Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If we get all three picks I think it could end up being a lot like 2016. In 2016 we took Jak as the "safe" pick at 9. But that was where he pretty much was ranked in most mocks that year. We then took Pascal at 27 which felt like a reach. Ultimately took Fred off the UDFA market. Remember we still had JV in his prime.. yet still took Jak in the lottery. Most fans wanted us to get more of a project like Skal. I don't think Masai will gamble on that top 6 pick even if it means taking a senior (and I acknowledge that Jak was only 21 and a sophomore when drafted).

Scottie was a "reach" but he was still mocked around 7-8. We just took him at 4. Not a huge reach.

I think we could use the top 6 pick to go safer.. like a Sheppard/Knecht type of player. And reach a bit with the Pacers pick and get a guy that might have a higher ceiling but isn't in our mock range (maybe like Edey but I hope not). Then at 31 look to get someone that might be trying to bet on himself a little bit. Or just get whoever they feel is a Raptory type of player that's still there after the first round.
    I didn't think Barnes was a reach.

But I think there are safer picks than Knecht in my opinion. Cody Williams, Sheppard, Matas if he is there, Sheppard if he remains in the draft is a maybe... I do not see Edey as a safe pick. I dont think he has a super high ceiling either other than the fact that he is just ... big. Kel el ware would be a higher ceiling.. .even the french kid Tidjane .

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I didn't think Barnes was a reach.

But I think there are safer picks than Knecht in my opinion. Cody Williams, Sheppard, Matas if he is there, Sheppard if he remains in the draft is a maybe... I do not see Edey as a safe pick. I dont think he has a super high ceiling either other than the fact that he is just ... big. Kel el ware would be a higher ceiling.. .even the french kid Tidjane .
      I think there will potentially be about 10 different guys you can label safe for a top 6 pick (likely top 4 if we keep it). But since he's been a Raptor, Masai has only ever drafted from the NCAA except for Bruno and he didn't last long in the organization. So Buzelis would actually be a bit of a reach for him if we go by history. As would that French kid. Or either Risacher, Starr or Topic.

I don't think Edey is a safe pick at all. Hence why he might be considered for that Pacers pick. You have scouts saying he's the next Boban. You don't draft a Boban in the first round. He only plays like 5-7 minutes a game, maybe 20 times a year. But that risk might be worth it for them if they get a safer guy in the top 6. Basically they can afford to "waste" a pick by going big on one selection.

And yet, I still hope they pass on Edey. I'm just saying there is a chance he could be the guy they take with that pick.

But not to get too lost in the weeds here.. my initial point was that despite Knecht being a senior and looking like a potential role player in the NBA that if they get a top 4 pick and they feel like he's their BPA.. I think they could certainly take him.

Comment

I think there will potentially be about 10 different guys you can label safe for a top 6 pick (likely top 4 if we keep it). But since he's been a Raptor, Masai has only ever drafted from the NCAA except for Bruno and he didn't last long in the organization. So Buzelis would actually be a bit of a reach for him if we go by history. As would that French kid. Or either Risacher, Starr or Topic.

I don't think Edey is a safe pick at all. Hence why he might be considered for that Pacers pick. You have scouts saying he's the next Boban. You don't draft a Boban in the first round. He only plays like 5-7 minutes a game, maybe 20 times a year. But that risk might be worth it for them if they get a safer guy in the top 6. Basically they can afford to "waste" a pick by going big on one selection.

And yet, I still hope they pass on Edey. I'm just saying there is a chance he could be the guy they take with that pick.

But not to get too lost in the weeds here.. my initial point was that despite Knecht being a senior and looking like a potential role player in the NBA that if they get a top 4 pick and they feel like he's their BPA.. I think they could certainly take him.
        In terms of strictly basketball perspective, with no other factor like age, contract, etc involved, just basketball per se.
        If Masai adds of picks up Boban, how would it feel?
        What is his fit in the team?
        Will Masai even entertain that idea,
        I do not think so.

Comment

• Comment

I think the safest pick would be someone who could at least project to be a two way player.. I think there are too many options at 6 for two way guys that you dont need to take dalton just my opinion.

thanks for clarifying about edey.

We shouldn't pick up and I dont think we will. To me I think your safe picks in the sarr, matas, holland, MAYBE castle... MAYBE collier if you want to reach a bit....topic is a bit more of a swing... but I think he is safe personally because of how he defended early on and his finihsing at the rim is impressive 70%.

All in all this draft low key is lame but everyone was getting sensitive. there is a reason why all the mock drafts are all over the map. you have some people suggesting clingan is a #1 pick.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Didn’t those same experts say the 2014 draft (Wiggins, Jabari Parker, …) was gonna be one of the best ever?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Didn’t those same experts say the 2014 draft (Wiggins, Jabari Parker, …) was gonna be one of the best ever?
                Don't think so. Those execs got fired.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Don't think so. Those execs got fired.
                  lol. And deservedly so. I mean, I just looked it up and the 2014 expert certified "generational draft" is even worse than I remember. 5 out of the top 10 picks were straight up busts who washed out of the league.

Last edited by golden; Mon Apr 1, 2024, 11:23 PM.

Comment

That's the hope.

Comment

lol. And deservedly so. I mean, I just looked it up and the 2014 expert certified "generational draft" is even worse than I remember. 5 out of the top 10 picks were straight up busts who washed out of the league.

That's actually not bad.

There is a MVP generational player in Embiid. Really don't think there is one of those in this draft.

Plus several all stars and a DPOY in Smart.

That seems quite a bit better than this draft.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

That's actually not bad.

There is a MVP generational player in Embiid. Really don't think there is one of those in this draft.

Plus several all stars and a DPOY in Smart.

That seems quite a bit better than this draft.
                        The 2013 draft was one of the worst ever and it still produced another generational talent in Giannis and 3X DPOY Gobert. There are good players to be found in every draft, especially role players. The so-called experts always miss out on them.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

In terms of strictly basketball perspective, with no other factor like age, contract, etc involved, just basketball per se.
                          If Masai adds of picks up Boban, how would it feel?
                          What is his fit in the team?
                          Will Masai even entertain that idea,
                          I do not think so.
                          I don't know if he does take him. I'm pretty split trying to figure out if he would. Dan Tolzman basically said the other day that they don't draft players based on the current roster makeup. And Edey obviously doesn't fit the current roster makeup. He's also Canadian. Doesn't mean he takes him but he's also just recently traded for both RJ and Kelly. They drafted Banton a few years ago. I think that passport might be important. The draft is also pretty weak (ie, no front runner all-star caliber players). So they could reach a bit and bring in the home town kid.

As for entertaining it.. I hope not. For all the reasons why they might take him, I don't think he's going to help the Raptors. Yet if they do end up taking him you just hope that he pans out. I have a lot of trust with this front office when it comes to drafting in the first round. Outside of Flynn and Bruno there haven't been many disappointments. Yet even Bruno helped us get the 905ers.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                            I think the safest pick would be someone who could at least project to be a two way player.. I think there are too many options at 6 for two way guys that you dont need to take dalton just my opinion.

thanks for clarifying about edey.

We shouldn't pick up and I dont think we will. To me I think your safe picks in the sarr, matas, holland, MAYBE castle... MAYBE collier if you want to reach a bit....topic is a bit more of a swing... but I think he is safe personally because of how he defended early on and his finihsing at the rim is impressive 70%.

All in all this draft low key is lame but everyone was getting sensitive. there is a reason why all the mock drafts are all over the map. you have some people suggesting clingan is a #1 pick.
                            If this draft has no obvious all-star talents then why not draft a really, really good role player? Isn't it better to get a guy that you know can play at the NBA level, even as a 6th man or 5th option as a starter then a potential bust? And role players can be 1-way players.

Clingan is potentially projected to go #1 because he has really good defensive metrics in college. He might just be a role player.. but I mean getting a starting caliber center that can protect the rim is probably something a lot of teams could use. Even the Raptors for example. Even if he just ends up being a backup for the first 1-2 years of his career.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              FWIW, I'm not saying the Raptors should take Edey. My point is that some team will take Edey a lot sooner than the naysayers think. I predicted he'd go 20th. That will be proven right or wrong in only a few months. I'd like to hear anyone else make their prediction on his draft position.
                              I had him pegged to go in the early 2nd round a few weeks ago and I think I'm still there. His performance in the tourney has been great and hopefully someone takes him sooner. I just look at him as a player that isn't going to dominate on offense in the NBA because nobody builds their offence around low post scoring anymore, and for good reason. And when I did a search of "Zack Edey defensive highlights" on youtube, this was the first video that popped up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2PDgqaE4Ik

Not very encouraging.

Comment

• Crap, the two guys I've been talking about the most who weren't on FR draft boards a week ago have arrived on the Ringers most recent mock draft. Tidjane Salaun (13) and Tristan Da Silva (15). I'd take Salaun in the top 5 if we keep our pick. He'll take a while to develop, but he looks like he has a higher ceiling that most in this draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X