that in 2013-14, we played two second year players over 2000 minutes. Which is more than anything you've listed there. We also have 3 guys who are still on rookie contracts logging heavy minutes right now.
    You can only have 15 guys on your NBA roster. For the Spurs, only 1 of their 15(Matt Bonner) has logged less than 250 minutes.

The Warriors? 12 guys over 250 minutes.

The Cavs? 13 guys.

The Thunder? 12 guys.

The Raptors? 10.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Fucking Casey. Masai says many teams were interested in Thompson and he's glad that Thompson chose Raptors. He'll have a key role. Then Casey calls a dude insurance policy and nobody losing minutes. WTF Casey pissed that Masai doesn't want Scola to start or something
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Fucking Casey. Masai says many teams were interested in Thompson and he's glad that Thompson chose Raptors. He'll have a key role. Then Casey calls a dude insurance policy and nobody losing minutes. WTF Casey pissed that Masai doesn't want Scola to start or something
        Ya ... Caseys an idiot.

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          i feel like you completely ignored the part where bebe got injured during that span, so he couldnt play at all....
          He played sporadically throughout the entire span, he wasn't injured.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            He played sporadically throughout the entire span, he wasn't injured.
            After the great golden state game, where he proved he deserved minutes. He injured his ankle or something during practise. And didn't play for the games after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
              After the great golden state game, where he proved he deserved minutes. He injured his ankle or something during practise. And didn't play for the games after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Not true. For the rest of the time JV was out. Bebe was inactive the next game (when he was hurt), then a DNP the next 2 games, then he played 2 games, sat 2 games, played 2 games, then JV came back.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Not true. For the rest of the time JV was out. Bebe was inactive the next game (when he was hurt), then a DNP the next 2 games, then he played 2 games, sat 2 games, played 2 games, then JV came back.
                Casey doesn't like playing young guys, I thought that was already established.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  A huge part of developing is playing at game speed, and playing against competition as good or better than you. No amount of shooting in the gym or dribbling around your practice partners or some wooden dummy can replicate that
                  It's not as if the D-league consists of guys who are leagues below our rookies in skill level. Who's to say that at this point of their development it isn't better to play them 30 something minutes in the d league than playing them 5-10 min in the NBA.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                    It's not as if the D-league consists of guys who are leagues below our rookies in skill level. Who's to say that at this point of their development it isn't better to play them 30 something minutes in the d league than playing them 5-10 min in the NBA.
                    In D-League they take a role of primary scorers. They see the ball a lot and while that's great in theory. In reality they will not play that way for us this year. So D-league doesn't prepare them for NBA.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                      First of all Boban is 27, he's a rookie in the same way Pablo Prigioni was.

Second of all I want to point out that in 2013-14, we played two second year players over 2000 minutes. Which is more than anything you've listed there. We also have 3 guys who are still on rookie contracts logging heavy minutes right now.
                      The backup behind Ross and Valancuinas in 2013/2014 was

for Ross: Fields (Injured), Salmons (still played way to much)
                      Valanciunas: Chuck Hayes

And we still saw Hayes and Amir play a lot of JV's crunch time minutes...and he still is struggling to get those minutes

This whole "Casey does play his young guys" thing does not pas any sniff test

And our player development program has been utter shit for years. Yes we have a DL team this year but it is kinda broken.....and will take years to get to the Spurs level, so for now developing with the big team is the better bet.

FYI I think Mermeys is a terrible developmental coach from what I have seen

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      In D-League they take a role of primary scorers. They see the ball a lot and while that's great in theory. In reality they will not play that way for us this year. So D-league doesn't prepare them for NBA.
                      Kudos

This is a big reason why I don't like our DL team or our garbage minutes.

Bruno is a spot up shooter. We have him in the DL dribbling driving

So next year he will not have a translatable skill and WILL struggle more than if we developed him properly

Comment

Yet somehow Wright was able to run the offense on Sunday without being the primary scorer. Just because they're primary scorers in the d-league doesn't mean they aren't able to tone down their role while playing in the NBA. Also if we're truly trying to "develop" them then they definitely do need to be in high level situations where they're seeing the ball a lot and are able to work through mistakes without affecting the record of the NBA club. The d league was created precisely for this reason

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                          Yet somehow Wright was able to run the offense on Sunday without being the primary scorer. Just because they're primary scorers in the d-league doesn't mean they aren't able to tone down their role while playing in the NBA. Also if we're truly trying to "develop" them then they definitely do need to be in high level situations where they're seeing the ball a lot and are able to work through mistakes without affecting the record of the NBA club. The d league was created precisely for this reason
                          In some cases you are right but for Delon and Norman they needed NBA minutes. Nobody could stay in front of Norman because D-league guards can't defend. So he never even bothered to shoot threes. Wright needs to learn how to defend real NBA PGs. How to defend real NBA pick and roll. I just don't think they can do that in D-league. Good on Delon he actually worked on his threes in D-league though.

Comment

• I think D-League minutes are valuable as far as staying in game shape and getting reps.

As far as actual NBA preparation, I think the value is somewhat dubious. The talent is a tier below. The best player in the D-League is generally on par with a 12th man in the NBA. You aren't getting any minutes with teammates or against opposition even close to NBA starter quality.
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

In some cases you are right but for Delon and Norman they needed NBA minutes. Nobody could stay in front of Norman because D-league guards can't defend. So he never even bothered to shoot threes. Wright needs to learn how to defend real NBA PGs. How to defend real NBA pick and roll. I just don't think they can do that in D-league. Good on Delon he actually worked on his threes in D-league though.
                              Powell attempts 3.14 threes a game in the D-league. I think the staff is getting to work on his three point stroke, it just doesn't seem to be ready quite yet (shooting .318, small sample size, but clearly hes not a long range shooter yet).

I agree that the competition is clearly not the same in the d-league, but I'm not advocating for these guys to spend multiple years down there. I'm just saying first/second year guys (depending on the how ready the guy is out of college) can use the d-league as a platform to make their transition to the NBA a lot smoother, and it might be a more effective way of transitioning than throwing them into the fire in very limited minutes.

Comment

Saw Norman play about a month ago and they defended him pretty well. 5 points in 34 minutes.

Players are down there for many reasons. Some are good defenders, but have insufficient NBA skills in other areas.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X