Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nilanka wrote: View Post
    IMO, last year's playoff Jonas was an anomaly. I don't expect to see that again.

    Overall, Jonas is a solid player, but he isn't cut out for Casey's guard-heavy system. The more I watch this team, the more I'm convinced that moving Jonas is the only way we upgrade our PF.
    I disagree that it was an anomaly. An anomaly is Biz being the hero of a single, crucial game. What Jonas did was consistent with the entire playoffs.

    He might be the key player in a trade which is clearly required to get past the Cav's though. Honestly, though if that trade doesn't get us a player which can slow down LeBron, it might just be better to be happy with a good team. JV and Carroll for Paul George and a back up big?

    Comment


    • LJ2 wrote: View Post
      I disagree that it was an anomaly. An anomaly is Biz being the hero of a single, crucial game. What Jonas did was consistent with the entire playoffs.

      He might be the key player in a trade which is clearly required to get past the Cav's though. Honestly, though if that trade doesn't get us a player which can slow down LeBron, it might just be better to be happy with a good team. JV and Carroll for Paul George and a back up big?
      His playoff performance seemed so unsustainable. He was playing like a man possessed. Something we've never seen before, and have never seen since.

      Comment


      • McRealistic wrote: View Post
        So you think he can have shitty games like this and suddenly turn it around and become a monster in Play offs ???
        Where is the logic in that ??

        Don't lie to yourself, JV is struggeling and if he does not figure it out soon, he will struggle in the playoffs and so will Raptors.
        Soon? Are you new to the nba? It's barely December. The guy just rolled his ankle a week ago, and here come the vultures. I'd be just as worried about our big 2, who have a track record of playing like all stars thru the all star break, then go into the shitter for the playoffs. Jvs not really a convern, he's a screen setting rebounder who's asked to hit 3 out of 5 shots, and he'll get back to that
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

        Comment


        • Nilanka wrote: View Post
          His playoff performance seemed so unsustainable. He was playing like a man possessed. Something we've never seen before, and have never seen since.
          The playoffs were a perfect storm for his performance. Opposing teams were focused on Lowry and DeRozan and the two of them were playing like crap. Someone was going to get more opportunity because of it. I don't see why he wouldn't put up those numbers again if given the chance. Though I don't personally think that him getting big numbers will get you past the top teams of the league.

          Comment


          • I can't remeber the last time JV had a good game against the Cavs.

            Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            @Chr1st1anL

            Comment


            • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              I can't remeber the last time JV had a good game against the Cavs.

              Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
              November 15th. 14/9 on 56% shooting in 34+ minutes.

              He also dominated the glass with 17 rebounds in their first meeting this year.

              Comment


              • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                I can't remeber the last time JV had a good game against the Cavs.

                Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                Um... Few weeks ago?

                Comment


                • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  His playoff performance seemed so unsustainable. He was playing like a man possessed. Something we've never seen before, and have never seen since.
                  He looked possessed vs Detroit in gm 1. They stopped giving him the ball since then. Some argue to give him the ball again and this maybe correct. I argue that it doesn't look in the game plan and he has to play defense regardless.

                  Comment


                  • lewro wrote: View Post
                    He looked possessed vs Detroit in gm 1. They stopped giving him the ball since then. Some argue to give him the ball again and this maybe correct. I argue that it doesn't look in the game plan and he has to play defense regardless.
                    You're right, he did have a strong opening night.

                    I'm not knocking Jonas. He's a solid player, who is still relatively young. He'll be a great player one day, but I'm convinced it won't be in Toronto. His skills aren't best utilized within a DeRozan/Lowry playbook.

                    Comment


                    • It's just really hard to be able to play JV against the 2 top teams in the NBA (Cavs & Warriors). Even in the Nov 15 game when he had solid offensive stats he was terrible on defense because he just can't match-up against their bigs (Frye & TT went off against him). He can't guard any big that can shoot 3's and thompson is much faster than him on the pick and roll. And against the warriors you can only play him when Zaza or Javale are on the floor which is only about 20 mins.

                      Comment


                      • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        You're right, he did have a strong opening night.

                        I'm not knocking Jonas. He's a solid player, who is still relatively young. He'll be a great player one day, but I'm convinced it won't be in Toronto. His skills aren't best utilized within a DeRozan/Lowry playbook.
                        Talent trumps all. Finding a lesser player to fit the "derozan/lowry playbook" is too shortsighted. There's a very small handful of players that you build your whole roster around accommodating them, at we don't have any of those players.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Talent trumps all. Finding a lesser player to fit the "derozan/lowry playbook" is too shortsighted. There's a very small handful of players that you build your whole roster around accommodating them, at we don't have any of those players.
                          Why does it have to be a lesser player?

                          Imagine Lowry/DeRozan running PNRs with a Myles Turner (for example) instead of Jonas.
                          Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Dec 6th, 2016, 02:11 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Why does it have to be a lesser player?

                            Imagine Lowry/DeRozan running PNRs with a Myles Turner (for example) instead of Jonas.
                            Well, myles turner doesn't rebound as well as jv, doesn't set screens nearly as well, and even if he did, derozan doesnt hit the roll man. So it's really 6 of one, half dozen if the other. Actually it's not, it's a lateral move for arguably the 4th best team in the nba, I'd be hesitant to rock the boat.
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Well, myles turner doesn't rebound as well as jv, doesn't set screens nearly as well, and even if he did, derozan doesnt hit the roll man. So it's really 6 of one, half dozen if the other. Actually it's not, it's a lateral move for arguably the 4th best team in the nba, I'd be hesitant to rock the boat.
                              Turner was just an example.

                              But the bolded is a different reason altogether, that could be used against the idea of any trade.

                              EDIT: I won't argue against the Raps being the 4th best team. But I'm certain 4th best will be our ceiling unless we change the roster.
                              Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Dec 6th, 2016, 02:23 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Turner was just an example.

                                But the bolded is a different reason altogether, that could be used against the idea of any trade.
                                Unless that trade gets any 3rd all star..Cousins, Millsap, or in a dream world, Paul george. I think you flip the boat over at that point
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X