This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post

Last thing, JV, KL and DD were kids when Colangelo got fired. He could've done as good a job as Masai but never got a chance. And i'm sure he would've found a way to complement those 3 with another star.
    BC was constantly adjusting his rosters. Consistency was never a thing with BC, who know if those guys would have been traded by the time they got to this point. BC didn't have a vision, it was just make as many moves as possible and see if it works.

Masai brought in stability and a plan, built a culture and a consistent vision on how the franchise should move forward. Has he made mistakes yes, but you see constant growth and patience.

Comment

• The 905, bio centre, and the player development is also directly linked to Masai.

BC couldn't find the Freddys and the Malcolm Millers etc. Thats Masai's vision. BC drafted in the top 20 and couldn't get hits like Masai does at the back of the draft.

Comment

• You can't give Colangelo credit for the team's wins the past 4 years TRex. Yes he brought in our key guys but he didn't really build anything sustainable around them and also brought in a guy who fit really poorly (Gay) on a really bad contract. He didn't know how to team build. BC did at times make some good individual moves. Getting Lowry for a pick was nice (even though in hindsight we could've had giannis if not for that), DeMar was a great pick at #9, JV was good at #5 (although Klay, Kawhi and even Jimmy Butler did go later in the same draft).

He never really put anything together though.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          The 905, bio centre, and the player development is also directly linked to Masai.

BC couldn't find the Freddys and the Malcolm Millers etc. Thats Masai's vision. BC drafted in the top 20 and couldn't get hits like Masai does at the back of the draft.
          This too. Masai isn't building a team.

He's building an organization that will build teams.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            The 905, bio centre, and the player development is also directly linked to Masai.

That's not true. Anthony Parker, Jose Calderon, Jorge Garbajosa?

These guys were all great for us and picked up from essentially nowhere.

BC's problem was he panicked, was too concerned about having an image of being a genius and way too trigger happy with bad contracts and bad deals. Although Masai has the same problem handing out bad deals to role players (Nene and McGee in Denver, Carroll here, Powell here and soon to be FVV here).

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

BC's problem was he panicked, was too concerned about having an image of being a genius and way too trigger happy with bad contracts and bad deals. Although Masai has the same problem handing out bad deals to role players (Nene and McGee in Denver, Carroll here, Powell here and soon to be FVV here).
              Giving Colangelo credit for Jose Calderon?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                Considering BC’s trade/free agent history, I highly doubt it.
                What history? Colangelo is a 2x Executive of the Year. He's no scrub, he's no Rob Babcock.

The 76ers would't be as successful last season if not for the signings that he made like Reddick, Ilyasova and Bellinelli.

If you want to go way back, then let's go way back. Bryan Colangelo brought Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Mike D'Antoni to Phoenix. That's pretty good don't you think.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I like how you're already assuming that FVV will be a bad contract next year, given that he was a top-50 in the league impact guy this year.

Comment

That's not true. Anthony Parker, Jose Calderon, Jorge Garbajosa?).
                    Those guys weren't developed by the Raptors, they were picked out of Europe on free agent deals. Not drafted. They were good pick ups none the less

My point is Masai's vision to develop young talent. And finding guys who didn't get drafted.

If BC wasn't drafting in the Top 10 the picks were traded. That's not team building.
                    Last edited by saints91; Sat Jun 23, 2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

What history? Colangelo is a 2x Executive of the Year. He's no scrub, he's no Rob Babcock.

The 76ers would't be as successful last season if not for the signings that he made like Reddick, Ilyasova and Bellinelli.

If you want to go way back, then let's go way back. Bryan Colangelo brought Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Mike D'Antoni to Phoenix. That's pretty good don't you think.
                      Oh, let's talk about some trades that Colangelo made with the Raptors!!

June 28, 2007: Traded a 2008 2nd round draft pick (Goran Dragic was later selected) to the San Antonio Spurs for Giorgos Printezis.

July 9, 2008: Traded Maceo Baston, T.J. Ford, Roy Hibbert and Rasho Nesterovic to the Indiana Pacers for Nathan Jawai and Jermaine O'Neal.

February 13, 2009: Traded Jamario Moon, Jermaine O'Neal, a 2010 2nd round draft pick (Da'Sean Butler was later selected) and a 2011 1st round draft pick (Jonas Valanciunas was later selected) to the Miami Heat for Marcus Banks, Shawn Marion and cash. Miami also received a trade exception from Toronto.

July 9, 2009: As part of a 4-team trade, the Toronto Raptors traded cash to the Orlando Magic; the Toronto Raptors traded a 2016 2nd round draft pick to the Memphis Grizzlies; the Toronto Raptors traded Kris Humphries, Nathan Jawai and Shawn Marion to the Dallas Mavericks; the Dallas Mavericks traded Jerry Stackhouse and cash to the Memphis Grizzlies; the Dallas Mavericks traded cash to the Orlando Magic; the Dallas Mavericks traded Devean George and Antoine Wright to the Toronto Raptors; the Memphis Grizzlies traded Greg Buckner to the Dallas Mavericks; and the Orlando Magic traded Hedo Turkoglu to the Toronto Raptors.

January 30, 2013: As part of a 3-team trade, the Toronto Raptors traded Jose Calderon, Ed Davis and a 2013 2nd round draft pick (Jamaal Franklin was later selected) to the Memphis Grizzlies; the Detroit Pistons traded Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince to the Memphis Grizzlies; the Memphis Grizzlies traded Jose Calderon to the Detroit Pistons; and the Memphis Grizzlies traded Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi to the Toronto Raptors.

Comment

• Bryan colangelo is a proven good GM with many faults including Twitter. Find a new slant.

Masai ujiri has proven a very solid gm with faults as well. I am very happy we have him as we found success the team never found in 18 years.

But this is the internet and as usual it seems "there can only be 1" and you have to trash one guy to prove a point, just like LeBron vs MJ debates that pop up and LeBron gets called a loser or MJ all of a sudden "can't shoot"
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Bryan colangelo is a proven good GM with many faults including Twitter. Find a new slant.

Masai ujiri has proven a very solid gm with faults as well. I am very happy we have him as we found success the team never found in 18 years.

But this is the internet and as usual it seems "there can only be 1" and you have to trash one guy to prove a point, just like LeBron vs MJ debates that pop up and LeBron gets called a loser or MJ all of a sudden "can't shoot"
                          Jordan > LeBron
                          Colangelo > Masai

#BringBackBC
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid to take risk. That's just my mentality. If i fail, i fail, at least i tried.

Some of you sounds like you're just happy to have a good team(and this is a good team) smh. Masai hasn't made many mistakes because he plays it safe ALL THE TIME. Hell, even the Nick Nurse hire was a safe move lol.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid to take risk. That's just my mentality. If i fail, i fail, at least i tried.

Some of you sounds like you're just happy to have a good team(and this is a good team) smh. Masai hasn't made many mistakes because he plays it safe ALL THE TIME. Hell, even the Nick Nurse hire was a safe move lol.
                              I'd rather have a GM who has a plan.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                I'd rather have a GM who has a plan.
                                What's the plan?
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X