Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's as simple as an either/or situation. We hired a cap wizard for a reason, and Masai has proven adept at maneuvering to get what he wants done. There's so much cap space next year that we can move almost any part of this roster into capspace to create more capspace for ourselves. Signing Jonas and letting TRoss dangle also removes our caphold uncertainty.

If it was a foregone conclusion that DeMar is gone next summer then I think it's MUCH more likely that Masai would have cashed him in for assets this past summer. It's not like he would have had trouble getting value on a $9.5mm contract given the types of deals thrown around.
    Masai didn't trade Amir or Lou and both left.. Amir and Lou were important members of the team last year.. One won the 6th man of the year.. the other was the defensive pillar. Amir could have been traded last summer as well if the writing was on the wall for him.. with his contract and abilities I'm sure Masai could have gotten something valuable for him. Lou I'm sure would have been a nice get for a playoff team that could use additional scoring off the bench.

Can't always turn a player into assets. Plus it might look better for a GM when a player leaves on his own than if he trades him.. especially a fan favorite.

Comment

I don't think it's as simple as an either/or situation. We hired a cap wizard for a reason, and Masai has proven adept at maneuvering to get what he wants done. There's so much cap space next year that we can move almost any part of this roster into capspace to create more capspace for ourselves. Signing Jonas and letting TRoss dangle also removes our caphold uncertainty.

If it was a foregone conclusion that DeMar is gone next summer then I think it's MUCH more likely that Masai would have cashed him in for assets this past summer. It's not like he would have had trouble getting value on a $9.5mm contract given the types of deals thrown around.
      So you think the plan is to attempt to trade other pieces, to keep Demar and have max cap space? Cause that means bye bye to Carroll & JV or Carroll and Lowry or Lowry and JV. Don't see as good of a lineup with any of those options than simply letting DD walk.

And we don't have so much cap space. We have enough for the max IF we renounce Ross, DD, and trade away bit players (like Biyombo if he picks up his option). We still need to maneuver to get max space, so it's not like some places where they have space for 2 max offers; that's the trade off for having better players already.

So yes, either/or very much in play and DD's love for Toronto will be put to the test if he sees KD getting toured around and clamoured for while waiting to see if we even offer him anything.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        An article highlighting one of the main criticisms I've had of DD for years..... he isn't an elite athlete (by NBA standards).
        Oh man I remember all the flak I've gotten for saying that Gordon Hayword is a better athlete than DD. DD is a slow footed guard.

Also I should re-iterate this:

DD is a worse shooter from the floor than Rajon Rondo and Dion Waiters (among other notables). He was third last in the league for guards from the floor, ahead only of MCW and Lance Stephenson.

I don't care how much he loves TO, it is time to move on.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          So you think the plan is to attempt to trade other pieces, to keep Demar and have max cap space? Cause that means bye bye to Carroll & JV or Carroll and Lowry or Lowry and JV. Don't see as good of a lineup with any of those options than simply letting DD walk.

And we don't have so much cap space. We have enough for the max IF we renounce Ross, DD, and trade away bit players (like Biyombo if he picks up his option). We still need to maneuver to get max space, so it's not like some places where they have space for 2 max offers; that's the trade off for having better players already.

So yes, either/or very much in play and DD's love for Toronto will be put to the test if he sees KD getting toured around and clamoured for while waiting to see if we even offer him anything.

Again, I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that a contract can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, which is what Denver did to retain Chandler and Gallinari.

If Masai tells DD he'll renegotiate the final year of his contract for as much as capspace allows after signing a max deal, DD would hit the market in 2017 when the cap is even higher.

Keeping the following core:
          Kyle
          DD
          DeMarre
          JV

CoJo
          Bruno
          Powell

would mean $59.7mm in committed salary. It means moving Patman, Bebe, Delon, and Roberts into space, all of whom will be one year deals.

The cap is at $89mm. So that means $29mm-ish available. Durant gets thrown $25mm and DeMar gets a one-year bump of $4mm. If we don't land Durant, DeMar gets more $ and can be simultaneously extended. If we do land Durant we re-up DeMar the year after on his Bird rights.

It would take a leap of faith on DeMar's part, but he might be like Rudy, who agreed to take less money for a situation he liked and because he could see the writing on the wall due to his inefficiency.

The future is so far off and unknowable that I just don't see how everyone is claiming with such certainty that DeMar is out the door. It seems like wishful thinking because he's had a crappy preseason.

Plus this board treated Casey being shown the door with near-absolute-certainty too. Yet here we are.

Comment

Again, I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that a contract can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, which is what Denver did to retain Chandler and Gallinari.

If Masai tells DD he'll renegotiate the final year of his contract for as much as capspace allows after signing a max deal, DD would hit the market in 2017 when the cap is even higher.

Keeping the following core:
            Kyle
            DD
            DeMarre
            JV

CoJo
            Bruno
            Powell

would mean $59.7mm in committed salary. It means moving Patman, Bebe, Delon, and Roberts into space, all of whom will be one year deals.

The cap is at $89mm. So that means $29mm-ish available. Durant gets thrown $25mm and DeMar gets a one-year bump of $4mm. If we don't land Durant, DeMar gets more $ and can be simultaneously extended. If we do land Durant we re-up DeMar the year after on his Bird rights.

It would take a leap of faith on DeMar's part, but he might be like Rudy, who agreed to take less money for a situation he liked and because he could see the writing on the wall due to his inefficiency.

The future is so far off and unknowable that I just don't see how everyone is claiming with such certainty that DeMar is out the door. It seems like wishful thinking because he's had a crappy preseason.

Plus this board treated Casey being shown the door with near-absolute-certainty too. Yet here we are.
            That's not possible.

If DD picks up his player option, we don't have the cap space to land a max free agent.

You're numbers simply don't work. You have to choose between DD or the chance of KD (or gut the team to make space which would make our pitch to KD worse).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'm guessing that DD and Klow will be apart of the pitch. Their probably be apart of the recruitment. Just like this past summer with Carroll.
              Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Thu Oct 22, 2015, 08:36 AM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Horford is also one of the best passing big men in the NBA. He has a higher AST% than Derozan (his AST% is almost on par with CoJo). He'd make life easier for everyone because you could run the offense through him in the post, and count on him to make the right pass or take the shot. He's also really efficient and an above average defender. I could keep going. Horford is really fucking good.
                Not to mention the benefit of having 2 guys in the starting lineup who are disciples of Budenholzer's system.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  An article highlighting one of the main criticisms I've had of DD for years..... he isn't an elite athlete (by NBA standards).
                  I've been in this camp for a while too. DeRozan's a great leaper (i.e. off 1 leg with a running start), but that's about it. Very little side-to-side agility, and mediocre sprint speed.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    I kinda like all the bad press. Hope it helps change his mindset a bit, and increases the mass of the chip on his shoulder. No time to #ProveEm like the present.
                    In the past, the bad press has meant "we'll just keep doing what we're doing to prove everyone wrong".

I don't have my hopes up for DeRozan learning the difference between a good shot and a bad one.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I'm guessing that DD and Klow will be apart of the pitch. Their probably be apart of the recruitment. Just this past summer with Carroll.
                      It's like you willfully ignore the CBA.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...future)/page21

DD will be a free agent at that juncture, can't recruit anyone except for the Drew League.

Comment

I'm guessing that DD and Klow will be apart of the pitch. Their probably be apart of the recruitment. Just like this past summer with Carroll.
                        Untrue.

No evidence outside of a tweet pointing to a news article that no longer exists or says anything about that.

Carroll has not been quoted saying it.

So false

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• I think DD will sign early in free agency. To a fair deal 18-20 mil. Than if KD is actually interested in TO. You got a lot of pieces to move to make room for KD. I'm guessing KD would probably do a sign and trade to get the most money he can.

DD is one of best recruiting tools for KD. Seeing that they are friends and have mutual respect for each other. If KD comes here its to play with one of the top backcourt in the league.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think DD will sign early in free agency. To a fair deal 18-20 mil. Than if KD is actually interested in TO. You got a lot of pieces to move to make room for KD. I'm guessing KD would probably do a sign and trade to get the most money he can.

DD is one of best recruiting tools for KD. Seeing that they are friends and have mutual respect for each other. If KD comes here its to play with one of the top backcourt in the league.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Every scenario that has KD coming here over staying at OKC or going home WIZ is a dream.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think DD will sign early in free agency. To a fair deal 18-20 mil. Than if KD is actually interested in TO. You got a lot of pieces to move to make room for KD. I'm guessing KD would probably do a sign and trade to get the most money he can.

so much crazy in that post.

1)Who says KD and Demar are firends, with exception of that 1 picture of them together at a Jays game.

2) How on earth do you possibly figure that DD is one of the best recruiting tools. If that held any truth then the team should pack it all in and fold.

3) If KD does a sign and trade, then Demar would be going out, because as it has been pointed out a million times, Demar and KD do not work together as well as Durant and Demarre. period. end of story.

Comment

Working...
                                X