Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Draft 2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There are probably less than 5 shooting guards in the world you should want to build a team around. There are a ton of really great guys that can put up good numbers and even take over games sometimes, but then you're only talking about guys only marginally better than a Norm or a Gary or an MLE-calibre shooting guard.

    I like the idea of stocking up on great wing players and we could use a scorer, but looking for a "1A" guy that is also a shooting guard seems a little whacky to me. Can these guys come in and be a solid 6th man off the bat? That's something that can be built around (ie into a starter).
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon May 10, 2021, 04:58 PM.

    Comment


    • The Great One wrote: View Post

      1. Barnes is not really athletic. He moves a lot like OG - very awkward.

      2. If you're drafting in the top 10 you better draft a starter and not a backup.

      3. The Raptors don't have a starting caliber 2 guard. There's a lot of them in this draft.
      I don't disagree, but just like the Warriors this year with Wiseman, we will have the talent to slot whoever we pick onto the bench if the transition into the NBA is too much or the Rookie Wall happens.

      Unlike most teams that pick high in the lottery, The Raps have a much more capable team, that was handed a shitty hand this year, hence the high pick.

      If we strike it rich and get Green, I could totally see Trent getting the starting job day one. Make the youngster earn it. If he truly is an Alpha, that will motivate him to be the best 2 we have, and moving Trent in to a 6 man/small ball 3 roll.

      We have the luxury to ease any draft pick into the NBA game. Wether it's pick 3 or pick 33. I feel like a lot of high picks in years past, get thrown into the deep end too early and their development gets slowed down because of it. That's why the current situation we find ourselves in, is so appealing. We don't really suck, but our record sure does.

      Comment


      • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        There are less than 5 shooting guards in the world you should want to build a team around. There are a ton of really great guys that can put up good numbers and even take over games sometimes, but then you're only talking about guys only marginally better than a Norm or a Gary.

        I like the idea of stocking up on great wing players and we could use a scorer, but looking for a "1A" guy that is also a shooting guard seems a little whacky to me.
        Well the team values 2-way players.. mostly defensive players. Even Bruno was touted as a defensive player. So a shooting guard that only scores is not something this team values for better or for worse.

        So we probably will be looking at guys like Mobley, Barnes, Johnson, Moody or Mitchell and not guys like Green, Kispert or Sengun.

        If we get #2, and Cade is off the board, I'd be very surprised if we took Green and not Mobley even though I'd personally prefer Green.

        Comment


        • More and more I like Jaden Springer. 6'4 point guard. Good defender, Excellent effiency. Suuuuper young
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

          Comment


          • Shredder wrote: View Post

            I don't disagree, but just like the Warriors this year with Wiseman, we will have the talent to slot whoever we pick onto the bench if the transition into the NBA is too much or the Rookie Wall happens.

            Unlike most teams that pick high in the lottery, The Raps have a much more capable team, that was handed a shitty hand this year, hence the high pick.

            If we strike it rich and get Green, I could totally see Trent getting the starting job day one. Make the youngster earn it. If he truly is an Alpha, that will motivate him to be the best 2 we have, and moving Trent in to a 6 man/small ball 3 roll.

            We have the luxury to ease any draft pick into the NBA game. Wether it's pick 3 or pick 33. I feel like a lot of high picks in years past, get thrown into the deep end too early and their development gets slowed down because of it. That's why the current situation we find ourselves in, is so appealing. We don't really suck, but our record sure does.
            no question that yes if you draft top 10 that person better be a damn starter.. maybe not RIGHT AWAY because how many rookies are truly impactful at an NBA level in their first year? not many. Lebron maybe.... Zion maybe but even then not enough. Even Jordan lol. But within a 2 season span that player should be able to play meaningful minutes and play at least 20 minutes in the playoffs and ideally it should be starter minutes.

            Comment


            • The Great One wrote: View Post

              I trust Masai and Bobby but Jalen Johnson has so many red flags. I say pass. Also not sure about Barnes, he's a point forward, do we really need another one? we already have Siakam.

              I like Keon, Moody and Mitchell(in that order). I also like Springer but not sure if they have the balls to draft him 7th overall.
              can OG play SG

              Comment


              • magoon wrote: View Post

                Literally the entire point of trading for GTJ was that they consider him a starting caliber 2 guard.
                I agree but if you get a chance to draft... lets say...... CADE or GREEN or SUGGS you take em. and see what happens from there.

                Comment


                • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Unless we move up, I think it's starting to look like we'll be left one or two of Barnes, Jalen Johnson, and Keon Johnson to pick from - the next three "highest potential" but each with some question marks. Will be interesting to see if Masai/Webster like that direction or go a different one.

                  If we're at #8 and Jalen Johnson is there and Barnes and Keon are gone 6 and 7...what do you do?
                  Giddey

                  Comment


                  • MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    More and more I like Jaden Springer. 6'4 point guard. Good defender, Excellent effiency. Suuuuper young
                    Reminds me of a more physical Jamal Murray, with (a lot) more defense and a bit less offense.

                    Comment


                    • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                      I agree but if you get a chance to draft... lets say...... CADE or GREEN or SUGGS you take em. and see what happens from there.
                      1. We've had this discussion before in the thread, but Evan Mobley is right there at the Raptors' weakest position and is as good or better than all three of those guys.

                      2. If the choice is "draft at a high pick without getting Mobley or Cade" or "trade a top-four pick that isn't Mobley or Cade down a bit to get multiple first-rounders including at least one pick at, oh, let's say #7 or better", I'd go second scenario.

                      You might be able to sell me on Suggs; I don't think you can sell me on Green. Everybody excited for him is acting like he's the second coming of Kobe, and I just see a streaky-but-good scoring guard who doesn't play defense and doesn't look to be able to become a good defender.

                      Comment


                      • magoon wrote: View Post

                        1. We've had this discussion before in the thread, but Evan Mobley is right there at the Raptors' weakest position and is as good or better than all three of those guys.

                        2. If the choice is "draft at a high pick without getting Mobley or Cade" or "trade a top-four pick that isn't Mobley or Cade down a bit to get multiple first-rounders including at least one pick at, oh, let's say #7 or better", I'd go second scenario.

                        You might be able to sell me on Suggs; I don't think you can sell me on Green. Everybody excited for him is acting like he's the second coming of Kobe, and I just see a streaky-but-good scoring guard who doesn't play defense and doesn't look to be able to become a good defender.
                        Raptors weakest position isn’t center. It’s clutch-time scorer. Mobley won’t help that.

                        Comment


                        • golden wrote: View Post

                          Raptors weakest position isn’t center. It’s clutch-time scorer. Mobley won’t help that.
                          I honestly think we're screwed if the game plan is to get our clutch time scorer from the draft. Maybe in a few years they could develop into that but basically no one goes from the draft to being a clutch time NBA scorer.

                          Comment


                          • If the Raptors, with a lot of luck pick, 2nd and they have the choice between Mobley and Green, I think you go Green. Raptors need that dynamic scorer at the wing, it would fit perfectly with how the current roster is.

                            Raptors are weak at Center, but in today's NBA you can plug in any high energy big and get away with it. Birch isn't a great big man, but statistically Raptors are a lot better with him than they were with Baynes.

                            Comment


                            • A.I wrote: View Post
                              If the Raptors, with a lot of luck pick, 2nd and they have the choice between Mobley and Green, I think you go Green. Raptors need that dynamic scorer at the wing, it would fit perfectly with how the current roster is.

                              Raptors are weak at Center, but in today's NBA you can plug in any high energy big and get away with it. Birch isn't a great big man, but statistically Raptors are a lot better with him than they were with Baynes.
                              On the other hand if Mobley is going to be a consistent scoring threat then you have 5 starters that need to be guarded AND there are no weak defenders that can be exploited. Green would be a bigger scoring threat but teams will go at him unless he puts effort into defending. Man I'm glad I Masi is the guy making these decisions.

                              Comment


                              • I think you can get a good starting 5 anywhere in the draft (Gobert late 20's. Jokic 41, Capella 25, Turner 11th, Bam 14, Mitchell Robinson 36th, Vucevic 16, Christian Wood undrafted, Jarrett Allen 22 to name a few). Perimeter players drive the league right now, I would use my high draft picks on shot creators. At 2 I would take Green or Suggs, no question. Bust potential for Mobley is too great.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X