Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

My favourite Greek god has long been Nemesis, the goddess of retribution. She certainly unleashed her wrath on the Raptors this year.
    It really was a sh*t sandwich, wasn’t it? Cherry on top was Jontay Porter, who could’ve signed with any team but now will forever be linked to Raptors and cheating.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

It really was a sh*t sandwich, wasn’t it? Cherry on top was Jontay Porter, who could’ve signed with any team but now will forever be linked to Raptors and cheating.
      Meh, I could care less about Porter. The biggest failure was the Siakam return, Fred walking for nothing, tanking only to lose the pick and Kuloko's health issue.

Not sure how everyone else ranks them but that was my order of worst to least worst. Jontay was a complete nothing burger for me.

Comment

Trade deadline 2022: Thad Young and swapped picks with the Spurs.

we ended up with a Relic in Thad and the 33th pick
        Spurs took Walker Kessler with their 20th pick

Ujiri is something else, collecting Relics then overpaying them/ 6’9” who can’t shoot and giving up draft capital

Jontay Porter and Koloko were the garnishes on the side.

The gifts kept on coming, tonight’s lottery result loss after a full tanked season was an Ujiri special

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          WhiteFlagg next season
          Wave it early. Wave it often.

Comment

Wave it early. Wave it often.
            Not happening UNLESS Barnes suffers another season ending injury.

Playoffs next year.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Not happening UNLESS Barnes suffers another season ending injury.

Playoffs next year.

Comment

• Speaking of tanking, the Pistons finished with the worst record in back to back years. They ended up picking 5th last year, they're picking 5th again this year. Lol.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                  Speaking of tanking, the Pistons finished with the worst record in back to back years. They ended up picking 5th last year, they're picking 5th again this year. Lol.
                  Yep, that's a factor. When they re-jigged the odds and it really makes you think twice about tanking your whole season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Do you think there would be an appetite or ability to trade Brown on draft night to move up in the draft? Is that likely at all?
                    Maybe? I suspect in terms of moving up, the only team that would make sense is someone like OKC, they have a lotto pick and could want to add a vet like Brown. But depends on their thinking coming out of the playoffs. More likely I think we could add a late pick, either this draft or next, by trading with a playoff team that came up a little short this year and thinks a vet like Brown is the missing piece, taking on a salary they find less useful in return.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Now that the lottery results are in, new mocks are popping up

ESPN 19 Kyle Filipowski, 31 Ryan Dunn
                      B/R 19 Kyle Filipowski, 31 Bobi Klintman
                      CBS 19 Devin Carter
                      Athletic 19 Yves Missi, 31 Ryan Dunn
                      Ringer 19 Isaiah Collier 31 Trentyn Flowers
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Taking both Missi and Dunn would be odd, both defenders with a lot of risk on the shooting side. Imagine they go for one (Dunn does seem like a no-brainer Raps pick), but in the 1st round try to get a guy with more offensive skill, ideally with two way upside.

Devin Carter slipping that far would be a nice get on that front. Filipowski has interesting upside in terms of frontcourt fit with Scottie, like that option.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          Now that the lottery results are in, new mocks are popping up

ESPN 19 Kyle Filipowski, 31 Ryan Dunn
                          B/R 19 Kyle Filipowski, 31 Bobi Klintman
                          CBS 19 Devin Carter
                          Athletic 19 Yves Missi, 31 Ryan Dunn
                          Ringer 19 Isaiah Collier 31 Trentyn Flowers
                          I'm not a draft guy, but I like the 2-way game & toughness of Devin Carter. Filipowski reminds me of Kelly Olynyk, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, drafting at 19. A stretch big is becoming more important these days, and fits best with Scottie.

Comment

• As a starting point for my research at 19, this seems like as good a spot to start as any - this is the current "consensus" mock draft that is collected from a bunch of mocks. Outlines the top 14 guys. Anybody outside of that top 14 should have a good chance of being there at 19. So.

https://www.nba.com/news/2024-consensus-mock-draft

1. Alexandre Sarr | Atlanta Hawks
                            2. Zaccharie Risacher | Washington Wizards
                            3. Nikola Topic | Houston Rockets
                            4. Reed Sheppard | San Antonio Spurs
                            5. Donovan Clingan | Detroit Pistons
                            6. Stephon Castle | Charlotte Hornets
                            7. Matas Buzelis | Portland Trail Blazers
                            8. Robert Dillingham | San Antonio Spurs
                            9. Ron Holland | Memphis Grizzlies
                            10. Dalton Knecht | Utah Jazz
                            11. Cody Williams | Chicago Bulls
                            12. Isaiah Collier | Oklahoma City Thunder
                            13. Ja’Kobe Walter | Sacramento Kings
                            14. Tidjane Salaun | Portland Trail Blazers

Any one of those guys slips and you assume it's a steal at 19. Although looking at the 11-14 guys: Cody is an interesting all-around wing, needs the shooting to pop but underlying numbers think he'll be OK there. Collier I'm cool on, seems like a poor decision maker for a guard. Like Walter a lot - 3+D upside if he puts on strength. Salaun is your swing for the fences unknown type, could be a star, could be nothing at all. Not sure they'd swing quite this hard on this pick. But if he's there at 19 I could see it.

Jared McCain not being on this list is surprising. 3+D guard who could maybe develop some playmaking chops but has a ways to go. Would be on my list.

Devin Carter is a do-everything guard, good defender, maybe a shooter, though again limited as a creator. But versatile enough that it's not hard to envision a role for him one way or another.

Kel-el Ware is a floor spacing C, worth consideration. Needs to grow into the physicality of the game a bit but obvious why they might take a swing. Lack of playmaking might limit his functionality in this offence, and question marks on defence and the boards, but some of the latter is being a spacer.

Zach Edey is a dominant inside scorer, huge presence in the paint and on the boards, and capable playmaker with obvious concerns re: mobility and longer term floor spacing potential.

Ulrich Chomche is your swing for the fences pick, I could see them trying for it. Young, extremely athletic C, with decent underlying numbers in an unreliable sample. Could be anything. Might be a guy they hope is there at 31 though, if they don't take a C at 19.

Kyle Filipowski is a shooting C who can do more on offence (good playmaker, can post up a bit), defence is a question re: athleticism but seems to be smart and a fighter on that end.

Bobi Klintman is a 3+D type wing, even if the 3 isn't completely there yet, looks like it will be. Has some extra pop to his game, a little playmaking as a glue guy in the offence. Safer type pick, higher floor, lower ceiling. Might be a guy to grab at 31 if they go big at 19.

Ajay Mitchell seems like a Raptors sort of PG. Can defend, can maybe shoot (showed development on that front in college), can finish inside, is a solid playmaker. All around type guard, smart player. Good size if you think he's a PG, fine if he's a shooting guard. Again a potential target at 31 I think.

Ryan Dunn is supposed to be the best defender in the draft, and I believe it. Lockdown wing, but big question will be the shooting. Not a creator at all, upside is 3+D. But has the ability to finish inside and on the break, and is a good cutter. If he can develop the 3, he's a steal at 31, but if he can't he might not be able to stay on the floor, and he's shown little sign of the 3 coming along. Of course, same could be said for Scottie Barnes before we picked him (almost identical projected NBA 3PT% by some projection metrics)... Risky option at 31.

I think for now, of the guys outside the top 10 above, I'd look to get two of these with the two picks, in this order, ideally at different positions:

Ja’Kobe Walter PG
                            Cody Williams Wing
                            Jared McCain PG
                            Devin Carter PG
                            Kyle Filipowski C
                            Kel-el Ware C
                            Zach Edey C
                            Ulrich Chomche C
                            Ajay Mitchell PG
                            Bobi Klintman Wing/Forward
                            Ryan Dunn Wing/Forward

Wouldn't be mad with any of these guys. For now, anyway. Plenty of time for deeper research.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• This draft is wide open. There will be one or more "Whitmore's" that unexpectedly fall to us at 19. Hopefully a Carter, Salaun or even someone that right is now a "lock" in the lottery. At 31 I'm still hoping for Chomche.

A bummer that we traded such a high pick, but I'm glad that it's conveyed and we can now keep next years pick (no matter how good or bad it is). We saw this year we are a injured starter or two away from being a lottery team. A top-6 pick in a "bad draft year" would not have moved the needle that much.

Should be an interesting off season.

Comment

I'm not a draft guy, but I like the 2-way game & toughness of Devin Carter. Filipowski reminds me of Kelly Olynyk, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, drafting at 19. A stretch big is becoming more important these days, and fits best with Scottie.
                                Yeah honestly I'd be pretty happy with Carter or Filipowski at 19. Neither seem like a star but both seem like they will be capable NBA players that fit with Scottie. I kinda feel like both will be gone by our pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X