Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

I imagine the logic is that he wouldn't be the least bit unplayable and that one poster saying that he would be doesn't actually mean he would be.
    Same poster that calls him unplayable also doesn't think Edey can hold up playing over 30 minutes a night. Reminds me of the old restaurant joke "The food is terrible and the portions are too small"
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Per BBRef, Kelly played 39% PF / 61% C for Utah this year prior to the trade. Last year 48% PF / 52 % C.
      I just went by BBref and he's been listed as a C for 5 years.

Also watched every single Raps game he played and he never played PF for us. Since he plays for us I think that's more relevant.

Comment

Same poster that calls him unplayable also doesn't think Edey can hold up playing over 30 minutes a night. Reminds me of the old restaurant joke "The food is terrible and the portions are too small"
        Never said that once.

If you wanna make snide remarks at least make accurate ones.

I said he will be unplayable, not that he will have conditioning issues. I literally just saw him play almost complete NCAA games.

Edey got benched for team Canada because he was an absolute disaster on defense not because he was tired.

Boban get limited minutes because he's unplayable not because he gets too tired. Edey will be the same.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Never said that once.

If you wanna make snide remarks at least make accurate ones.

I said he will be unplayable, not that he will have conditioning issues. I literally just saw him play almost complete NCAA games.

Edey got benched for team Canada because he was an absolute disaster on defense not because he was tired.

Boban get limited minutes because he's unplayable not because he gets too tired. Edey will be the same.
          Primer, I know it wasn't you, it was the other Boban guy. Go back to to see who Dan and I were responding to. Maybe it's you who should be more accurate.

If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I imagine the logic is that he wouldn't be the least bit unplayable and that one poster saying that he would be doesn't actually mean he would be.
            Can you explain how he will be playable in the NBA?
            Even to this current Raptors team?

Comment

Primer, I know it wasn't you, it was the other Boban guy. Go back to to see who Dan and I were responding to. Maybe it's you who should be more accurate.
              That was me, feel free to mention my name next time.
              That remark was an exaggerated sarcasm directed towards Edey sentimentalists here.
              Never for once believed he can stay on the floor in the big league as he did in college.
              Nothing personal towards the kid, he seems to be a good kid who worked very hard on his game and I wish he gets rewarded for that
              but just not on a rebuilding Raptors who can no longer afford to draft long shot projects.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

That was me, feel free to mention my name next time.
                That remark was an exaggerated sarcasm directed towards Edey sentimentalists here.
                Never for once believed he can stay on the floor in the big league as he did in college.
                Nothing personal towards the kid, he seems to be a good kid who worked very hard on his game and I wish he gets rewarded for that
                but just not on a rebuilding Raptors who can no longer afford to draft long shot projects.
                Agree on some things at least. Don't want Raptors picking him at 19 for sure. I already said previously he's probably a 15 minute guy. And yes, he has bust potential, but most every other player in this draft has as well, especially outside the lottery..

Still think some team will take him, probably in the 20-25 range.

Comment

• Not sure if we've talked much about Zach Edey on here, but here's a recent scouting report from HoopHype:

Zach Edey

2002 | 7’4 | 7’10 WS | 300 LBS

Team: Purdue

Best aggregate mock draft rank: 13 / Worst rank: NR

2023-24 stats:

In 2023-24, Edey averaged 24.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 2.2 blocks, and 0.3 steals per game. He shot 62.5 percent from the field, 50.0 percent from three, and 71.1 percent from the foul line.

Strengths:

* Elite shot-blocking ability due to imposing size, providing a significant presence in the paint
                  * Proficient post scorer with remarkable touch around the rim, capable of securing positioning effectively
                  * Exceptional screener, creating opportunities for himself and teammates with his screening prowess
                  * Adept hands and finesse around the basket, excelling in finishing plays and drawing fouls
                  * Steady improvement as a free throw shooter, demonstrating progress in this aspect of his game
                  * Proficient drop-coverage defender, disrupting opposing offenses with his presence in the paint

Weaknesses:
                  * Struggles defensively against smaller and quicker opponents, particularly on the perimeter
                  * Limited mobility poses a significant hurdle, potentially hindering effectiveness against NBA speed
                  * Questions about fit in today’s NBA as a traditional center, especially regarding defending rapid transitions
                  * Uncertainties about ability to adapt to NBA-level defense, including preventing corner penetration and maintaining consistent transition defense

Scotto's draft notes:
                  “Edey might become the back-to-back Player of the Year,” a longtime NBA executive told HoopsHype. “He’s huge and can score down low, but we don’t play that way. He’s someone that I think can be able to step outside eventually because he shoots free throws well. If he gets switched out on the perimeter, however, he won’t be able to stop anyone.”

“People are talking about Edey going in the first round and I’m asking myself if we’re really talking about a situational big man in the first round?” an NBA scout told HoopsHype. “Is he going to be a starter? No. Is he going to be a backup every night? Probably not. He’s Boban Marjanovic in my opinion.”
                  https://hoopshype.com/lists/zach-ede...ort-and-intel/

Comment

Zubac out here playing 25+ minutes per in the playoffs. Prospect to prospect, Edey is 10x the player Zubac was coming into the league, and likely just as "slow footed".

And the fact that people keep relying on how he played in the FIBA tourney as a 20 year old against fully grown professional men, is wild. Big men are notorious for developing slower than guards and taking a few years to figure things out. There's plenty of them.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Zubac out here playing 25+ minutes per in the playoffs. Prospect to prospect, Edey is 10x the player Zubac was coming into the league, and likely just as "slow footed".

And the fact that people keep relying on how he played in the FIBA tourney as a 20 year old against fully grown professional men, is wild. Big men are notorious for developing slower than guards and taking a few years to figure things out. There's plenty of them.
                      His poor play in FIBA wasn't lack of experience, it was lack of being able to move his body quick enough to do anything. Unless he can park underneath the basket he's got problems.

Zubac is a lot more mobile than Edey. That's some wishful thinking making that comparison.

Comment

He's a projected potential lotto pick because plenty of scouts think he can be viable defensively. Which is the primary concern. He's made leaps and bounds of improvement on that end even in the past year, so even if your position is that in his current form he won't be able to stay on the court, there's plenty of reason to believe he can get there.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hope the guy gets a chance but I don't know if Edey is quick enough laterally to play 1st team minutes.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• I just don't know what Eddy is going to operate in an NBA offense. If your a believer you think he will be a bigger positive on offense then potential negative being hunted in NBA pick and roll.

What's his offense game.. strict posts up and push shots. Rusillo had a good part of his podcast on post ups a few weeks ago. Jokic and Embiid lead the NBA with a whopping 8 posts up per game.. 10 years ago Al jefferson had over 20 a game and Dwayne wade posted up the same amount jokic and Embiid do today.

So say Zach gets the exact same amount of posts up as the best big man on the league. He probably my has to score on 75% of those for 12 pts a game to break even on how much he will be hunted in the PNR.

I just don't see how his game is going to translate to the NBA. He may actually be suited for the international game which would be great for us. But at that size you have to be a generational talent to demand the post touches in today's NBA
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• We’re back! Finally we can talk Edey again.

Comment

He's a projected potential lotto pick because plenty of scouts think he can be viable defensively. Which is the primary concern. He's made leaps and bounds of improvement on that end even in the past year, so even if your position is that in his current form he won't be able to stay on the court, there's plenty of reason to believe he can get there.
                                I don't believe you can find a trend line and then just extend it indefinitely. But I agree with you. He has shown steady improvement over the last two years. I can't think of any reason why his improvement should stop once he is in a situation where the developmental and fitness coaches are in the top percentile of the world. How much would it cost the Raptors to grab Edey with their last pick and then work with him for the next two years? And what would they be giving up if they did that? I think they would wind up with a player who has possibilities no one else has on offer. And they could use him strategically in games as they continued his development.

Comment

Working...
                                X