Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magoon wrote: View Post
    Here's the thing. None of those guys, the guys who can be traditional PFs but also have range, are available. None of them. They are immensely valuable. The biggest trade chip we have isn't Ross or even JV - it's 2Pat, who's undersized but does all the things a modern starting PF is expected to do, he's just not quite a starter.

So if you want this sort of PF, you either go with a prospect who's not there yet in some respects (like Gordon, who can't shoot) or you stick with Patterson and Siakam and hope Siakam becomes the guy. There really aren't any other options. The stars like Millsap and Love are locked up and not going anywhere. The second tier guys like Marvin Williams and Channing Frye and Tobias Harris are locked up and not available either. Ibaka is probably going to be available but he's a rental and Masai doesn't do rentals.
    Exactly, so what's the rush? If a guy with Gordon's potential is available for a steal, then sure. But otherwise don't give up assets for lateral moves. Eventually you run out of assets, and if you're still not better than the Lebron's, what have you accomplished?

Patience. The Raptors are still debeloping, have a lot of young talent, and haven't sold off half their picks. The team will still get better without doing anything. The next moves have to be for a top 20 player, and you flat out just have to wait for that opportunity. But if you've traded your most tradeable assets for Gordon-type players, you won't be a player if a bigger move is on the table.

Honestly for the weakest position the Siakam/PP/Carroll/Sullinger combination is not bad. Plenty of goood teams would be limited to that amount of talent at one of their 5 spots.

If/when a "big" move becomes a possibility, it may not even be for a PF.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

We have no idea if he'd be a better version of what he was last year. Or if he'd have much trade value at all in a trade shortly after being traded for - teams start to imagine red flags with that sort of turnaround.

Gordon's poor fit with the team's stars means his addition would not change the team's ceiling much at all, unless you are talking long term, in which case we are talking post-Lowry (or declining Lowry) anyway, when the team's current ceiling will be irrelevant, as they will be a superstar short of where they are now.

I'm fine with making a move like that - praying for sudden improvement from a guy who looks like a solid contributor anyway to make him a good fit is fine, if you are not making the move with the purpose of winning now. Let's just be realistic about who we'd be trading for - this is a guy with one good year in the league, and even in that year he was useless offensively except right at the rim.
      I'd recommend giving this article a read: http://bballbreakdown.com/2016/09/06...-aaron-gordon/

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
        I'd recommend giving this article a read: http://bballbreakdown.com/2016/09/06...-aaron-gordon/
        Yes, I've read it.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Fun discussion.
          To an extent the decision is philosophical.

If a trade presents itself that improves the team marginally do you say no to preserve assets for a larger deal? What happens if neitherAldridge, Millsap or Cousins become available? How long do you wait before trading for a power forward in the 2nd tier that improves the team (and that's available). If a 2nd tier PF doesn't move the needle past a Lebron led team do you just focus on organic growth and developing pics/youth.

Will be fun to see how this shakes out.

Comment

• Just to chime in on Aaron Gordon there is absolutely no way I would trade our picks to get him...he is all about potential and this is a mega draft where I guarantee right now that at least 1 or 2 guys in the 20+ will be as good if not better than he is and considering he really isn't much further along (and arguably behind) many of those players but his contract will be up sooner it and he has no significant immediate impact over Sully or Siakam, I really don't find him compelling at all unless it is a trade centered around Delon or Cory (no picks) for him. If that's too little, I have no problem with walking away.

Just try to list out the draft order this year and you'll see it's inevitable that at least a couple of great prospects will drop. Just off the top of my head I can see any of the following names having as much and in a few of them MORE potential than Gordon...seriously go watch some footage

COULD (and likely at least one will be in our range)

Isaiah Hartenstein
            Lauri Markkannen
            OG Anunoby (who is hands down better, already a good 3pt shooter n lockdown defender both things AG isn't)
            Jawun Evans
            Bam Adebayo
            Miles Bridges
            Frank Jackson
            Marques Bolden
            Johnathan Jeanne
            Malik Pope

Any one of them I can see being as good and again multiple I can actually see being better so if we're going to use these picks it better be for an obvious upgrade that we're confident can and will improve us...I like the line of thinking to find a younger player with upside as opposed to old players due for immediate big contracts and physical breakdown *ahem Millsap and Ibaka. Not saying that they're available but guys like Myles Turner, Porter, Oubre etc who have actually shown some breakout potential versus a guy like Gordon who outside of a dunk competition hasn't looked all that special.

Comment

• We have 11 players under the contract next year (CoJo, Wright, DeMar, Powell, Ross, Bruno, Caroll, Siakam, JV, Bebe, Big Schnitzel) + KLOE and PPat, our 2 draft picks that's 15 players so we don't have to trade for the sake of rooster spots. If that draft is really that deep maybe it's best to hold onto these picks. These contracts are extremely valuable, who knows how rookie deals may look in new CBA (GMs may be on hold with trades awaiting new rules, Dec 15th is the opt-out date, but new deal is expected to be in place on that day).

One contract that is bad in terms of cap space is DeMaree Caroll, but recently he played a lot better. Add contributions from Sullinger and our internal growth (just compare this and last season decision making from DeMar, Ross being consistent) and we have better fighting chance against Lebron's in the playoffs, whom may be slightly worse than last year, sure they are 13-2 but on one of the easiest schedule in the league while staying healthy.

Comment

• I don't disagree necessarily with what you're saying but many viewed the 2014 NBA draft as one of the strongest draft class's ever.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...est-in-history

Sometimes prospects and draft classes disappoint. It happens.
                That said, I like Masai's chances with two first round picks in a strong draft.
                It's also rumored the new CBA will allow for 2 extra roster spots to allow players to go to-from the D league more freely.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                  I don't disagree necessarily with what you're saying but many viewed the 2014 NBA draft as one of the strongest draft class's ever.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...est-in-history

Sometimes prospects and draft classes disappoint. It happens.
                  That said, I like Masai's chances with two first round picks in a strong draft.
                  It's also rumored the new CBA will allow for 2 extra roster spots to allow players to go to-from the D league more freely.
                  That's what's crazy, Masai was able to get guys like Powell and Siakam in MUCH, much weaker drafts. I'm 100% that if we hold onto our picks that at least one of them will be better than both of those guys...what if he drafts one guy BETTER than them and one just as good?! That would make a pretty damn substantial improvement to our team and there is actually a legit chance that he both picks could be better but of course there is no guarantee but I don't think a lot of posters get just how deep this draft is or seem to value our picks nearly enough.

If we trade em, it needs to be an obvious upgrade, they have a lot more value this year than most other years.

Comment

• Would you guys do this

to Miami :
                    -DeMarcus Cousins
                    -Ben McLemore

to Sac:
                    -JV
                    -Poeltl
                    -Winslow
                    -VanVleet
                    -1st RD pick LAC
                    -Miami 2018 2nd

To Raps:
                    -H-Whiteside
                    -Labissiere

Rotation would be

Lowry | Joseph | Wright
                    DeRozan | Powell
                    Carroll | Ross | Caboclo
                    Patterson | Sullinger | Siakam
                    Whiteside | Noguiera | Labissiere

In the P.O. an 8 man rotation of
                    Lowry - DeRozan - Carroll - Patterson - Whiteside
                    Cojo(PG)-Ross(SG/SF)-Jared(PF/C)

I know JV dominated Whiteside in the P.O. but Whiteside literally is perfect for how this team plays, and Casey would love him, He's a better Bismack
                    averaging 18/15/1/3/1 right now

He would rebound everything and won't need to be involved on offensive much
                    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                      Would you guys do this

to Miami :
                      -DeMarcus Cousins
                      -Ben McLemore

to Sac:
                      -JV
                      -Poeltl
                      -Winslow
                      -VanVleet
                      -1st RD pick LAC
                      -Miami 2018 2nd

To Raps:
                      -H-Whiteside
                      -Labissiere

Rotation would be

Lowry | Joseph | Wright
                      DeRozan | Powell
                      Carroll | Ross | Caboclo
                      Patterson | Sullinger | Siakam
                      Whiteside | Noguiera | Labissiere

In the P.O. an 8 man rotation of
                      Lowry - DeRozan - Carroll - Patterson - Whiteside
                      Cojo(PG)-Ross(SG/SF)-Jared(PF/C)

I know JV dominated Whiteside in the P.O. but Whiteside literally is perfect for how this team plays, and Casey would love him, He's a better Bismack
                      averaging 18/15/1/3/1 right now

He would rebound everything and won't need to be involved on offensive much
                      Cut Poeltl out of that deal and then we can talk

Comment

• Why wouldn't we just pony up an extra asset to replace Winslow and get Cousins ourselves instead of Whiteside?
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Most realistic trade I see happening is Ross/2pat + pick for Milsap. Ross would have to keep up his play to make it work.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Why wouldn't we just pony up an extra asset to replace Winslow and get Cousins ourselves instead of Whiteside?
                            Lol, this. And why would Cousins go to Miami to play with no one in a trade that involves the Raptors. No need to even involve Miami in this trade. Just let Sacramento keep Skal and add in Powell or Siakam to make up for not getting Winslow.

Playoff Rotation:
                            Lowry/CoJo/
                            DeMar/Ross
                            Carroll/Ross
                            2Pat/Sullinger
                            Cousins/Bebe

Comment

• I'd rather have Whiteside over Cousins. Hassan fits the team better than Cousins. His usage is at 23.5% this year and that's the first year without Wade on the team. He can still be dominant with 20% usage like he showed last year.

Can defend, block shots, and get up for lobs. Still a bit mentally dumb, but we don't need intelligence from that position.

Cousins is a top 10 player but can create so many problems fit wise. Not sure how well he'd do with low usage and deferring to our two guards.

JV/Ross for Whiteside? Not sure Miami would go for that considering Whiteside is so young and they can build around him.

Comment

• Wouldn't Whiteside be a better fit for this team? With every game I see Cousins play, the less I want the guy on the Raps.

Comment

Working...
                                X