Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I like the idea of signing our own free agents. We aren't going to win the arms race and land someone that moves the needle like Paul George. Continue to be a 50 win team, work on gaining some assets and flexibility and strike if an opportunity arises. The best thing we can do right now is perhaps to develop our future core of young talent.

By the way, when does Damian Lilard become a free agent? I'd love for the Raptors to make a run at him when he becomes available.
    Totally cool to run with a 50 win team for a while longer, but I don't think it's realistic to assume Masai manages to gain assets and long term flexibility doing so. You are basically guaranteed to be over the cap for the next couple years, meaning you won't get new free agents and you will struggle to keep the rookie scale guys (hoping they develop into good players).

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I would like the raps to bring in Ben McLemore. I wonder if the mid level exception could get him. Raptors sorely need an extra shooter. Shot 38.2 % from 3 last year.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      I think when it comes to McLemore (and for that matter, Kelly Olynyk, who I'd like to think would be a reasonably good fit with our bigs here), it's gong to come down to a matter of who is still available around the 8th or 10th of July or so once we have clarity on just how much we are paying to retain the free agents we have that we are keeping. I expect us to only have one exception that it makes sense for us to use, so we will most likely be looking at second-tier niche-filling players. And that may be fine for us, if there's a niche-filling player who is a good fit.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        Totally cool to run with a 50 win team for a while longer, but I don't think it's realistic to assume Masai manages to gain assets and long term flexibility doing so. You are basically guaranteed to be over the cap for the next couple years, meaning you won't get new free agents and you will struggle to keep the rookie scale guys (hoping they develop into good players).
        It may not happen over the span of one season, but why couldn't Masai move JV as Jacob becomes ready to step into his role, or Carroll, Cojo, maybe even Ibaka as OG, Wright etc. are ready for more p/t? Is it possible to trade one of our "big 3", each year for the next 3 years for a lottery pick (packaged with less established player or whatever it takes)? Then you can rebuild while staying competitive.

Comment

• I think when it comes to McLemore (and for that matter, Kelly Olynyk, who I'd like to think would be a reasonably good fit with our bigs here), it's gong to come down to a matter of who is still available around the 8th or 10th of July or so once we have clarity on just how much we are paying to retain the free agents we have that we are keeping. I expect us to only have one exception that it makes sense for us to use, so we will most likely be looking at second-tier niche-filling players. And that may be fine for us, if there's a niche-filling player who is a good fit
          Agreed. Until there is clarity on the Lowry situation, everything is on hold. Once that is done, Ibaka would be the next domino to fall and then you piece together the rest..... Raps don't have a tonne of flexibility but there are always options.

Comment

• lol

Comment

• Zach Lowe led me to this. As complete a breakdown of the Raptors offseason as you'll find anywhere.

I had to scroll down, I thought the icon would work but it doesn't. Starts on Page 307; Page 312 is where the player assessments start. They are brutally honest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0r...U1b19MUGM/view
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Zach Lowe led me to this. As complete a breakdown of the Raptors offseason as you'll find anywhere.

I had to scroll down, I thought the icon would work but it doesn't. Starts on Page 307; Page 312 is where the player assessments start. They are brutally honest.

thank you1

Comment

Zach Lowe led me to this. As complete a breakdown of the Raptors offseason as you'll find anywhere.

Mark Deeks is the operator of Shamsports, the original best source for NBA salary information. He's stepped away from the website running for a couple of years, and since then I've relied more on basketball-insiders, but Deeks definitely knows his stuff.

That presentation is an incredible undertaking. As he warns, there are errors throughout (sheer volume of analysis is bound to lead to some missed stuff), but it's very good nonetheless.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Raptors stuff is spot on. I was very impressed with the Jakob dunk mention.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Speculation that if Boston clears room for both PG and Hayward that they will release Kelly Olynyk. Bring him home?!
                      You know what, I think that wouldn't be a bad fit at all. He's a stretch 5 now that can shoot well from deep, really matured on this deep playoff run from Boston.

Lowry/DeRozan/Powell/Ibaka/Olynyk = Four real 3pt threats on the court at the same time, plus a top scorer in the league from mid-range.

Comment

Jesus...one guy did this?? All of this? For...no money? Again..jesus.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                          You know what, I think that wouldn't be a bad fit at all. He's a stretch 5 now that can shoot well from deep, really matured on this deep playoff run from Boston.

Lowry/DeRozan/Powell/Ibaka/Olynyk = Four real 3pt threats on the court at the same time, plus a top scorer in the league from mid-range.
                          How much can we pay him? We're capped out.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• So I heard Lowry is being recruited by Jimmy Butler, why not we jump in the Andrew Wiggins bandwagon before he becomes a FA.

resigned Lowry + Norman Powell + 2018 1st round pick to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins and Ricky Rubio

Comment

How much can we pay him? We're capped out.
                              Basically just the MLE (and the tax complicates that too).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                It may not happen over the span of one season, but why couldn't Masai move JV as Jacob becomes ready to step into his role, or Carroll, Cojo, maybe even Ibaka as OG, Wright etc. are ready for more p/t? Is it possible to trade one of our "big 3", each year for the next 3 years for a lottery pick (packaged with less established player or whatever it takes)? Then you can rebuild while staying competitive.
                                Yeah if you can get lotto picks while staying relevant that is totally the go to. Almost had that with the Poeltl pick, but that draft just wasn't as good as the 2015 or 2017 drafts. Not sure how valuable KL&SI are in a year or two, but that's a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X