Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    I have a feeling you can have Edey with Summer League invite
    Nah, the SL invite should be DJ "Big Zion" Burns Jr. He's DOG, baby!!!

If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

He's 3rd at NBADraft.net.

Which prompts the question - Which draft sites are the best? I personally like ESPN best, B/R and the Ringer good. Am I wrong or missing something?
      NBADraft.net is usually way off the board compared to other sites that do mocks and rank draft picks. I liked Dean on Draft in the past but I suspect he's been hired by an NBA team as a scout since he hasn't updated his site for awhile.

There are a few guys. The Athletic, Yahoo, CBS Sports also come out with their picks and I end up going to a few of them to get a variety of different opinions.

This site calculates a "consensus" from gathering data from all those various sites and is updated on a regular basis:
      https://www.rookiescale.com/2024-consensus-board/

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

NBADraft.net is usually way off the board compared to other sites that do mocks and rank draft picks. I liked Dean on Draft in the past but I suspect he's been hired by an NBA team as a scout since he hasn't updated his site for awhile.

There are a few guys. The Athletic, Yahoo, CBS Sports also come out with their picks and I end up going to a few of them to get a variety of different opinions.

This site calculates a "consensus" from gathering data from all those various sites and is updated on a regular basis:
        NBADraft.net has the "best" player comparisons. I think they just go by facial and body type similarities. And of course... zero cross-racial comps allowed.

Comment

Good stuff, especially that consensus site. Thanks.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Pretty sure that consesus is from nbadraft.net, wich is pretty good actually

Comment

Purdue is tough to play when you don't have a big guy. It's like every college team needed that 7ft stiff to play against Edey like the NBA used to do when Shaq was playing. Ultimately I also don't think Edey will work out in the NBA. I just think he's too robotic. Doesn't have a natural feel to his game. And that methodical play is not going to work so well against skilled players or guys just a big as he is.

I haven't seen much of Clingan play but I hear he looks more natural. Has some pretty good defensive numbers in college too. So would be nice if we get to see the head to head matchup in the finals.

Knecht was really good too.. he looks like a Max Struss type of player though. He's a senior as well. I think he's a safe pick. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a top 6 pick and took him. But I think he's already at his ceiling. And I don't think it's a terrible ceiling. Guys like Struss, Bogdonovic (either one), Huerter, etc are all like $16-20M players in today's NBA.. and have made nice livings as a rotation wing shooter. But if you want upside (ie, all-star caliber).. you won't get that from him IMO.
              So probability wise we have a higher chance of moving up into the top 4 than staying at 6. There is only around a 9% chance of staying at 6. There is the biggest chance of moving back ~55%.

IF we stay at 6.

One of the following players would be available:

Topic, Cody Williams, Potentially one Ron or Matas though they may in fact,Castle, Isaiah Collier. I don't mind taking a senior prospect for your middle pick or even a sophmore. I dont know if I am taking him at our first pick when he is an undersized wing (good size for a guard) who can't defend. It's one thing to take Brice Sensibaugh because he is 18/19 years old and putting up luka numbers on luka usage but has the body that could allow him to defend one day vs Dalton who is close to his ceiling. I lean against it.

Comment

• "Get that Boban gahbage outta here"

Givony:

Already coming into this game a projected lottery pick, this was exactly the type of performance that could further propel him into the top 10 for one of the many teams that already has bought into the impact he'll surely make in the NBA. This effort also could go a long way in convincing the holdouts of just how impactful his tremendous size, length, strength, toughness, skill level and intensity can be at the next level. Edey has been viewed by most NBA teams ESPN has spoken with as a lock first-round pick for months now, but his standing has improved considerably with his late-blooming trajectory (he has only been playing basketball since age 15), competitiveness and the fact that he is still a young senior at age 21.

Comment

• Masai had been bad recently but Zach Edey is the pick that will ultimately get him fired. LOL

Comment

• More on Edey:
                    Perhaps more important (and more notable from an NBA standpoint) was the way Edey shut down the paint, helping hold Tennessee to just seven made 2-pointers in the half court all game. He did an outstanding job of bothering shots with his length, coming up with several impressive possessions operating out of a drop while making the Volunteers think twice about even attempting shots with him in the vicinity. He stepped outside the paint on several occasions showing impressive mobility in sliding his feet and 7-foot- 4 frame and continued to work hard deep into the second half while playing all but 33 seconds of the 40-minute contest.

Clearly battling fatigue, Edey's defensive impact did drop off somewhat in the second half, which is concerning at the NBA level. Beyond that, Edey's sheer skill-level catching and finishing out of the pick-and-roll, utilizing polished footwork and using both hands finishing inside the paint was impressive to see. He didn't receive anywhere near the same type of whistle as he usually does in Big Ten play, as Tennessee's big men were allowed to grab, hold, push and essentially foul him on every possession. His physicality and competitiveness playing through relentless contact was on display as he drew 22 free throws. He made some smart passes out of double-teams and got his teammates a number of easy baskets with his screening. In the paint, he dominated the offensive glass, as usual, being impossible to dislodge in front of the rim once he established position.

Comment

• yo dalton impressed me

Comment

• cody and edey or dalton and edey both will be available i am good either way

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

So probability wise we have a higher chance of moving up into the top 4 than staying at 6. There is only around a 9% chance of staying at 6. There is the biggest chance of moving back ~55%.

IF we stay at 6.

One of the following players would be available:

Topic, Cody Williams, Potentially one Ron or Matas though they may in fact,Castle, Isaiah Collier. I don't mind taking a senior prospect for your middle pick or even a sophmore. I dont know if I am taking him at our first pick when he is an undersized wing (good size for a guard) who can't defend. It's one thing to take Brice Sensibaugh because he is 18/19 years old and putting up luka numbers on luka usage but has the body that could allow him to defend one day vs Dalton who is close to his ceiling. I lean against it.
                          If we get all three picks I think it could end up being a lot like 2016. In 2016 we took Jak as the "safe" pick at 9. But that was where he pretty much was ranked in most mocks that year. We then took Pascal at 27 which felt like a reach. Ultimately took Fred off the UDFA market. Remember we still had JV in his prime.. yet still took Jak in the lottery. Most fans wanted us to get more of a project like Skal. I don't think Masai will gamble on that top 6 pick even if it means taking a senior (and I acknowledge that Jak was only 21 and a sophomore when drafted).

Scottie was a "reach" but he was still mocked around 7-8. We just took him at 4. Not a huge reach.

I think we could use the top 6 pick to go safer.. like a Sheppard/Knecht type of player. And reach a bit with the Pacers pick and get a guy that might have a higher ceiling but isn't in our mock range (maybe like Edey but I hope not). Then at 31 look to get someone that might be trying to bet on himself a little bit. Or just get whoever they feel is a Raptory type of player that's still there after the first round.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            cody and edey or dalton and edey both will be available i am good either way
                            You often made mention of Darko's coaching style.
                            What makes you think Edey fits in his system?

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              More on Edey:
                              Perhaps more important (and more notable from an NBA standpoint) was the way Edey shut down the paint, helping hold Tennessee to just seven made 2-pointers in the half court all game. He did an outstanding job of bothering shots with his length, coming up with several impressive possessions operating out of a drop while making the Volunteers think twice about even attempting shots with him in the vicinity. He stepped outside the paint on several occasions showing impressive mobility in sliding his feet and 7-foot- 4 frame and continued to work hard deep into the second half while playing all but 33 seconds of the 40-minute contest.

Clearly battling fatigue, Edey's defensive impact did drop off somewhat in the second half, which is concerning at the NBA level. Beyond that, Edey's sheer skill-level catching and finishing out of the pick-and-roll, utilizing polished footwork and using both hands finishing inside the paint was impressive to see. He didn't receive anywhere near the same type of whistle as he usually does in Big Ten play, as Tennessee's big men were allowed to grab, hold, push and essentially foul him on every possession. His physicality and competitiveness playing through relentless contact was on display as he drew 22 free throws. He made some smart passes out of double-teams and got his teammates a number of easy baskets with his screening. In the paint, he dominated the offensive glass, as usual, being impossible to dislodge in front of the rim once he established position.
                              I watched and this is not what I saw at all.

The refs were treating Edey like Lebron. Look at him wrong and it's a foul. No matter what Edey does on defense or offense it's not a foul.

If you think that's replicable at the NBA level then go ahead and take him. I think that's delusional.

Comment

• FWIW, I'm not saying the Raptors should take Edey. My point is that some team will take Edey a lot sooner than the naysayers think. I predicted he'd go 20th. That will be proven right or wrong in only a few months. I'd like to hear anyone else make their prediction on his draft position.

Comment

Working...
                                X