Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden wrote: View Post
    Imagine if we get Skinny Lowry along with Skinny Gasol? Damn, the NBA is going to have to work harder at fixing games to prevent the Raps from messing things up again. Lol.
    I think we're going to.. here is what Lowry's looking like:

    Comment


    • Hotshot wrote: View Post

      Serge will want a much deserved pay raise, probably around 4 years for $100 million or just under. Let's not forget FVV who will want a long term secured contract and that will be in the ball park as well.

      Since the Raps do want to take a run for a top free agent in the summer of 2021, I can't see them commit to both.
      Remember it's possible that the salary cap drops about 30-35% due to Covid. So most guys that are free agents would be better off just coming back and using their bird right's then to find a deal somewhere.. as all teams will be pinched by the new cap.

      It's a really bad year to be a free agent.

      I could see the Raptors bringing back Fred, Marc and Serge at good values. For 1+1 deals.. making them all free agents again in 2021. At that point they'll look at he landscape again and decide what they want to do.

      Comment


      • planetmars wrote: View Post

        I think we're going to.. here is what Lowry's looking like:

        A few shots of Joel Embiid playing soccer pre Orlando to keep in shape...

        Comment


        • planetmars wrote: View Post

          Remember it's possible that the salary cap drops about 30-35% due to Covid. So most guys that are free agents would be better off just coming back and using their bird right's then to find a deal somewhere.. as all teams will be pinched by the new cap.

          It's a really bad year to be a free agent.

          I could see the Raptors bringing back Fred, Marc and Serge at good values. For 1+1 deals.. making them all free agents again in 2021. At that point they'll look at he landscape again and decide what they want to do.
          Yup. Going to be really interesting to see the cap dynamics. Would not surprise me they drop the cap and keep original luxury tax threshold as is which makes bird rights and retaining your own free agents on 1 year deals more likely than in typical years. Can’t see many teams having cap space to sign other teams free agents.

          Comment


          • Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

            Yup. Going to be really interesting to see the cap dynamics. Would not surprise me they drop the cap and keep original luxury tax threshold as is which makes bird rights and retaining your own free agents on 1 year deals more likely than in typical years. Can’t see many teams having cap space to sign other teams free agents.
            Could be good for us as we have several of the top FA this year and Freddy is likely due for a big raise. Personally, I doubt there's a lot for multi year options for Marc and I can be convinced either way with Serge.

            Every year we seem to be talking about how we can bring the same FA back (not a bad option this year) and never about how we can sign improvements. When do some other top teams start to lose significant FA to US?

            Comment


            • G__Deane wrote: View Post

              Could be good for us as we have several of the top FA this year and Freddy is likely due for a big raise. Personally, I doubt there's a lot for multi year options for Marc and I can be convinced either way with Serge.

              Every year we seem to be talking about how we can bring the same FA back (not a bad option this year) and never about how we can sign improvements. When do some other top teams start to lose significant FA to US?
              Serge will have a lot of value to contenders. He's almost a perfect fit for the Rockets' system as a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. Doesn't hurt that he re-unites with Westbrook & Harden. Or the Nets, who need a center with playoff experience... and Serge has that in spades.

              Comment


              • golden wrote: View Post

                Serge will have a lot of value to contenders. He's almost a perfect fit for the Rockets' system as a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. Doesn't hurt that he re-unites with Westbrook & Harden. Or the Nets, who need a center with playoff experience... and Serge has that in spades.
                I wouldnt be too surprised if there was an issue where Ibaka and Gasol both want to be starters unless its clearly a contending team. Both will still be commodities - especially in a thin free agent year - but I think all the Raptors established free agents will have a short list of teams theyd go to and they probably wont have the cap space. Itll really depend on how these playoffs go but I expect everyone back - better in the short term and i doubt it hurts long term prospects.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post

                  Serge will have a lot of value to contenders. He's almost a perfect fit for the Rockets' system as a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. Doesn't hurt that he re-unites with Westbrook & Harden. Or the Nets, who need a center with playoff experience... and Serge has that in spades.
                  100%.
                  I have to think a lot of value.

                  This guy is about 30 years old. He already has had two championship runs with the Raps and with OKC. He is about to embark on a third run with the home town heroes AND he has won one.

                  On the floor Serge is a proven commodity and likely has some gas left in the tank. His numbers on the floor are solid. He can start for you or come off the bench where in either role he can eat up 28 to 33 mins a game.

                  On the social side he is good for a dressing room. He has shown the notoriously shy OG the ropes on being a pro athelete in the media. He is also not a guy you have to worry about taking a late night phone call from the local police or media. .

                  Cha-ching. Hell .. Ujuri might even consider a 3 year deal with a team option on year 3 for 18-20% of whatever the cap is next year.

                  Comment


                  • golden wrote: View Post

                    Serge will have a lot of value to contenders. He's almost a perfect fit for the Rockets' system as a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. Doesn't hurt that he re-unites with Westbrook & Harden. Or the Nets, who need a center with playoff experience... and Serge has that in spades.
                    Houston and brooklynn are both way over the cap without even factoring in cap reduction for Covid. Houston has 80 mill between Westbrook and Harden alone. Very few teams have any room at all.

                    Comment


                    • Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

                      Houston and brooklynn are both way over the cap without even factoring in cap reduction for Covid. Houston has 80 mill between Westbrook and Harden alone. Very few teams have any room at all.
                      One option I can see is if a team is willing to do a 4 year contract for the mid-level.. Pretty low ball number of about $6M (and probably less with the new cap figures). But if Serge values term over contract size, or something like weather then that might persuade him to leave.

                      Other options are S&T's. If Serge really wants to leave.. we could offer Serge for Robert Covington who they just acquired and is making about $11M/year for the next two years (not including this year).

                      Although I would rather keep the center depth over another wing player. But that's an option if Serge really wants to get out of here.

                      Comment


                      • ESPN "experts" pick their award winners:
                        https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...uld-win-season

                        Some Raptor notables:

                        MVP - Pascal Siakam (honorable mention)
                        ROY - Terrence Davis (should win 5th, at 3%)
                        COY - Nick Nurse (should win: 1st, 59%, will win: 1st, 53%)
                        MIP - Pascal Siakam (should win 5th, 9%)

                        Comment


                        • planetmars wrote: View Post

                          One option I can see is if a team is willing to do a 4 year contract for the mid-level.. Pretty low ball number of about $6M (and probably less with the new cap figures). But if Serge values term over contract size, or something like weather then that might persuade him to leave.

                          Other options are S&T's. If Serge really wants to leave.. we could offer Serge for Robert Covington who they just acquired and is making about $11M/year for the next two years (not including this year).

                          Although I would rather keep the center depth over another wing player. But that's an option if Serge really wants to get out of here.
                          lol, c'mon man 6M is absurd. i would guess that a lowball number for serge at this stage of his career is something like 18M, probably higher, as his skill set is one of the leagues most coveted (stretch 5 that can protect the rim). he's only 30.

                          if we offered him a mid-level he would rightly consider that a slap in the face and it would likely damage the organization's reputation.

                          Comment


                          • chris wrote: View Post

                            lol, c'mon man 6M is absurd. i would guess that a lowball number for serge at this stage of his career is something like 18M, probably higher, as his skill set is one of the leagues most coveted (stretch 5 that can protect the rim). he's only 30.

                            if we offered him a mid-level he would rightly consider that a slap in the face and it would likely damage the organization's reputation.
                            I also don't think Serge "really wants out of here"
                            Money talks but I also think players want to know how the team plans on getting better, not just status quo as we still don't really know what the Raps have for sure in the playoffs without Kawhi ....

                            Comment


                            • G__Deane wrote: View Post

                              I also don't think Serge "really wants out of here"
                              Money talks but I also think players want to know how the team plans on getting better, not just status quo as we still don't really know what the Raps have for sure in the playoffs without Kawhi ....
                              i don't think he wants out of here either, i'm sure he'd love to stay. same with fred.

                              but i would guess that they also feel they deserve fair market value and will not be amenable to taking massive discounts under the guise of saving cap space to spend on other players next off-season. i bet they feel they have enough to compete with the current group, which is hard to argue with given they just won a championship which they've been defending admirably this year.

                              Comment


                              • I'd love to see everyone back, specifically Marc and Serge on huge 1 + 1 deals and Fred on anything under 18mil (or whatever the post covid equivelant of 18 mil is). This is a good team and we need to keep all of our assets in case a star comes available or our young guys take another step and we need the depth. The only one I'm at all worried about is Marc as he may want term given his age. I'm not sure we can afford to commit a huge portion of our cap the next couple of seasons on Marc as much as I love the way he makes literally everyone way better.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X