X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Zion have an Aunt Denise?

Comment

• This is a time for optimism.
      The Raps getting fortunate and moving into the 4 slot in the draft is going to set the foundation for the next 5 to 7 years and those years will be good playoff years.

Conventional wisdom is that Cade Cunningham is the first player off the board. After that its not so clear who goes where but Evan Mobley and Jalen Green and Suggs will be the next three. I don't see Mobley going past both of Cleveland or Houston. Moreso Cleveland. Cleveland has 3 guys in the ballhandler / wing position in Garland and Sexton and Okoro. Adding a 4th really doesn't optomize roster construction. The argument is Best Player Available but teams don't draft 6 Offensive Lineman in the same draft if they are the BPA in that slot.

Which leaves one of Suggs or Green.depending on what Houston does. No one knows what Houston will do.

Both Suggs and Green to me look like Donovan Mitchel / Jamal Murray type players. Uber athletes that can do what we don't have. Get a shot any time they want to. Getting either of them is going to shape what the Raps look for going forward as next years roster fills out.

So what to do with Kyle ? Well you can keep Kyle and give Suggs or Green an Oxford level education on how to be a pro and play the position in the NBA. Or they can move Kyle to a team for a younger C a pick or prospect and take back a bad contract.

Suggs or Green will take the pressure off of Siakam who hasn't yet got to the level where you are holding your breath if he can get that basket when the game is on the line. He does it sometimes.. but sometimes doesn't let you win playoff games. Suggs or Green could be a guy that makes that shot most of the time. Kind of like a Mitchell or Murray.

So the backcourt PG and SG now projects to be Kyle Fred, a Jalen, Trent and Flynn.
      Patrolling the big and small wing positions will be OG , Siakam and probably Boucher
      At the 5 the Raps currently have an option to sign Birch if we want to keep him and Gillisepie. This is an area of need.
      We also have a bunch of "just a guy " type players in Watson, Yuta and, Bembry to fill out the bench and back up the wing positions.
      Its Cya to Baynes and Stanley

So who is available to upgrade at the 5 ?

Rashaun Holmes is a UFA but will require more cap space than we have if Kyle is resigned. I can't see Ujiri not getting something for Kyle and just letting him go so this appears to be a longshot. A S&T with Sacto is unfair punishment to Kyle. But if Kyle just outright signs with the Heat or the Knicks who have cap space then Holmes becomes an option.

If Kyle stays we could use the 9$M MLE to sign both Birch and Daniel Theiss and go with a C by committee. Or we could go get a one dimensional rim protector and shop vac to rebound only and cut down on all those second chance points. A guy like Biz or Robin Lopez comes cheap and stick with Birch and Gillespie.

The option to move Kyle in a S&T still exists. Maybe to Dallas for the Zinger or to the Clips for Zubac and filler or maybe even to Nawlins for Hayes and a bad contract we eat or try to flip. All those teams all need a PG and have a bad taste in their mouths on the season. With Chris Paul showing what a difference a vet PG can make this is not the pipe dream some might think.With the 4th pick being a ballhandler the S&T to Philly for Maxey and a FRP and filler doesn't help as much as getting a C.

Lots of options out there.

That 4th pick has really opened things up for the better.
      The one year #tampatank has paid off big time. .
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Jun 24, 2021, 11:01 AM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Yeah, Demo I guess I hadn’t really fully considered, with the idea of ‘getting something for Kyle, that if we do a sign & trade — we presumably will have no cap room to pursue free agents.

So really, at this stage … ‘getting something for Kyle’, unfortunately, could also just look like letting him walk (for nothing) and being able to sign somebody.

Have I got this right? Guess that’s one reason it would’ve been optimal to move him at the deadline if they were gonna part ways.
        (Still glad we didn’t let other GM’s have him for peanuts, at any rate.)

Comment

• I don't see Kyle staying honestly. The youth movement is happening and Kyle will be taking a big chunk of the cap space. He knows that as soon as he signs that contract he is on borrowed time.

I see Kyle and DeRozan teaming up again and signing with the Knicks.

Raptors probably end up drafting Suggs unless some kind of sweet deal comes in on draft day where they will get a coveted Center and will fall back a few spots in the draft.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            This is a time for optimism.
            The Raps getting fortunate and moving into the 4 slot in the draft is going to set the foundation for the next 5 to 7 years and those years will be good playoff years.

Conventional wisdom is that Cade Cunningham is the first player off the board. After that its not so clear who goes where but Evan Mobley and Jalen Green and Suggs will be the next three. I don't see Mobley going past both of Cleveland or Houston. Moreso Cleveland. Cleveland has 3 guys in the ballhandler / wing position in Garland and Sexton and Okoro. Adding a 4th really doesn't optomize roster construction. The argument is Best Player Available but teams don't draft 6 Offensive Lineman in the same draft if they are the BPA in that slot.

Which leaves one of Suggs or Green.depending on what Houston does. No one knows what Houston will do.

Both Suggs and Green to me look like Donovan Mitchel / Jamal Murray type players. Uber athletes that can do what we don't have. Get a shot any time they want to. Getting either of them is going to shape what the Raps look for going forward as next years roster fills out.

So what to do with Kyle ? Well you can keep Kyle and give Suggs or Green an Oxford level education on how to be a pro and play the position in the NBA. Or they can move Kyle to a team for a younger C a pick or prospect and take back a bad contract.

Suggs or Green will take the pressure off of Siakam who hasn't yet got to the level where you are holding your breath if he can get that basket when the game is on the line. He does it sometimes.. but sometimes doesn't let you win playoff games. Suggs or Green could be a guy that makes that shot most of the time. Kind of like a Mitchell or Murray.

So the backcourt PG and SG now projects to be Kyle Fred, a Jalen, Trent and Flynn.
            Patrolling the big and small wing positions will be OG , Siakam and probably Boucher
            At the 5 the Raps currently have an option to sign Birch if we want to keep him and Gillisepie. This is an area of need.
            We also have a bunch of "just a guy " type players in Watson, Yuta and, Bembry to fill out the bench and back up the wing positions.

Rashaun Holmes is a UFA but will require more cap space than we have if Kyle is resigned. I can't see Ujiri not getting something for Kyle and just letting him go so this appears to be a longshot. A S&T with Sacto is unfair punishment to Kyle. But if Kyle just outright signs with the Heat or the Knicks who have cap space then Holmes becomes an option.

If Kyle stays we could use the 9$M MLE to sign both Birch and Daniel Theiss and go with a C by committee. Or we could go get a one dimensional rim protector and shop vac to rebound only and cut down on all those second chance points. A guy like Biz or Robin Lopez comes cheap and stick with Birch and Gillespie.

The option to move Kyle in a S&T still exists. Maybe to Dallas for the Zinger or to the Clips for Zubac and filler or maybe even to Nawlins for Hayes and a bad contract we eat or try to flip. All those teams all need a PG and have a bad taste in their mouths on the season. With Chris Paul showing what a difference a vet PG can make this is not the pipe dream some might think.With the 4th pick being a ballhandler the S&T to Philly for Maxey and a FRP and filler doesn't help as much as getting a C.

Suggs and Green are not alike

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
              I don't see Kyle staying honestly. The youth movement is happening and Kyle will be taking a big chunk of the cap space. He knows that as soon as he signs that contract he is on borrowed time.

I see Kyle and DeRozan teaming up again and signing with the Knicks.

Raptors probably end up drafting Suggs unless some kind of sweet deal comes in on draft day where they will get a coveted Center and will fall back a few spots in the draft.
              Chris Paul has proven (twice now) how impactful a smart vet can be on a young team. Kyle will only help a guy like Suggs, not hurt his development.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post

Suggs and Green are not alike
                Thats not what I said.
                Read it again.
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Jun 24, 2021, 04:32 PM.
                - TGO

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, Demo I guess I hadn’t really fully considered, with the idea of ‘getting something for Kyle, that if we do a sign & trade — we presumably will have no cap room to pursue free agents.

So really, at this stage … ‘getting something for Kyle’, unfortunately, could also just look like letting him walk (for nothing) and being able to sign somebody.

Have I got this right? Guess that’s one reason it would’ve been optimal to move him at the deadline if they were gonna part ways.
                  (Still glad we didn’t let other GM’s have him for peanuts, at any rate.)
                  Its so hard to just wave goodbye to this guy.
                  I think his grandkids shouldn't have to buy a drink or a dinner in this town.
                  But i do think Masai Ujiri.. the Jedi of GM's .... missed on trading him at the deadline.
                  But.. its better to be lucky than good sometimes.... and the GM got lucky with Chris Paul about to take the Suns to the NBA Finals.
                  Kyles value on the open market should reamin high with that compare.
                  Ujiri can orchestrate a sign and trade but he is going to do it with Kyles input.
                  There are good landing spots as the narrative has a good close with the suns moving on the to the finals.

The Clips need a PG . He is going to play with Kawhai and and Serge. Thats a fit. Its SoCal. He would say OK.
                  We could get Zubac and a pick.
                  The Mavs just lost their front office and their coach. They also don't have a PG that can spell Doncic from having to bring up the ball up and initiate the offence for a full 48 minutes. They need some help in the worst way. Kyle is both coach on the floor and can spell Doncic without losing production. Texas has no state income tax. And the Mavs are sour on the Zinger. It could be a fit.
                  Nawlins has shit the bed two years running. Zion is now "unhappy". How many times can Griff fire the coach to save his hide.
                  Griffin has seen what Paul has done. Kyle might like the idea of playing with Zion and making him Karl Malone.
                  New Orleans has a young C we can use. Kyle will have to say yes to this. Philly and New Orleans rarely come up in the same sentence

I would trade him if he was OK with his landing spot and the return was decent. You cant outright win every trade.If he wants to go might as well get something for it. .
                  If he expresses an desire to stay and the price its right I am good with him staying too.

But..
                  We have choices.. and thats a good thing.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Jun 24, 2021, 04:58 PM.
                  - TGO

Comment

New Orleans has a young C we can use. Kyle will have to say yes to this. Philly and New Orleans rarely come up in the same sentence
                    Not only a young C but also a young PG in Lonzo whom they seem to have a chippy relationship with.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Not only a young C but also a young PG in Lonzo whom they seem to have a chippy relationship with.
                      This team has no balls ....

Comment

• https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/...o-raptors.html

Comment

This is a time for optimism.

you do not want Zinger ... I will repeat that again YOU DO NOT WANT ZINGER. There are some teams that may want to take their chances at porzingis... we don't have to be one of them. Look at his production.. go watch those games in the playoffs... then if you still aren't sure.. go check his salary. GSW is actually talking about a Zingis for Oubre swap...

Maxey and a first is more than fine and gives us assets.

My dream would be moving up grabbing Mobley ... signing birch. Birch starts but plays only 25 minutes kind of like Ibaka and Gasol, until two years later when Mobley is ready for full-time center minutes physically.

GTJ is more than capable of holding down the starting role for now. Not ideal but not bad he is young and still has plenty of potential to become something great.

You have now solved the center spot and have started to collect assets for the next star available.. let us say that star is Lavine or someone like that. GREAT. You now go after him or beal or CJ or something I don't know (not big on CJ personally but yeah) with Maxey, that first round ... future assets, gtj.

THAT gets you what you want in all ways. Alternatively, we can use Fred in the future to help build a trade around in the future to try to get someone. I love Fred but he is likely one of our tradable pieces.

IF you get one of the Jalens, you say OK I am happy with him. and then you go with signing Holmes or try to trade for turner.

Comment

• I liked his open minded take to it considering he is a big fan of the player

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Chris Paul has proven (twice now) how impactful a smart vet can be on a young team. Kyle will only help a guy like Suggs, not hurt his development.
                              I completely agree with this, and I will add the suggestion I've made before: if Kyle is willing to come back, bring him back as a player-coach (well, player assistant-coach, but you get the idea). He is already significantly older than literally every other Raptor (not counting Aron Baynes, the current second-oldest Raptor is Khem Birch at 28). Making him an official player-coach will help him transition into his post-playing career since he's said he's interested in coaching, it comes with some prestige since there hasn't been a player-coach in this league since Bill Russell, and you can make an under-the-table promise to him that his initial coaching salary once he retires from playing will be significantly higher than one might expect.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

I completely agree with this, and I will add the suggestion I've made before: if Kyle is willing to come back, bring him back as a player-coach (well, player assistant-coach, but you get the idea). He is already significantly older than literally every other Raptor (not counting Aron Baynes, the current second-oldest Raptor is Khem Birch at 28). Making him an official player-coach will help him transition into his post-playing career since he's said he's interested in coaching, it comes with some prestige since there hasn't been a player-coach in this league since Bill Russell, and you can make an under-the-table promise to him that his initial coaching salary once he retires from playing will be significantly higher than one might expect.
                                Player-coach is against the rules. Literally can’t officially make him that or anything like that. Hence it not happening since Bill Russell.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X