Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden wrote: View Post
    Awesome. Just make Roy Rana the full time coach already. The guy is a flat out winner.

    These are the type of games that Jay Triano would lose and then make up some type of excuse about how much more experienced the international squads were.
    Wow I so agree ... Jay's calling at best is an assistant coach .. Give Roy the job and give Jay a token job like Senior Advisor .

    Comment


    • Coach Rana is one of my best friends since HS. He used to run the night gym basketball games when we were 15. Everyone was mostly in their 20s and games got real rough but it was never a problem the older guys respected him. After uni he went on to coach cw jeffries hs to success then eastern commerce. Then took ryerson right up to elite overnight. Hes had great success coaching the world team vs the us at the nike hoops summit for several years and won the first ever gold medal in canadas history of international ball. And hes a great guy!

      Comment


      • Comment


        • I think there's a huge difference between coaching a pro team where it's about incremental, long-term improvement and consistency; vs. these intense international tournaments where you've got to come together really quickly, come up with a gameplan against teams you've rarely played against with players who have rarely played together, while every game has near must-win stakes. Rana's success with the junior men's teams in this type of tournament (often with players who are on the senior men's team now) makes him the best choice for leading the senior team at the worlds.

          Comment


          • octothorp wrote: View Post
            I think there's a huge difference between coaching a pro team where it's about incremental, long-term improvement and consistency; vs. these intense international tournaments where you've got to come together really quickly, come up with a gameplan against teams you've rarely played against with players who have rarely played together, while every game has near must-win stakes. Rana's success with the junior men's teams in this type of tournament (often with players who are on the senior men's team now) makes him the best choice for leading the senior team at the worlds.
            The thing is with coaching the Canadian team is that you need to have at least 30+ players be willing participants & on call because you will never have the luxury of the best 12-16 Canadians suiting up, especially in tournaments during the season where NBA players and Euroleague players will not participate. Therefore you need to give the bottom 30 players incentives to show up and give them minutes and accolades even when you have better players ready to show up.

            This is something which new president Glen Grunwald will have to manage and promise players who always showed up, a place on the roster in world cup & olympics over star players who don't bother to show up until a major tournament is announced.

            Comment


            • Yeah, I'm strongly in favour of Ejim and maybe Heslip making the WC team because they're both really solid international players and have been there for Canada on every step of this.

              Comment


              • octothorp wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I'm strongly in favour of Ejim and maybe Heslip making the WC team because they're both really solid international players and have been there for Canada on every step of this.
                There is no question they will. Even Best might be deserving to be there especially if coach Rana is there. Anthony Bennet also up until the last few games was very active with team Canada since begining.

                Comment


                • Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  The thing is with coaching the Canadian team is that you need to have at least 30+ players be willing participants & on call because you will never have the luxury of the best 12-16 Canadians suiting up, especially in tournaments during the season where NBA players and Euroleague players will not participate. Therefore you need to give the bottom 30 players incentives to show up and give them minutes and accolades even when you have better players ready to show up.

                  This is something which new president Glen Grunwald will have to manage and promise players who always showed up, a place on the roster in world cup & olympics over star players who don't bother to show up until a major tournament is announced.
                  I hear Colengelo is also trying to get a gig with Canada Basketball ..

                  Comment


                  • octothorp wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, I'm strongly in favour of Ejim and maybe Heslip making the WC team because they're both really solid international players and have been there for Canada on every step of this.
                    I do think if we do qualify and do well in the Worlds ... It would be nice if Canada Basketball made these guys feel like the part of the team during the tournament . Heck I know only a limited team spots but inviting the guys to feel part of it would be nice .

                    Comment


                    • that 2015 Fiba America's team only had CoJo, Wiggins, Stauskas, Olynyk, and Powell as NBA players (+plus Bennett, Sacre and Nicholson) and that team steamrolled the competition during group games (+135 over 7 games), and should've qualified had it not been that stupid Venezuela game. You don't need a full team of NBA players to be competitive.

                      Comment


                      • jerome wrote: View Post
                        that 2015 Fiba America's team only had CoJo, Wiggins, Stauskas, Olynyk, and Powell as NBA players (+plus Bennett, Sacre and Nicholson) and that team steamrolled the competition during group games (+135 over 7 games), and should've qualified had it not been that stupid Venezuela game. You don't need a full team of NBA players to be competitive.
                        No you certainly don't. However if you want to get to a top 3 at the worlds competition, You've got to have high calibre starters from the NBA cause any of the top European teams have got some NBA talent of their own and a strong system in place that been cultivated for years. Guys like Murray, Wiggins and Barrett are the cream of the crop for team Canada so it would be nice if 2 of them can suit up.

                        The team that lost to Venezuela however were very young & inexperienced bunch and faced strong physical pressure that eventually wore them down. Young inexperience guys tend not to do well in playoffs like atmosphere until they experience it for a couple of years and mature. You take the same group of guys today and they would win.

                        Comment


                        • Comment


                          • jerome wrote: View Post
                            that 2015 Fiba America's team only had CoJo, Wiggins, Stauskas, Olynyk, and Powell as NBA players (+plus Bennett, Sacre and Nicholson) and that team steamrolled the competition during group games (+135 over 7 games), and should've qualified had it not been that stupid Venezuela game. You don't need a full team of NBA players to be competitive.
                            I think you need great guards and Cojo and Murray can provide that ... You need shooters and most of all you need a unit that
                            can play shut down defense when needed .

                            If Wiggins thinks we just need him cause of his name just stay home . If you come you have to commit to team ball and team defense .

                            Olynyk , Tristian Thompson Powell Cojo and Murray ... Will give you muscle and the defense required ... I do think we missed Thomspon's muscle against Venezuela ... Heslip for his commitment to the programs has an automatic spot I think ..

                            Comment


                            • So is Nash still affiliated with the national team anymore?

                              Comment


                              • jerome wrote: View Post
                                So is Nash still affiliated with the national team anymore?
                                Oh yes ... He is still the GM but Barrett does most of the work ... Grunwald will be responsible for the business side of Canada Basketball ..

                                Steve Nash if needed should suit up in a must win game senerio ... He is still Canada best PG and he is retired ..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X