No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tell you what ... I was one of the biggest Shapiro/Atkins critics out there when they first came on board ... but I'll be damned if they haven't done something pretty special here. This is a team that can compete now, and for years to come .. they did exactly what they said they were going to do. If we can get one more Ace level arm, we're right there with the best of them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Heard this Springer guy is pretty good. Big get for the Jays. Hope it works out for them.
      He was MVP level just a couple years back, and having a better season than Trout, but then went down with an injury.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        I tell you what ... I was one of the biggest Shapiro/Atkins critics out there when they first came on board ... but I'll be damned if they haven't done something pretty special here. This is a team that can compete now, and for years to come .. they did exactly what they said they were going to do. If we can get one more Ace level arm, we're right there with the best of them.
        There is some smoke around the Jays and Cubs.
        Cubs have Kris Bryant at third they are looking to move and have Kyle Hendricks who could slot into the starting rotation at 2 or 3. He isn’t Bauer but he is a top end of the rotation SP and he has some time left on his contract.
        This wont come cheap. Cubs will want a few of our best pitching prospects and perhaps one of of Guriel or Teoscar.

Or maybe they just sign one of Odirizzi or Paxton and wait till the trade deadline to make another move.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 24, 2021, 09:01 PM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

There is some smoke around the Jays and Cubs.
          Cubs have Kris Bryant at third they are looking to move and have Kyle Hendricks who could slot into the starting rotation at 2 or 3. He isn’t Bauer but he is a top end of the rotation SP and he has some time left on his contract.
          This wont come cheap. Cubs will want a few of our best pitching prospects and perhaps one of of Guriel or Teoscar.

Or maybe they just sign one of Odirizzi or Paxton and wait till the trade deadline to make another move.
          I'd be very surprised to see Shapiro make a move for both Bryant and Hendricks, knowing what the Cubs would want for that return. That more seems like an AA type move, y'know? Lol We shouldn't be making "win now" moves, in my opinion. We've got plenty of time with these youngsters, and those pitching prospects will be coming along at the exact right time to align with the majority of our young roster.

But if we do that, we are instantly in the Top-3 odds for WS.
          Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 24, 2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I'd be very surprised to see Shapiro make a move for both Bryant and Hendricks, knowing what the Cubs would want for that return. That more seems like an AA type move, y'know? Lol We shouldn't be making "win now" moves, in my opinion. We've got plenty of time with these youngsters, and those pitching prospects will be coming along at the exact right time to align with the majority of our young roster.

But if we do that, we are instantly in the Top-3 odds for WS.
            Precisely the reason to do it for me.
            Springer on the surface of it is a win now move. Getting Hendricks would give us pitching depth for three years. Bryant I think we could get out from nderneath of as his control period is ending in a year or two.
            Shatkins moves are glacial at best...it’s just smoke for now..but the Cubs are starting over and by the time they are ready both Bryant and Hendrickswill have moved on...

- TGO

Comment

• And we sign Wayne Semien...1 yr deal....
              He can play 2nd or 3rd ....
              So the Kris Bryant stuff probably ends....

Still need one more SP...

Us and the White Sox got a lot better in the AL.......not seeing who else did ?

We got a shot this year...
              Remember a couple seasons ago once you got past the 5th spot in the order there was nuthin.
              1. CF George Springer
              2. 2B Marcus Semien
              3. SS Bo Bichette
              4. 3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr./ Cavan Biggio
              5. DH Teoscar Hernandez
              6. 1B Rowdy Tellez/ Vladdy
              7. LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
              8. RF Randal Grichuk
              9. C Alejandro Kirk
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jan 27, 2021, 01:09 AM.
              - TGO

Comment

And we sign Wayne Semien...1 yr deal....
                He can play 2nd or 3rd ....
                So the Kris Bryant stuff probably ends....

Still need one more SP...

Us and the White Sox got a lot better in the AL.......not seeing who else did ?

We got a shot this year...
                Remember a couple seasons ago once you got past the 5th spot in the order there was nuthin.
                1. CF George Springer
                2. 2B Marcus Semien
                3. SS Bo Bichette
                4. 3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr./ Cavan Biggio
                5. DH Teoscar Hernandez
                6. 1B Rowdy Tellez/ Vladdy
                7. LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
                8. RF Randal Grichuk
                9. C Alejandro Kirk
                Looking forward to the season. Hope we get that SP and we'll be rollin'!

Only thing we need now is games in The Dome and fans in the stands! I haven't been to a game in a few years now... dying to get there again on a nice hot July day with the roof open.

Comment

• Steven Matz.... No idea. You need starter depth so maybe thats what he has been acquired for.
                  Reid-Foly is likely our Matz going back the other way.. promise but no success so far.

About a month till pitchers and catchers report.... They might be done till camp opens. You can wait in baseball.
                  Offseason you add guys you have a plan to get... .. Next two months you see what you have in camp and for real for 30-50 games...Then you make any upgrades you think will make you better before the trade deadline if you think you have a chance. Then you play baseball. Hopefully to October.

I like this team. They can swing the bats and they got speed and swagger..
                  - TGO

Comment

• Matz from the Mets ... thats fun to say. He had a pretty shit year last year, but he's got decent stuff and I think he got hurt. Pete Walker has a great track record of turning guys like Matz into studs, so I'm optimistic. But still say another rocket out there is needed.

Comment

• Pitchers and Catchers report today !!
                      Seems ironic as the country sits in the deep freeze but it is a cause for hope that a return to the non covid obsession is in sight. .

This sunshine ray of seasonality is great as for me as it mutes the doomsayers.

Play Ball.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Feb 19, 2021, 12:22 AM.
                      - TGO

Comment

• George Springer is in camp.

Alex Manoah the second of the two pitching phenoms is there.
                        Wonder who comes out of nowhere to snag a pitching spot ?

- TGO

Comment

• 40 pounds lighter....
                          Vladdy....
                          Yeah baby.

- TGO

Comment

• Jays have the makings of a good year....
                            Charlie Montoya is however , in way over his head.
                            He could manage himself out of a job this year.
                            - TGO

Comment

Jays have the makings of a good year....
                              Charlie Montoya is however , in way over his head.
                              He could manage himself out of a job this year.
                              Montoya? Dude, it's the starting pitching. Blame Atkins and Shapiro.

When every other day is TBD or Pray for Rain, you aren't winning anything. The bullpen is already at the breaking point and they've played 45 games. They needed another quality starter in the offseason and didn't get one. So, now, you've got Ryu and then you're throwing 4 below average pitchers out there hoping they don't lose you the game in the first 4 innings. Like, most of these guys can't even get through 5 innings and it's the manager's fault that his bullpen is collapsing? Nah.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Montoya? Dude, it's the starting pitching. Blame Atkins and Shapiro.

When every other day is TBD or Pray for Rain, you aren't winning anything. The bullpen is already at the breaking point and they've played 45 games. They needed another quality starter in the offseason and didn't get one. So, now, you've got Ryu and then you're throwing 4 below average pitchers out there hoping they don't lose you the game in the first 4 innings. Like, most of these guys can't even get through 5 innings and it's the manager's fault that his bullpen is collapsing? Nah.
                                Charlie is in over his head.
                                Nice guy... but in over his head.

Injuries have hurt the bullpen and some SP..
                                I can live with that...

I can't live with losing games when you don't take your best shot with your best guys...
                                Shades of the self procalaimed smartest man in baseball .. Buck Showalter ... keeping his best reliever on the bench or pulling your best guy out of the game when he hadn't lost it..
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X