X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

What the fuck is wrong with Springer? Guy has missed 50 games with a bum quad? That doesn’t sound right or good.

Manoah looked terrific. Next team will be prepared, so we will see how he adjusts once they figure out his stuff.
    Manoah can pitch as opposed to just coming back time after time with that giddyup fastball.
    What I mean by that even Randy Johnson got measured up by major league hitters. Manoah has good control for a 21 year old of his three or four pitches.
    If he and whoever catches him can keep hitters off balance with a mix of serious gas (96 and 97) and then be able to pull the string with a change or a curve and the odd slider for strikes he will be around as long as his arm holds up.
    Next outing I am watching to see if his control holds up. I think it does.

Springer has never played a full season. One of those guys. Its always a mystery that your big FA signing always seems to get a hammy or a quad or an oblique in their first season... Just need him back permantly by the end of June...

Jays know what they have now... and what they need.
    An everyday 3rd baseman at the deadline.
    Pearson and Manoah to have enough tmoxie and control to start at the major league level as the 4th and 5th rotation guys.
    Some BP guys to come back off IR. (Merryweather, Boruki The Lefty)
    And
    A bench coach for Charlie

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Lol...good medium smack there.
    To me Charlie isn’t the guy...

But wow..Manoah brings gas...and he can pull the string with offspeed stuff the gets over for strikes.
    If Pearson gets his game back in order and throws strikes ...then we have a good 1 through 5 SP rotation.
    Springer should be back before bass season opens.
    What the fuck is wrong with Springer? Guy has missed 50 games with a bum quad? That doesn’t sound right or good.

Manoah looked terrific. Next team will be prepared, so we will see how he adjusts once they figure out his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Montoya is a genius again. He told Matz to go out there and strike out 10 guys and only give up 1 run, then, he told Manoah to throw 6 almost flawless innings in his MLB debut. Result: 2 straight wins.

Guy really knows how to push the right buttons and all that stuff about managers, etc....

Hopefully, he can get Ray to throw 6 great innings tonight. I think he should really lean into the 'just go out there and pitch with confidence' pep talk. That should work.
    Lol...good medium smack there.
    To me Charlie isn’t the guy...

But wow..Manoah brings gas...and he can pull the string with offspeed stuff the gets over for strikes.
    If Pearson gets his game back in order and throws strikes ...then we have a good 1 through 5 SP rotation.
    Springer should be back before bass season opens.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Montoya is a genius again. He told Matz to go out there and strike out 10 guys and only give up 1 run, then, he told Manoah to throw 6 almost flawless innings in his MLB debut. Result: 2 straight wins.

Guy really knows how to push the right buttons and all that stuff about managers, etc....

Hopefully, he can get Ray to throw 6 great innings tonight. I think he should really lean into the 'just go out there and pitch with confidence' pep talk. That should work.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Manoah rolled a day due to rain in the Bronx.
    This kid has a solid mental makeup... Does he leapfrog Pearson and stick in the rotation before Nate ?
    Assuming Charlie won't designate him and use him out of the Bullpen after this start

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

2/5 of the rotation is TBD and We'll See. Their 4 best relievers are hurt. Romano's arm is falling off. Not sure what he is supposed to do.....Bullpen is regressing to the mean after a hot start and the starters can't be trusted to give them any innings. Bad combination. And, do you really think he's making these decisions? All these teams are run by the front office. Montoya is told who is available and who isn't - it's not his call.

Good news is that they are 500 with one of the toughest (toughest?) schedules and Springer hasn't played yet, plus, some of those bullpen arms should be coming back soonish. Then you've got 19 against Baltimore and a pile against Detroit. Gonna have to use those to make hay.
    All true...
    Just not sold on Charlie...
    Manoah comes up on Wedensday... Pearsons clone...He can bring the gas.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

Charlie is in over his head.
    Nice guy... but in over his head.

Injuries have hurt the bullpen and some SP..
    I can live with that...

I can't live with losing games when you don't take your best shot with your best guys...
    Shades of the self procalaimed smartest man in baseball .. Buck Showalter ... keeping his best reliever on the bench or pulling your best guy out of the game when he hadn't lost it..
    2/5 of the rotation is TBD and We'll See. Their 4 best relievers are hurt. Romano's arm is falling off. Not sure what he is supposed to do.....Bullpen is regressing to the mean after a hot start and the starters can't be trusted to give them any innings. Bad combination. And, do you really think he's making these decisions? All these teams are run by the front office. Montoya is told who is available and who isn't - it's not his call.

Good news is that they are 500 with one of the toughest (toughest?) schedules and Springer hasn't played yet, plus, some of those bullpen arms should be coming back soonish. Then you've got 19 against Baltimore and a pile against Detroit. Gonna have to use those to make hay.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

Montoya? Dude, it's the starting pitching. Blame Atkins and Shapiro.

When every other day is TBD or Pray for Rain, you aren't winning anything. The bullpen is already at the breaking point and they've played 45 games. They needed another quality starter in the offseason and didn't get one. So, now, you've got Ryu and then you're throwing 4 below average pitchers out there hoping they don't lose you the game in the first 4 innings. Like, most of these guys can't even get through 5 innings and it's the manager's fault that his bullpen is collapsing? Nah.
    Charlie is in over his head.
    Nice guy... but in over his head.

Injuries have hurt the bullpen and some SP..
    I can live with that...

I can't live with losing games when you don't take your best shot with your best guys...
    Shades of the self procalaimed smartest man in baseball .. Buck Showalter ... keeping his best reliever on the bench or pulling your best guy out of the game when he hadn't lost it..

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Jays have the makings of a good year....
    Charlie Montoya is however , in way over his head.
    He could manage himself out of a job this year.
    Montoya? Dude, it's the starting pitching. Blame Atkins and Shapiro.

When every other day is TBD or Pray for Rain, you aren't winning anything. The bullpen is already at the breaking point and they've played 45 games. They needed another quality starter in the offseason and didn't get one. So, now, you've got Ryu and then you're throwing 4 below average pitchers out there hoping they don't lose you the game in the first 4 innings. Like, most of these guys can't even get through 5 innings and it's the manager's fault that his bullpen is collapsing? Nah.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Jays have the makings of a good year....
    Charlie Montoya is however , in way over his head.
    He could manage himself out of a job this year.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    40 pounds lighter....
    Vladdy....
    Yeah baby.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    George Springer is in camp.

Alex Manoah the second of the two pitching phenoms is there.
    Wonder who comes out of nowhere to snag a pitching spot ?

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Pitchers and Catchers report today !!
    Seems ironic as the country sits in the deep freeze but it is a cause for hope that a return to the non covid obsession is in sight. .

This sunshine ray of seasonality is great as for me as it mutes the doomsayers.

Play Ball.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Feb 19, 2021, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Matz from the Mets ... thats fun to say. He had a pretty shit year last year, but he's got decent stuff and I think he got hurt. Pete Walker has a great track record of turning guys like Matz into studs, so I'm optimistic. But still say another rocket out there is needed.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Steven Matz.... No idea. You need starter depth so maybe thats what he has been acquired for.
    Reid-Foly is likely our Matz going back the other way.. promise but no success so far.

About a month till pitchers and catchers report.... They might be done till camp opens. You can wait in baseball.
    Offseason you add guys you have a plan to get... .. Next two months you see what you have in camp and for real for 30-50 games...Then you make any upgrades you think will make you better before the trade deadline if you think you have a chance. Then you play baseball. Hopefully to October.

I like this team. They can swing the bats and they got speed and swagger..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X