#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    Are you suggesting that developmental curve is somehow relevant to the lack of passing/assists?
    Yes... But I'm also saying that I don't know what the plan is.

For example, Casey has held JV back - but assumedly (and perhaps with Masai and even JV's blessing) in the belief it was better to go slow with their young "big". But they've plainly been committed to JV, long term.

(The contrast between Popovich acceding to CoJo's request for more D-League time, versus Minny's refusal to allow Bennett the same opportunity, seems relevant to me, here). Similarly, DeMar has been given free rein to develop his iso/slashing/shooting game, while JV develops.

One hopes that we are closer to seeing Casey begin working on the (acknowledged) limitations of the offensive system. But the one thing I don't think it is safe (or fair) to assume is that either Masai or Casey are unaware of those limitations (or are indifferent to their own players' development).

Comment

• One other thing.

I think Casey may have been very wise not to "go to war" with his talented back-court players over the question of moving/sharing the ball.

At the end of last year, I got the distinct impression that Casey was intimating that his star players may have had to learn the limitations of that style of play "the hard way". Giving them that opportunity might have preserved Casey's job ... but might also have kept the whole program - in the long term - on track.

Comment

• Yeah Masai acknowledge that the team lacks ball movement and he wanted to correct the problem by bringing in Carroll and Joseph from teams who are famous for their ball movement. But as we can see Raptors rubbed off on Joseph and Carroll and not the other way around.
        Last edited by MixxAOR; Thu Dec 17, 2015, 06:49 PM.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
          One other thing.

I think Casey may have been very wise not to "go to war" with his talented back-court players over the question of moving/sharing the ball.

At the end of last year, I got the distinct impression that Casey was intimating that his star players may have had to learn the limitations of that style of play "the hard way". Giving them that opportunity might have preserved Casey's job ... but might also have kept the whole program - in the long term - on track.
          the straws have officially been grasped at.

Comment

• that's all we need to know about their fucking plan. I hope you guys know who Weltman is.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
              the straws have officially been grasped at.
              "Officially"?

And your theory would be that ...

Casey's still here because .... Masai is just cheap? Or not as bright/aware/informed as you are ... or simply an idiot?

Show me what you got, dude ...

Comment

Yes... But I'm also saying that I don't know what the plan is.

For example, Casey has held JV back - but assumedly (and perhaps with Masai and even JV's blessing) in the belief it was better to go slow with their young "big". But they've plainly been committed to JV, long term.

(The contrast between Popovich acceding to CoJo's request for more D-League time, versus Minny's refusal to allow Bennett the same opportunity, seems relevant to me, here). Similarly, DeMar has been given free rein to develop his iso/slashing/shooting game, while JV develops.

One hopes that we are closer to seeing Casey begin working on the (acknowledged) limitations of the offensive system. But the one thing I don't think it is safe (or fair) to assume is that either Masai or Casey are unaware of those limitations (or are indifferent to their own players' development).
                Holy sweet jebus. We are officially entering the twilight zone.

So your theory is that this is all part of Casey's master plan. That somehow his plan involves not passing the ball or running an offence these last two years and somehow linked to JV/DD's individual development.

So even though Casey has been the coach for 5 seasons, his master plan is to devolve from the structured horns offence to the guard freelance for multiple seasons before beginning to execute his real vision only once players have developed enough.

And Masai is supposed to be on board with this? This theory would make tenforthewin blush.

I think it's perfectly fair to assume that Casey is unaware of how limiting this offence is because he is the one in charge of the offence and has the power to change it if he wants.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think it's perfectly fair to assume that Casey is unaware of how limiting this offence is because he is the one in charge of the offence and has the power to change it if he wants.
                  Those two sentences next to each other are hilarious. The Casey Derangement Syndrome is strong.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    Those two sentences next to each other are hilarious. The Casey Derangement Syndrome is strong.
                    Do you disagree that Casey has the power to change the offense if he wanted to?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So the offense is out of his control? The HEAD COACH has no control over his offense? My goodness, the day someone comes up with a legitimate defense for the guy, I'll applaud them.

Comment

"Officially"?

And your theory would be that ...

Casey's still here because .... Masai is just cheap? Or not as bright/aware/informed as you are ... or simply an idiot?

Show me what you got, dude ...
                        I still believe that the answer is: playing the long game/self preservation.

As a GM, you get to hire a limited number of coaches before they start calling for YOUR head on a spike. Every coaching change brings you closer your own exit, and so you want to make them only when absolutely, absolutely necessary.

Which would be one of two scenarios:

1) A team completely, obviously quits on their coach.

2) You have a team with enough talent to contend for a title, and you have a coach in mind who you think could put them over the top.

This team hasn't quit, and NO coach in the world makes this team a contender, so really, what's the point of making a change? To satisfy a small chorus of the most hard core fans? Please. Just let them have their forums and their cute, foolish hashtags.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

So your theory is that this is all part of Casey's master plan. That somehow his plan involves not passing the ball or running an offence these last two years and somehow linked to JV/DD's individual development.

So even though Casey has been the coach for 5 seasons, his master plan is to devolve from the structured horns offence to the guard freelance for multiple seasons before beginning to execute his real vision only once players have developed enough.

And Masai is supposed to be on board with this? This theory would make tenforthewin blush.

Do you really think Casey's assistants (or friends in basketball) would be too freaking shy to mention something like:

"Hey, Dwane! - Did ya' ever think about, uh, you know - uh - trying an offence with more 'ball movement'?"

I think that's the more "Twilight Zone-y" notion: That Casey's completely unaware of his basic options ...

(and thanks again for another I'm "outlandish", "out of touch with reality" sort of comment, by the way).

But the way you've rephrased what I've said does make it sound foolish. So either it was foolish - or your "take" on it is "off". But you asked a question. You have your (good faith) answer.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree ... and see how it plays out ...

Comment

Do you really think Casey's assistants (or friends in basketball) would be too freaking shy to mention something like:

"Hey, Dwane! - Did ya' ever think about, uh, you know - uh - trying an offence with more 'ball movement'?"

I think that's the more "Twilight Zone-y" notion: That Casey's completely unaware of his basic options ...

(and thanks again for another I'm "outlandish", "out of touch with reality" sort of comment, by the way).

But the way you've rephrased what I've said does make it sound foolish. So either it was foolish - or your "take" on it is "off". But you asked a question. You have your (good faith) answer.

Well considering half the assistants were fired last summer, and the offence stayed the same, it's entirely possible that they won't say anything.

As his friends who coach other teams aren't likely to say anything.

And if they did, it would be Casey's unawareness of the limitation of his offence that would justify his decision to stick with it. So really all that does it further prove that point.

And yes. Outlandish, twilight zone. All much nicer than saying that it's the stupidest thing I've ever read on the Internet.

My rephrase seems pretty accurate. Feel free to clarify any points I mistook.

Comment

See how what plays out? The offense?? Where have you been for the last 2 seasons?

2 first round exits to a lower seed if you're new.

Comment

I agree. You've got a severe case.

Comment

Working...
                                X