Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

Lewenberg and Grange have been hinting at the Raps being patient for weeks.

Given the track record of this front office, the idea that they are going to blow things up after a bad half season is far more unlikely than that they make a few tweaks and try to improve for next season. It's the fans and certain media that are talking about major changes but the front office hasn't suggested anything of the sort.

The Raps aren't likely to be traditional sellers moving win-now players for magic beans. If they do, it would be a radical departure from the way this FO has operated since it's been in charge. So people wanting/expecting that should temper their expectations.
    If you hear about it, it's not happening with the Raptors, we all know this.
    So Masai is trading everyone confirmed.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

If you hear about it, it's not happening with the Raptors, we all know this.
      So Masai is trading everyone confirmed.
      one thing we know is they never rush trades... sometimes it comes to bite them in the behind but also it likely keeps them out of trouble too.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

one thing we know is they never rush trades... sometimes it comes to bite them in the behind but also it likely keeps them out of trouble too.
        To be clear, I'm not expecting an impactful (big) trade. We MAY be debating whether we got a good return for GTJr.
        If that doesn't happen, I bet we see a fringe move for optics.

* I know someone will immedately say Masai doesn't do things for optics. and then he will and someone will immediately say, "that's not optics, slug player X has value and makes us better"

Comment

To be clear, I'm not expecting an impactful (big) trade. We MAY be debating whether we got a good return for GTJr.
          If that doesn't happen, I bet we see a fringe move for optics.

* I know someone will immedately say Masai doesn't do things for optics. and then he will and someone will immediately say, "that's not optics, slug player X has value and makes us better"
          i'd be happy with a minimum of a first round pick from the 2023 draft

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Last summer I said I wasnt sure about the internal growth idea and was worried about the teams behind us growing faster and you said this isnt some poorly managed franchise we should be top 4. Now you say we completely suck its ok just wait until barnes turns into a top 10. One guy wont save us even IF he became a top 10. By then he’d need a whole new team to play with anyway
            I said we've completely sucked for half a season. That's not the same as saying we suck or are a poorly managed franchise. Sometimes shit happens and for whatever reason the team hasn't had a good going. Would it surprise you if they got their shit together, made the playoffs or won a round this season? I wouldn't be.

When I say it all rests on Scotties shoulders I'm referring to the teams ability to contend for a title. We can still be a good team with Scottie as 2nd or 3rd best player, but to contend for a title I think he's going to have to become that top 10 type of player.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I said we've completely sucked for half a season. That's not the same as saying we suck or are a poorly managed franchise. Sometimes shit happens and for whatever reason the team hasn't had a good going. Would it surprise you if they got their shit together, made the playoffs or won a round this season? I wouldn't be.

When I say it all rests on Scotties shoulders I'm referring to the teams ability to contend for a title. We can still be a good team with Scottie as 2nd or 3rd best player, but to contend for a title I think he's going to have to become that top 10 type of player.
              We have different perspectives obviously. Before the completely suck time Id say we sucked since the boston series.

playoffs no. winning a round ya id be very surprised. Scoring drought teams dont fare well in a 7 game series - and the scoring droughts have been regular since the Boston series its not new

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

We have different perspectives obviously. Before the completely suck time Id say we sucked since the boston series.

playoffs no. winning a round ya id be very surprised. Scoring drought teams dont fare well in a 7 game series - and the scoring droughts have been regular since the Boston series its not new
                Fair enough. Gut feeling is that Raps will be a better the second half of the season.

Comment

• If we’re certain he’ll leave in the summer (I have absolutely zero reason to truly believe that but let’s pretend), Dallas is a pretty good trade partner.

GTJ+Khem for Bertans+Powell and maybe a second rounder would work. They’d love GTJ and we get much needed shooting and a legit center.
                  Last edited by Bonus Jonas; Thu Jan 12, 2023, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                    If we’re certain he’ll leave in the summer (I have absolutely zero reason to truly believe that but let’s pretend), Dallas is a pretty good trade partner.

GTJ+Khem for Bert?ns+Powell and maybe a second rounder would work. They’d love GTJ and we get much needed shooting and a legit center.
                    Dallas has Dinwiddie and Hardaway Jr., so I wonder if they'd be interested in Gary. I think they'd love OG, but nobody available on that roster excites me all that much.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Dallas has Dinwiddie and Hardaway Jr., so I wonder if they'd be interested in Gary. I think they'd love OG, but nobody available on that roster excites me all that much.
                      GTJ is a clear upgrade on both and much younger

Comment

• So the idea is for a team that NEEDS shooters to trade away one of its best shooter

Comment

• The only way they trade Trent is to combine him with VanVleet in a bigger trade to acquire a star..that is a rarity.

Trading Trent alone is a lateral move, no team would give up a pick for this guy.

Trading VanVleet is to go younger by acquiring player/players that would align with Scottie’s timeline and a late round FRP would be a huge bonus to add to the team existing FRP (two FRPs is a big one for this upcoming draft)

both players have expiring contracts

one is 28-29 on a decline physically and in production at both ends

one is 24-25 young player that is developing with an unknown ceiling.

it is a choice

I go with the latter

or back to the first sentence if there is a rare opportunity then you include both

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                            The only way they trade Trent is to combine him with VanVleet in a bigger trade to acquire a star..that is a rarity.

Trading Trent alone is a lateral move, no team would give up a pick for this guy.

Trading VanVleet is to go younger by acquiring player/players that would align with Scottie’s timeline and a late round FRP would be a huge bonus to add to the team existing FRP (two FRPs is a big one for this upcoming draft)

it is a choice

I go with the latter

or back to the first sentence if there is a rare opportunity then you include both
                            Fred 29 next month
                            GTJr 24 next week .... gap is getting wider.

Comment

Fred 29 next month
                              GTJr 24 next week .... gap is getting wider.
                              But but….29 is the new 19 according to others….he has regenerative cells running through his veins so what do we know lol.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                                The only way they trade Trent is to combine him with VanVleet in a bigger trade to acquire a star..that is a rarity.

it is a choice

I go with the latter

I think there are instances that you trade both, but not necessarily to the same team. I think the question is does management think we are going to retool or rebuild.

If they think retool, then I think you're right, they package two really good players for a better player with a better fit.

If they think rebuild, then potentially they trade Trent for some young players and Fred for a younger player and a pick.

Say hypothetically
                                Trent to GS for Kuminga and Wiseman
                                Fred to Chicago for Williams, White and a pick.

Obviously there are hundreds of different scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                                X