X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Dude why would Minnesota do this?

Think about it from the other team's perspective at least a little bit. Delon is an ok, but older prospect who they'd have to pay this summer. That future 1st doesn't have a lot of value. Just getting Dieng off their books isn't enough to get a deal done here.

I think OG or Siakam have to be in the trade, you have to give them SOMETHING of value dude.
    Same reason why the Spurs fire saled Kawhi - other offers were soft. Teams like Boston and Philly don't want to give up top young assets for rentals. Neither do the Lakers. Win-now pretender teams like the Wizards and Pelicans don't have assets and aren't really close enough to contending to risk wasting assets, like young prospects or picks. Bucks might have an outside shot, but again, too far from legit contending, no assets to dangle and a non attractive NBA city.

The only teams in win-now mode who could get over the hump to the Finals AND have some assets to dangle AND are willing to use them this year are: the Raps, OKC, Spurs & Rockets, IMO.

That's a small market for Butler, so you really need to be thinking in terms of what those teams would likely be willing to offer and how our bid stacks up.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Same reason why the Spurs fire saled Kawhi - other offers were soft. Teams like Boston and Philly don't want to give up top young assets for rentals. Neither do the Lakers. Win-now pretender teams like the Wizards and Pelicans don't have assets and aren't really close enough to contending to risk wasting assets, like young prospects or picks.

The only teams in win-now mode who could get over the hump to the Finals AND have some assets to dangle AND are willing to use them this year are: the Raps, OKC, Spurs & Rockets, IMO. Bucks might have an outside shot, but again, too far from legit contending, no assets to dangle and a non attractive NBA city.

That's a small market for Butler, so you really need to be thinking in terms of what those teams would likely be willing to offer and how our bid stacks up.
      The Spurs didn't "fire-sale" Leonard, they got a top 25 player back for him. They didn't want a rebuilding package, they wanted to remain relevant so they traded with the team that could give them an all-star in return.

That offer is not enough to get Butler. We aren't giving up anything and the Wolves aren't getting anything other than cap relief from Dieng's deal (which isn't even really that great considering it's just one year longer than Ibaka's for less money per year).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Takes a lot more than talent to be a contender and I don't think the other stuff (heart, work ethic, compete level) can be taught or coached.
        I know because I made that exact point not but 4 hours ago in the Kawhi thread lol.

Still gimme towns over butler. A lot of guys mature late
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

So the Clippers are just gonna stand around and not outbid that then yeah?
          If the Clippers think he would sign there long term they might as well wait for him to hit free agency and not give up any assets. He sure as shit wouldn't make them contenders this year, especially since they'd have to send out all their decent players to make the salaries work.

Comment

So the Clippers are just gonna stand around and not outbid that then yeah?
            Non-playoff teams will be hesitant to make a bid for Butler because of how intolerant he is of losing games. He's pretty much guaranteed to leave a team like that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Clippers are just one example.

You don't think Philly would make an offer for him?

Idk how you guys think we're going to get Butler for Wright and a future 1st.

Comment

• I'm not as optimistic as other guys here about landing Butler.. but negotiations come down to a few things for a rental like Butler:

1) Is a GM willing to trade a guy like Butler to another team in the same conference?
                2) Is the team trading Butler trying to win now or get prospects?
                3) What teams are willing to give away assets for a rental even as good as Butler is?

For Kawhi it was simple. Pops/Buford wanted an all-star and wanted a guy that can win now. Pops is old and only has a few years left. Go out strong. Teams were shy in giving up good players (like Simmons, Brown or Tatum, Ingram and/or Kuzma) especially when a lot of those teams will have cap space to just get him in the off season (like Philly or LAL or even LAC). Plus Pops demanded more from teams in LA since they were his immediate competition unlike a team in the Eastern conference.

Raptors offered DeMar and were 5th in the totem poll.. and got him.

For the Thunder last year they took the gamble to help keep Russ.. and it worked.

This is all speculation but for Thibs and Minny it seems sort of similar as the Kawhi situation. Thibs is a win now coach. Minny is starving for playoff success and not wanting another rebuild/grind. They'll want a guy that can help them win now.

Raptors have vets like Ibaka, Miles, Green and can throw in a Wright... but the quality of these guys is nothing like a DeMar (or even a guy like Oladipo was coming out of OKC). Yet it's still hard to find teams out there, especially this late in the summer, that might want to give away talent on a rental. You need a team/GM that is willing to take a risk.

That's why I think teams like Washington, Portland, Memphis, San Antonio and Miami should take a stab. They are border line playoff teams and need something to help elevate them into contention. But I'm not sure if these guys would. Masai has proven he's willing to do it, but his chips aren't as strong as they once used to be.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold.

Comment

Clippers are just one example.

You don't think Philly would make an offer for him?

Idk how you guys think we're going to get Butler for Wright and a future 1st.
                  What do you think Philly is going to give up?

We're talking about Thibs here. He doesn't want a long rebuild. He wants players to contribute now. He looks at Ibaka and thinks "defensive juggernaught of 2013". Dude is trying to rebuild the bulls still. In reality tho, Ibaka and Miles fit that team very well. And Wright has great upside as a 2 way player still relatively young. Plus a pick. Its more than I would offer in this exact scenario. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Why would we want to give up OG or Pascal for Butler? It's not like we're "desperate" to get him.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Why would we want to give up OG or Pascal for Butler? It's not like we're "desperate" to get him.
                      We should be. A Butler-Kawhi duo would be destructive. You give yourself a very good shot at taking the Warriors down.

Comment

• The only teams that would realistically beat our offer are Milwaukee, the Lakers and Philly if they give up Fultz (which they weren't willing to do for Kawhi).

Comment

• Gotta love RR. Our shiny new toy hasnt even played a game but we're bored of that and want a new shiny new toy
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            I say go for it.

Get Butler.

Everything on the table but OG
                            I'd rather hold on to Kawhi.. but that's just me

Comment

• Jimmy Butler liked an Instagram post guys. That's it. There was no report or rumour that the Raptors are interested in him.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                Jimmy Butler liked an Instagram post guys. That's it. There was no report or rumour that the Raptors are interested in him.
                                Thanks tips. The entire league is interested in him when he says he wants out of Minny now which means it just became cheaper to get him. People are discussing the possibility of the raps getting him because we are one of the few teams in a realistic position to actually do it. No one is putting their house on it but anyone paying attention to what's going on knows its certainly possible.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X