Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    I've brought up his distance-covered numbers before, in defense of his off-ball game, but it's probably worth further discussion.
    One thing about the distance travelled number... it's a bit of a misnomer. It's simply 'distance travelled per game while your team has the ball and you're on the floor'. When you use the 'average speed on offense' stat, which accounts for minutes played, and limit to guys playing 25+ minutes per game, DeMar ranks 78th of 148 guys.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      Nice article. He really is doing so much better this year. I love that he's increased his drives by like 50%.
      His improved handle has helped a lot with that. Able to consistently getting by the primary defender.
      @Chr1st1anL

      Comment


      • Barolt wrote: View Post
        One thing about the distance travelled number... it's a bit of a misnomer. It's simply 'distance travelled per game while your team has the ball and you're on the floor'. When you use the 'average speed on offense' stat, which accounts for minutes played, and limit to guys playing 25+ minutes per game, DeMar ranks 78th of 148 guys.
        I don't see what you're getting at. He runs around a lot because he plays so much...and?

        He's not the quickest...wonderful. What's your point?
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

        Comment


        • Mess wrote: View Post
          I don't see what you're getting at. He runs around a lot because he plays so much...and?

          He's not the quickest...wonderful. What's your point?
          I was pointing out that it was a flawed stat. It's like the difference between per game and per/36 or per/100 possessions numbers. Playing more minutes makes flat stats look better, but if you really want to look at how good a player is you need a control.

          The premise of the article was that he covers more distance on offense than anyone else in the league, and on the face of it that looks to be true.

          However, when you account for minutes played, he's middle of the pack in terms of distance covered versus time on floor. I was pointing out a flawed statistic, that was the point.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

          Comment


          • Barolt wrote: View Post
            I was pointing out that it was a flawed stat. It's like the difference between per game and per/36 or per/100 possessions numbers. Playing more minutes makes flat stats look better, but if you really want to look at how good a player is you need a control.

            The premise of the article was that he covers more distance on offense than anyone else in the league, and on the face of it that looks to be true.

            However, when you account for minutes played, he's middle of the pack in terms of distance covered versus time on floor. I was pointing out a flawed statistic, that was the point.
            The stat was mentioned in a section called "Constant Motion" - I think it applies to the author's premise in those paragraphs very well.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

            Comment


            • Mess wrote: View Post
              The stat was mentioned in a section called "Constant Motion" - I think it applies to the author's premise in those paragraphs very well.
              Right, but if the premise - that DeMar moves more than most other guys on offense - is flawed, then the whole idea needs to be reworked. That entire portion of the article is based on the idea that he's in 'constant motion', but when you normalize it for minutes played you find that he really doesn't move that exceptionally much on offense. I'm not saying DeMar isn't good, just saying that that portion of the article was based on a flawed premise.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

              Comment


              • Barolt wrote: View Post
                Right, but if the premise - that DeMar moves more than most other guys on offense - is flawed, then the whole idea needs to be reworked. That entire portion of the article is based on the idea that he's in 'constant motion', but when you normalize it for minutes played you find that he really doesn't move that exceptionally much on offense. I'm not saying DeMar isn't good, just saying that that portion of the article was based on a flawed premise.
                Well, the very next section talks about DD's ability to post up - which means he's (relatively) stationary.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

                Comment


                • Mess wrote: View Post
                  Well, the very next section talks about DD's ability to post up - which means he's stationary.
                  Again, I wasn't taking issue with the rest of the article, I've posted myself on DeMar's ability to drive and his ability to post up, but the stat about him being in constant motion was based on a flawed premise.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                  Comment


                  • Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Again, I wasn't taking issue with the rest of the article, I've posted myself on DeMar's ability to drive and his ability to post up, but the stat about him being in constant motion was based on a flawed premise.
                    But it's not, he logs some of the most miles in the league. Off ball movement doesn't have to be about speed, especially when you're not trying to get off clean 3s. He runs a longer distance, he just doesn't run his miles as quickly as some.

                    Hence, Constant Motion, not Quickness of Motion.
                    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Jan 8, 2016, 06:24 PM.

                    Comment


                    • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      But it's not, he logs some of the most miles in the league. Off ball movement doesn't have to be about speed, especially when you're not trying to get off clean 3s. He runs a longer distance, he just doesn't run his miles as quickly as some.

                      Hence, Constant Motion, not Quickness of Motion.
                      If I drive at 100 miles per hour for 1 hour I'll go further than you will driving 120 miles per hour for 45 minutes.

                      Demar plays the 7th most minutes in the league, 36.5 min/game.

                      The stat is flawed. The article may not be, and in fact the inference of "constant motion" may not even be, but that stat is.

                      Comment


                      • KHD wrote: View Post
                        If I drive at 100 miles per hour for 1 hour I'll go further than you will driving 120 miles per hour for 45 minutes.

                        Demar plays the 7th most minutes in the league, 36.5 min/game.

                        The stat is flawed. The article may not be, and in fact the inference of "constant motion" may not even be, but that stat is.
                        Depends what we're calling flawed these days. It's still a valid stat in the same way that all per game stats are valid.

                        Comment


                        • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Depends what we're calling flawed these days. It's still a valid stat in the same way that all per game stats are valid.
                          It's generally accepted though that per game stats as a whole just aren't as useful as per/36 and per/100 possession stats because per game stats favor players who play more minutes.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                          Comment


                          • Barolt wrote: View Post
                            It's generally accepted though that per game stats as a whole just aren't as useful as per/36 and per/100 possession stats because per game stats favor players who play more minutes.
                            per 36 is also flawed because players may not play the same consistently for 36 mins.

                            Comment


                            • A.I wrote: View Post
                              per 36 is also flawed because players may not play the same consistently for 36 mins.
                              I don't understand what you mean. Per 36 is calculated as what stats the player puts up in the average 36 minutes that they are on the floor.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                              Comment


                              • A.I wrote: View Post
                                per 36 is also flawed because players may not play the same consistently for 36 mins.
                                A perfect example was Hansbro. He was very effective at times, but only when used for 10-12 minutes max.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X