Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OakTree wrote: View Post
    You're confusing has not with can not.

    Also, Powell has put up really nice defensive numbers on a bad defensive team this year.
    My biggest problem with Powell is that Leo will jerk him off for two hours every game and I gotta listen to it. PowPow lineup sounds good tho.

    Comment


    • S.R. wrote: View Post
      Fair enough, but I still think there's potential in playing to your strengths with post size that the Raptors could take advantage of more often than they do. We need to remember JV is only 24. He's actually younger than Bebe. People are getting impatient too early. JV will and needs to continue to keep developing to the point where he can reliably take an undersized defender like Tristan Thompson or an overmatched defender like Kevin Love to school in the post for 20+ ppg.

      They're still "underutilizing" JV because he's a big part of the future-proofing of this roster. Lowry and DD are in their primes right now and eating up the usage, which they should be. JV will be hitting his prime when Lowry's well into his decline and DD's at the tail end of his prime. Ujiri has his talent spread out along a really nice distribution of player ages, and you'd think it's 100% intentional. The franchise is building sustainability, midseason impatience is the opposite of what they're doing. I've said this before but this season started out with calls to dump Ross, Carroll, and Patterson in this forum. Those calls all went silent as soon as those guys started hitting shots. The calls to dump JV cranked up after he rolled his ankle and had a string of underwhelming games. It's all too reactionary, I don't miss the Colangelo school of management at all.
      The Raps offense has moved away from JV post ups, and it's probably permanent.

      They're getting their bigs out of the lane, and essentially running a spread pick and roll offense. Just like every top offense in the NBA. The Raps are isolating out of the spread pick and roll, but the spacing concepts are essentially the same as what the Warriors run.

      JV's post ups take away DeMar, Kyle, and Cory's drives. And post ups in general take the Raps out of what they're being successful at.

      The league is going towards spread pick and roll. If you want a good offense, that's what you run. If you want a good defense, that's what you defend.

      JV is fine in spread pick and roll on offense, since he can set a nice pick, then short roll to the free throw line and hit that jumper.

      On defense he doesn't have the quickness to recover off a hedge or stick with a guard for a couple of dribbles. So, he can't guard it.

      The problem with JV is a strategic one. He doesn't fit what the Raps are doing. He doesn't fit where the league is going. He doesn't fit.

      Spread pick and roll offense has been torching the league for a few years now. At an historic rate. The post up offense you're proposing is a horrible idea. JV's numbers would be better, sure, but the team's numbers wouldn't.
      Last edited by OakTree; Thu Dec 15, 2016, 01:48 PM.

      Comment


      • A.I wrote: View Post
        JV for Powell is probably just as bad as JV for Motiejunas lol.
        It's in Leo's contract to have at least one Lithuanian and/or Canadian at all times. Also 10mins on Syracuse and 10 mins about his kids.

        Comment


        • OakTree wrote: View Post
          You're confusing has not with can not.

          Also, Powell has put up really nice defensive numbers on a bad defensive team this year.
          So long as we are not confusing your statement with one supported by any evidence whatsoever.

          Powell has the 3rd worst on-court DRTG on that team, by far the worst of the big minutes (300+) guys on the team, at 116. The Mavs without Powell on the floor have a 98.4 DRTG, by far the lowest off-court DRTG of any player on the team, and which would rank literally first in the league in defence if it were the Mavs' overall rating.

          Real impressive.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • OakTree wrote: View Post
            The Raps offense has moved away from JV post ups, and it's probably permanent.

            They're getting their bigs out of the lane, and essentially running a spread pick and roll offense. Just like every top offense in the NBA. The Raps are isolating out of the spread pick and roll, but the spacing concepts are essentially the same as what the Warriors run.

            JV's post ups take away DeMar, Kyle, and Cory's drives. And post ups in general take the Raps out of what they're being successful at.

            The league is going towards spread pick and roll. If you want a good offense, that's what you run. If you want a good defense, that's what you defend.

            JV is fine in spread pick and roll on offense, since he can set a nice pick, then short roll to the free throw line and hit that jumper.

            On defense he doesn't have the quickness to recover off a hedge or stick with a guard for a couple of dribbles. So, he can't guard it.

            The problem with JV is a strategic one. He doesn't fit what the Raps are doing. He doesn't fit where the league is going. He doesn't fit.

            Spread pick and roll offense has been torching the league for a few years now. At an historic rate. The post up offense you're proposing is a horrible idea. JV's numbers would be better, sure, but the team's numbers wouldn't.
            Agreed. He's worth more than powell tho. Powell or Bogut + protected 1st, I'm listening.

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              So long as we are not confusing your statement with one supported by any evidence whatsoever.

              Powell has the 3rd worst on-court DRTG on that team, by far the worst of the big minutes (300+) guys on the team, at 116. The Mavs without Powell on the floor have a 98.4 DRTG, by far the lowest off-court DRTG of any player on the team, and which would rank literally first in the league in defence if it were the Mavs' overall rating.

              Real impressive.
              Source?

              I'm seeing DRtg of 104 for Powell and DRtg of 108.7 for the Mavs off basketball reference.

              Also, DBPM of 3.1.

              Comment


              • OakTree wrote: View Post
                Source?

                I'm seeing DRtg of 104 for Powell and DRtg of 108.7 for the Mavs off basketball reference.

                Also, DBPM of 3.1.
                116.1 on nba.com

                Comment


                • S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I just don't see a realistic mid-season trade that definitely makes this roster better. Unless something comes up that blows all our minds, Ujiri's going to ride this out.
                  There's your problem. No one else seems overly concerned with that.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

                  Comment


                  • OakTree wrote: View Post
                    Source?

                    I'm seeing DRtg of 104 for Powell and DRtg of 108.7 for the Mavs off basketball reference.

                    Also, DBPM of 3.1.
                    Those are individual ratings which are basically meaningless. For example, JV has the second best individual DRTG on the Raptors. I imagine you don't buy that he's putting up good defensive numbers (and nor should you, he's been decidedly mediocre, a little below average in my estimation). I quoted on-court ratings, how the team performs with the player out there.

                    BPM and RPM scores are extremely unreliable in small samples. Hard to put much credence in that number when his team is awful defensively with him on the court, and great without him.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • Has anyone even watched a Mavs game this season?

                      If so, why?
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

                      Comment


                      • Mess wrote: View Post
                        There's your problem. No one else seems overly concerned with that.
                        It's just for fun. We talk a lot about start pat or give jv more touches. It's up to Casey and he's not interested atm.

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          Would love to get Powell (he'd be a great fit at PF long term) but no way DAL sells on him.
                          I would like it. In carrying raptor tradition, we had 2 Williams, then we had 2 Johnsons. I think we need 2 Powells.

                          #makemeGM
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • lewro wrote: View Post
                            It's just for fun. We talk a lot about start pat or give jv more touches. It's up to Casey and he's not interested atm.
                            Yeah I get it, and if we limited it to clearly available guys we'd be trying to talk ourselves into Greg Monroe or Rudy Gay. (Did I forget anyone?)

                            Though I admit it is amusing having someone pull an original trade out of their tukhus and it gets 3 pages of debate.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

                            Comment


                            • If anyone is interested in D. Powell, this is about a week old:

                              http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/12...vericks-future
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                              Comment


                              • DanH wrote: View Post
                                Those are individual ratings which are basically meaningless. For example, JV has the second best individual DRTG on the Raptors. I imagine you don't buy that he's putting up good defensive numbers (and nor should you, he's been decidedly mediocre, a little below average in my estimation). I quoted on-court ratings, how the team performs with the player out there.

                                BPM and RPM scores are extremely unreliable in small samples. Hard to put much credence in that number when his team is awful defensively with him on the court, and great without him.
                                signature plz

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X