No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check me on this, but I recall an interview in which Kawhi said he wanted to win a championship when he got to Toronto and "make history." "Make history" was the phrase he chose.

What could be more historical than a "threepeat" in a country outside of the United States? How often do threepeats occur in NBA history? Four teams. The Minneapolis Lakers, the Celtics, the Bulls and then the LA Lakers. If the Raptors pulled it off, how long until another non-US team could do it? That's what I'm talking about. Sources close to Kawhi's people say that when Kawhi says he wants to make history, this is exactly what he is talking about.

His scheduled meeting with the Lakers is to explain this to them. His people are set to advise the Lakers management, and Magic Johnson, that he will be available in the 2022-23 season, if LeBron agrees to accept a role players position on the bench. Signing a 2+1 with the Raptors allows him to accomplish his goal while still being available when KD is healthy enough to actually help a team. The Lakers must agree to tank over the next two seasons to accumulate good draft picks so that Kawhi, KD, AD and an aging Lebron can complete a new Lakers threepeat with superstars and young talent. Kawhi's goal is to match Bill Russells 11 championships and then retire and wrestle the right to hand out the Finals MVP trophy away from Bill, making history once again.

You heard it here first.

Comment

• This was from yesterday but Chris Hayes is a level headed guy that brought some good things to the clown show table (start at 6 minutes mark).

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

His scheduled meeting with the Lakers is to explain this to them. His people are set to advise the Lakers management, and Magic Johnson, that he will be available in the 2022-23 season, if LeBron agrees to accept a role players position on the bench. Signing a 2+1 with the Raptors allows him to accomplish his goal while still being available when KD is healthy enough to actually help a team. The Lakers must agree to tank over the next two seasons to accumulate good draft picks so that Kawhi, KD, AD and an aging Lebron can complete a new Lakers threepeat with superstars and young talent. Kawhi's goal is to match Bill Russells 11 championships and then retire and wrestle the right to hand out the Finals MVP trophy away from Bill, making history once again.

You heard it here first.
        This would sure help the Pelicans...

11 titles. That's never going to happen either. This is wild stuff.

Comment

• Not to denigrate Bill Russell's achievements (11 NBA titles) but .... the talent on the Celtics was a bit skewed.

When Bill Russell, whom I greatly respect, was playing in the NBA, there were between 8–14 teams. The Boston Celtics got the lion's share of the talent and Russell played with more fellow hall of famers than any other player of his caliber at the time

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            Not to denigrate Bill Russell's achievements (11 NBA titles) but .... the talent on the Celtics was a bit skewed.

"When Bill Russell, whom I greatly respect, was playing in the NBA, there were between 8–14 teams. The Boston Celtics got the lion's share of the talent and Russell played with more fellow hall of famers than any other player of his caliber at the time."
            That's called playing smart. And don't worry. At this point, it is pretty impossible to denigrate Bill Russell's achievements. Any criticism of Russell's achievements just sounds like revisionist history. :-)

Comment

• Been trying to keep up with some of the Kawhi rumours in the last 24 hours or so.

- So Lebron has basically texted with Kawhi every day basically since the ASG or something. They even put up a Kawhi mural up with a Laker jersey on. Geez. The Lakers have less than a true max available (albeit just a million or so over an entire contract length).
              - Read that Kawhi is concerned about load management with the Lakers and Simmons (his close friend from SA) warned him about Vogel (who he played with in Orlando) potentially overplaying his guys. Don't see the Lakers happening. Plus LA seems to be in on every free agent out there. They seem desperate. Hope they fail lol.

- Clippers have been quiet.. yet still have the max slots free. They have to do something about Gallo though to get that second max slot. Kawhi wants to be paired with another star. Not many left. Rumours are KD going to a NY team and Butler wanting to go to Miami. LAC trying to get both Butler and Kawhi. I think LAC also fails.

- As for KD yeah I guess Kawhi talked to KD too and wants to play together "some day". But KD is out for more than a year. So is Kawhi going to go to a NY team for a year with nobody else and just wait for KD? I doubt it. If KD stays in GSW (and they offered him a 5 year max) than I guess they can play together on an ASG or something.

- Watched a Masai interview he had.. and he touched on Kawhi. Masai said most players have 100's of questions, but Kawhi only had 2. Is Masai staying in Toronto.. and how is the team going to get better. Softball questions for our boss man. You can watch the interview here:
              https://www.givemesport.com/1486652-...nt-masai-ujiri

The Kawhi statement comes near the end (about the 19min mark).

Right now I feel pretty confident that Kawhi will be back despite what guys like Woj and Broussard may be spewing.

We probably won't find out until mid week (my guess is July 3rd or 4th).

Comment

• NBAtv reporting "sources" that KD will announce the Nets as his preference

Comment

• Thought KD wanted to play with Kawhi LOL

Comment

• hopefully this dude is full of it as usual

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

hopefully this dude is full of it as usual
                      Dude has ZERO credibility

Comment

• Clolippers. They tried to do everything right, but people still rather play for the more prestigious franchise. Still hopeful we get to keep him.

Comment

• Just want to say. I appreciate you Kawhi. You brought us a championship and put in work this season. You're in Raptors record books forever.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Am I the only one who thinks he will be back, f@# the american media, f#@$ the lakers and f#$@ clippers, wtf raps won the championship and his gonna leave, go 2 lebron b his b$#@%, u would a nobody there and as for clippers, wtf have they done, how long have they had franchise and cant even get thruogh second rd, they'll always b lakers side kick..their sharing the same arena. In T.O, canada..in the world ure a GOD. Go Raptors...
                            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                              Am I the only one who thinks he will be back, f@# the american media, f#@$ the lakers and f#$@ clippers, wtf raps won the championship and his gonna leave, go 2 lebron b his b$#@%, u would a nobody there and as for clippers, wtf have they done, how long have they had franchise and cant even get thruogh second rd, they'll always b lakers side kick..their sharing the same arena. In T.O, canada..in the world ure a GOD. Go Raptors...
                              I'm pretty sure New Balance wants him here rather than as a lesser light on the Lakers or as the star player on a Clippers franchise that will always be the also-ran franchise in LA. New Balance has totally found the key to Kawhi's marketability, and I think in the end that combined with the max contract advantage we have will put Uncle Dennis firmly on our side from the dollars and cents perspective. Because of that, Toronto is still the front-runner, I think, although things are still really in flux.

Comment

• Would be interesting to revisit that reddit post if this comes to pass. Hopefully not.

Comment

Working...
                                X