Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

I believe your inflating your numbers Rudy.
    AND
    You get what you pay for.
    235 is 20% bigger than 190.
    960 is 20% bigger than 800.

the salary and tax associated with a $10 million contract is 20% of the total payroll and taxes.

Again, it’s not my money. But I think we should expect them to look for areas to save money on role players.

Comment

• One more time boys & girls .... the view from the other side...

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

What? No, this is me hoping within reason rather than blindly saying "spend all the moneys!"

As a completely biased fan who cares not for the bottom line, I hope they spend way too much and I get to watch the best team possible.

As a reasonable person, when setting my expectations for this summer, I take into account the realities of the situation and frame my expectations as appropriate - that is, I understand that my totally biased fan ideal scenario simply will not come to pass.

It's the same reason why I told people Bismack Biyombo would quite simply not be re-signing in summer 2016. Sure, we can all say "do it" but various realities prevent it. The realities now are taxes and not cap rules, but the reality is much the same. It ain't happening.
        Love the use of the word reasonable when making your case. I used it all the time when I was trying to get something for nothing in negotiations.
        Its a reasonable offer. I'm being reasonable here. That and a buck 80 gets you a medium at Tims. It doesn't matter what you would do. It matters what Larry T and Cope are willing to do. They like winning more than saving money. Its in their DNA.

So far they have paid every single dime that is recommended by their GM and President. With a highly successful record and a championship to show for his efforts along with a fairly big chunk of unanticipated ancillary revenue from winning that championship with the cast on hand staring them in the face I suspect the boys go with what Ujiri thinks is best.

Ujiri has shown a proclivity to stick with "his guys" . Why would he derivate from that path now especially after winning formula to save money that the company has and has shown no reticence to stop spending. If he thinks he can replace Norm with the same output that Norm gives for less money then he does it. I don't think he is hunting on the FA market for a guy for 1M$ to replace him . Do you ?

Dumping a Biyombo or a Carroll to save money on a team that wasn't close to winning it all is materially different than dumping Norm after a championship. Why not dump Fred too. He makes 10.. They'd save even more money.

Its not about the money now. Its about winning.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

the salary and tax associated with a $10 million contract is 20% of the total payroll and taxes.

Again, it’s not my money. But I think we should expect them to look for areas to save money on role players.
          I think your start point of 230 is inflated. I think the overall salary line is around 200-210.
          - TGO

Comment

• Man we’re spoiled this is a lot better than debating whether Landry Fields should get minutes over John Salmons in the playoffs.

Edit—not spoiled at all. We deserve this lol

Comment

• Let's see if they can re-sign Kawhi before talking about going into tax.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Even the mighty warriors of silicon valley started shedding talent. Harrison barnes was a casualty, I dont remember the Bogut circumstances but he was never full replaced..same with Barbosa.. etc

what golden state did was decide they had the core 5 and also kept Livingston and the bench stable, and filled the fringes with cheap vets and a great ability to bring in rookies with later picks

norm is no different to the Barbosas and barnes'. You could deduce that he is replaceable for a championship drive. You might as well do it well his value is high, because theres more cap fun to come when siakam and OG need extensions
                and yet they replaced barnes with durant and an even bigger tax bill.... no ?
                - TGO

Comment

I think your start point of 230 is inflated. I think the overall salary line is around 200-210.
                  You think that? Or you've actually checked and done the math? Some of us have done the latter and so we know the salary and tax is 190 if Kawhi re-signs and Danny walks, and if Danny get a 10M contract too, it jumps to 235M.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

and yet they replaced barnes with durant and an even bigger tax bill.... no ?
                    They replaced Barnes with Durant and paid no tax at all, they needed cap space for Durant. In fact, Durant has again and again taken less than his max to save that team tax so they wouldn't be forced to shed even more role players to duck those tax bills.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Did you not follow the team this year? Do you not remember the pile of small town cheap moves they made at the deadline? They shed like 20M in taxes by dumping minimum salaries and signing rest-of-season contracts, and they paid a few picks to do it. They even got Gasol to waive his trade bonus to reduce the tax hit of that deal.

Now I'm having a hard time remembering if that small town cheap team found any success in the playoffs this year... Just, can't recall.
                      Ancillary revenue from that run more than offsets any taxes paid...
                      Gasol waiving his bonus...
                      There is no difference between the last 5 on the bench they had going in and the last 5 that got to cheer and wave towels for the playoff run.
                      There is a differnce between a Norm or a Fred and the replacement. It costs what it costs.
                      - TGO

Comment

We expect different things.
                        - TGO

Comment

Love the use of the word reasonable when making your case. I used it all the time when I was trying to get something for nothing in negotiations.
                          Its a reasonable offer. I'm being reasonable here. That and a buck 80 gets you a medium at Tims. It doesn't matter what you would do. It matters what Larry T and Cope are willing to do. They like winning more than saving money. Its in their DNA.

So far they have paid every single dime that is recommended by their GM and President. With a highly successful record and a championship to show for his efforts along with a fairly big chunk of unanticipated ancillary revenue from winning that championship with the cast on hand staring them in the face I suspect the boys go with what Ujiri thinks is best.

Ujiri has shown a proclivity to stick with "his guys" . Why would he derivate from that path now especially after winning formula to save money that the company has and has shown no reticence to stop spending. If he thinks he can replace Norm with the same output that Norm gives for less money then he does it. I don't think he is hunting on the FA market for a guy for 1M$ to replace him . Do you ?

Dumping a Biyombo or a Carroll to save money on a team that wasn't close to winning it all is materially different than dumping Norm after a championship. Why not dump Fred too. He makes 10.. They'd save even more money.

Its not about the money now. Its about winning.
                          Again. They made a bunch of moves trading picks to save money literally this season. The most recent February. Like, 4 months ago. Was the season not about winning then?

Why not dump Fred, too? Because that would be stupid. They should keep the players they think are worth keeping. If they trade Norm to keep Danny, that's a trade I would make. If Danny walks, no need to trade Norm, because as we've outlined the 190M tax bill is a reasonable increase from last year based on their post-season success.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Man we’re spoiled this is a lot better than debating whether Landry Fields should get minutes over John Salmons in the playoffs.

Edit—not spoiled at all. We deserve this lol
                            We do.... A settling of accounts will happen in 2020 when most of the teams contracts expire. Its a one year bet. Its not a sunken recurring expense in perpetuity.

- TGO

Comment

You think that? Or you've actually checked and done the math? Some of us have done the latter and so we know the salary and tax is 190 if Kawhi re-signs and Danny walks, and if Danny get a 10M contract too, it jumps to 235M.
                              You live for math so your likely right at 235.
                              So what ?
                              Thats what it costs to put a team on the floor to defend a championship.
                              You could of course cut Danny or Norm or Freddy and lessen your chances to win and to save money.
                              Is that the message you want to send to the other players....? You want Leonard to think the team will cheap out and not give it the best chance to win ?
                              Ujiri manages and owns the full P&L... sometimes Dan you have to spend money to make money.
                              Saving your way to prosperity has a low success rate.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 24, 2019, 08:08 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Let's see if they can re-sign Kawhi before talking about going into tax.

He Stay!
                                Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Jun 24, 2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X