Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    The only C in the league it makes indisputable sense to trade JV for is KAT. That kid could easily become the best player of his generation.

Anything else is not even close to a black and white choice. DMC is a problem child. Definitely not worth shedding assets for IMO. Every time i see him play i want him less, regardless of what the trade would look like (ie even if it didn't involve JV).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    You would turn down a deal for Cousins if it was just JV straight up? That's bananas. If you put him in a winning situation here, there's no reason to say he doesn't change his act. I don't see how his fit would be a problem either since he can pretty much score from anywhere. That kind of talent doesn't come around often.

However, to give up significant assets.. I agree would be a mistake or at least incredibly risky.

Comment

• What really pisses me off with JV is that I think he actually could've been the type of center we need on the defensive end also. Problem was as soon as he came over our staff had him bulk up. They didn't realize where the league was heading and wanted a big, lumbering presence inside. Now he doesn't have nearly the mobility, speed or lateral quickness that he did coming into the league, where people actually thought he might be able to play some power forward not just center.

Really does suck. If I remember right I think Casey himself actually compared him to Chandler when he was drafted (although that might've just been to sell fans on the pick after the Mavs won the title and BC got a lot of flack for taking another European player).

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
        You would turn down a deal for Cousins if it was just JV straight up? That's bananas. If you put him in a winning situation here, there's no reason to say he doesn't change his act. I don't see how his fit would be a problem either since he can pretty much score from anywhere. That kind of talent doesn't come around often.

However, to give up significant assets.. I agree would be a mistake or at least incredibly risky.
        Yeah, 100% you take DMC if the deal is right. A trade is always a risk, but I'd roll the dice that DMC with Casey, Ujiri, Lowry and Demar could make it work. He's immature, but he apparently wants to win more than anything else, and I have to think the sh*tshow that is SAC's front office has something to do with his attitude.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Cousins isn't a great defender, so he won't help there much.. not sure if he'd like to set screens for DD/KL and not get the ball. Could turn into the Gay situation all over again. My eyes have still not totally recovered from that debacle.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Cousins isn't a great defender, so he won't help there much.. not sure if he'd like to set screens for DD/KL and not get the ball. Could turn into the Gay situation all over again. My eyes have still not totally recovered from that debacle.
            Not to mention Demar has never shown signs of functioning well as a secondary guy playing with less volume, which is exactly the kind of shitshow we saw with Gay here.

Comment

I think I'd turn down a deal of a bag of basketballs for DMC. I have seen nothing from him to ever think he could thrive in a better situation. He can score from everywhere but is not really efficient and turns the ball over like crazy. He also has arguably worse fit issues than JV defensively. Seems like the classic "he's talented but just doesn't get it" kind of player and it's usually best to avoid those.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                It was just a Swap for the two. Don't know if the money works though. The arguement was that JV was so young. My counter to that is that JV will never be as good as Marc is now.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                JV is the age Gasol was when he first joined the NBA.

Marc was never going to be as good as he is now according to many back then.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  It was just a Swap for the two. Don't know if the money works though. The arguement was that JV was so young. My counter to that is that JV will never be as good as Marc is now.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                  Yeah, not sure exactly but I know Marc is 20 or 22m. You'd need a little more I think.
                  The deal is ok but jv for Kat is a clear no. I think Kat put up 47 or 48 last week?
                  It's not popular here but atm jvs value to me is Reggie jackson. If he plays like the pacers series then it's higher but the market is not good atm.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    JV is the age Gasol was when he first joined the NBA.

Marc was never going to be as good as he is now according to many back then.
                    He has the shooting stroke to extend his range, MAYBE he gets there defensively but the court vision and passing I'm skeptical on.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Would you want to roll with Delon Wright as the backup PG in the playoffs? If CoJo's gone, there's always a retread guy like Mario Chalmers sitting out there, who does have a ton of playoff experience and 2 rings.
                      I would, but that being said I wouldn't trade cojo for Noel. In any event, Wright needs minutes to get up to speed and learn the game a little more, and that's not gonna happen with Cory ahead of him on the depth chart. And I really like how cojo is shooting lately. I've said before he needed a reliable jumpshot to really be effective. If he is consistent with that, I'd love to keep him. So, not really interested in trading him at this point unless it's for a package that brings back that elusive star, and if that were to happen I'd be comfortable with playing Wright 16-18 minutes a night. Winning or losing a 1st or 2nd round series shouldn't depend on Wright's abilities either way.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Cousins isn't a great defender, so he won't help there much.. not sure if he'd like to set screens for DD/KL and not get the ball. Could turn into the Gay situation all over again. My eyes have still not totally recovered from that debacle.
                        Cousins is a better defender than JV. I mean there was all this talk of DeMar and Lowry needing to lower their usage to conserve energy on defense.. Why doesn't that apply to Cousins?

And it would be a whole lot different than the Gay scenario. Over the two "seasons" that Gay was in the starting lineup, they were a positive together. The main problem was the non-existent bench.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        I think I'd turn down a deal of a bag of basketballs for DMC. I have seen nothing from him to ever think he could thrive in a better situation. He can score from everywhere but is not really efficient and turns the ball over like crazy. He also has arguably worse fit issues than JV defensively. Seems like the classic "he's talented but just doesn't get it" kind of player and it's usually best to avoid those.

Lol holy shit. Of course he turns over the ball a lot. He and 30 year old Rudy f'ing Gay are the only ones who can create a shot for themselves. Lamarcus Aldridge got more efficient from his Portland days to San Antonio because he had more help on offense.

Rasheed Wallace was supposed to be one of those "talented but doesn't get it" players but ended up in the Conference Finals 8 different times and in the Finals 3 times when supported with talent around him.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                          He has the shooting stroke to extend his range, MAYBE he gets there defensively but the court vision and passing I'm skeptical on.
                          I'd agree with the court vision part.

But he's also a much better rebounder than Gasol and more physical player probably on both ends. Gasol is actually fairly soft given his size, and can't struggle to bully smaller players.

I like what I've seen from JV passing to cutters. He's actually shown solid promise there. Kicking it out has been more shaky though.

D is hard to judge, because JV might look like a DPOY candidate if he never had to go out that far and had Conley and Allen guarding the other team's ballhandlers.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, 100% you take DMC if the deal is right. A trade is always a risk, but I'd roll the dice that DMC with Casey, Ujiri, Lowry and Demar could make it work. He's immature, but he apparently wants to win more than anything else, and I have to think the sh*tshow that is SAC's front office has something to do with his attitude.
                            Yep. I'd hate to lose norm but I think the Brooklyn picks is the first call anyway. Danny is next to the phone right now.

Comment

Cousins is a better defender than JV. I mean there was all this talk of DeMar and Lowry needing to lower their usage to conserve energy on defense.. Why doesn't that apply to Cousins?

And it would be a whole lot different than the Gay scenario. Over the two "seasons" that Gay was in the starting lineup, they were a positive together. The main problem was the non-existent bench.

Lol holy shit. Of course he turns over the ball a lot. He and 30 year old Rudy f'ing Gay are the only ones who can create a shot for themselves. Lamarcus Aldridge got more efficient from his Portland days to San Antonio because he had more help on offense.

Rasheed Wallace was supposed to be one of those "talented but doesn't get it" players but ended up in the Conference Finals 8 different times and in the Finals 3 times when supported with talent around him.
                              Love 'sheed! Get him as a player coach on 905 with stack. I'm buying season tickets right now!

Comment

I dont agree on the Aldridge comparison. He took time to adjust his game last year and became more efficient by being willing to sacrifice. He also never lashed out in ways Cousins does. Cousins body language is almost always bad on the court, sometimes even when they're winning.

I also disagree on Wallace. There was never a question as to his on court abilities and contributions to winning. He was also never considered a franchise talent. People confuse personality as a person with mentality as an athlete. Sheed was a great teammate and win-first player. He was just a bit crazy. He consistently made smart bball plays on both ends, was always willing to sacrifice to win and was never about his own ego. He'd get techs and have a blow up every now and then. You can be a volatile personality and still "get it".

Cousins is all about ego. He was complaining earlier this season about how unfair it was that he wasn't 1st team all nba because of "politics". Dude is all about himself and that's always a problem from a "core" piece.

Comment

Working...
                                X