No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not even sure we can play a Sully/JV frontcourt during the regular season unless it's against very specific matchups.

OakTree is right. Can you imagine Sully trying to keep up with actual ball movement on the perimeter? We'll get slaughtered.

I doubt he's going to move the needle at all for us, especially given how Bebe's filled in.

Comment

• OakTree wrote: View Post
      JV + Sully are going to get run off the court.

GSW and Cleveland have been showing the league how to take slow big men out of the game for the last couple of years.

We can't play a JV + Sully front court against a LeBron, Frye front court. They'll be shooting open threes all day.

This really isn't even up for debate anymore. The only way you can go big against small is if your bigs can really run. And we don't have Anthony Davis, Towns, or anyone like that.

The plodding big man era is over. Big guys can still be good, but they better be quick or it doesn't work.
      This. It's why I've been saying from the beginning of the season that Sullinger at PF is not going to make things better, he's actually going to make them worse. He's only sort of good defensively at center where he's not going to get completely out-paced by opposing players at his position, but at PF it's going to be a nightmare. There's a reason that like 70% of his career minutes have been at the 5. At least Siakam is mobile at that 4 position defensively.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
        This. It's why I've been saying from the beginning of the season that Sullinger at PF is not going to make things better, he's actually going to make them worse. He's only sort of good defensively at center where he's not going to get completely out-paced by opposing players at his position, but at PF it's going to be a nightmare. There's a reason that like 70% of his career minutes have been at the 5. At least Siakam is mobile at that 4 position defensively.
        Mobility helps you very little if you have no idea where to be on a play to play basis, which is exactly where we stand with Siakam right now. Next year and a few years from now he projects as a very solid defender. Right now he's a bigger liability at PF than JV is at C or DD is at SG. Considering he provides very little offensively, being a net negative defensively is not great.

Sullinger in the starting lineup I'm certain would at least break even defensively with Siakam, plus would rebound the ball much better. Hard to get much worse than the 112 DRTG the starting lineup has put up this season. Patterson would be even better, sure, but setting that pipedream aside, Sully's return is the most obvious upcoming boost for the team, even if he's not an ideal fit with the starters.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
          In the regular season Sully can absolutely play at PF. There are lots of teams whom try to play small, but are not built to do it well ie. Indiana and Miame in last years playoffs. That's why JV was so big against those two teams, because they couldn't punish us for having him out there. Personally, I think we can put a big line up out there against 90% of the league and win. In the playoffs Sully when we face a team like the Cavs or if it ever gets to Golden State then Sully might be an option as a small ball C, though Patterson might be the better option.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            I'm not even sure we can play a Sully/JV frontcourt during the regular season unless it's against very specific matchups.

OakTree is right. Can you imagine Sully trying to keep up with actual ball movement on the perimeter? We'll get slaughtered.

I doubt he's going to move the needle at all for us, especially given how Bebe's filled in.
            Might be that we see the combos of JV and Paterson......and a second unit which features Bebe and Sullinger....
            Both units have one pretty mobile defender..
            Should find out in about 45 to 60 days how things work out.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:00 AM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• FWIW, Bobby Marks was on SXM NBA today and when asked which team might be active at the Dec 15 date (first time to trade free agent signings), his first comment was on Toronto. At the end of the day, it was just from the perspective that we need another piece to beat Cleveland. Not really anything new but interesting that they were at the top of his list.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                Might be that we see the combos of JV and Paterson......and a second unit which features Bebe and Sullinger....
                Both units have one pretty mobile defender..
                Should find out in about 45 to 60 days how things work out.
                It seems to make so much sense, but...
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I have this strange feeling that the trade market will be very quiet this year.

First the new CBA has not been agreed to yet. If teams are not sure what the new CBA will look like then I could see a lot of reluctance to move players around. Also the parity in the East would seem like teams would want to keep trying without giving up major pieces as they are so close to the playoffs already.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I have this strange feeling that the trade market will be very quiet this year.

First the new CBA has not been agreed to yet. If teams are not sure what the new CBA will look like then I could see a lot of reluctance to move players around. Also the parity in the East would seem like teams would want to keep trying without giving up major pieces as they are so close to the playoffs already.
                    New CBA should be ratified long before the trade window closes, possibly in the next few days right as trade season kicks off.

The parity, one hopes, will sort itself out as we approach the trade deadline. One particularly hopes that it sorts itself out in a way that sees ATL on the outside looking in by a fair margin.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Mobility helps you very little if you have no idea where to be on a play to play basis, which is exactly where we stand with Siakam right now. Next year and a few years from now he projects as a very solid defender. Right now he's a bigger liability at PF than JV is at C or DD is at SG. Considering he provides very little offensively, being a net negative defensively is not great.

Sullinger in the starting lineup I'm certain would at least break even defensively with Siakam, plus would rebound the ball much better. Hard to get much worse than the 112 DRTG the starting lineup has put up this season. Patterson would be even better, sure, but setting that pipedream aside, Sully's return is the most obvious upcoming boost for the team, even if he's not an ideal fit with the starters.
                      I couldn't agree more. You can see it with your own eyes when it comes to Siakam. He is extremely mobile and as Dan said he should be a very good defender in a few years but right now he's lost most of the time. He should be able to guard stretch fours perfectly but he doesn't because he is always either over helping or losing his man. We always hear about Sullinger's IQ and that's a big part of defense as well as rebounding. Sullinger just being at the right places most of the time even though he isn't mobile would make a world of difference. And being able to gobble up every rebound only helps
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• For those dreaming about Paul George, doesn't seem the least bit likely.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/12/p...ul-george.html
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Do you guys think we could be able to get both Millsap and Cousins? I think we could.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            Do you guys think we could be able to get both Millsap and Cousins? I think we could.
                            Of course you do.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                              Do you guys think we could be able to get both Millsap and Cousins? I think we could.
                              Without losing either of Lowry or DD? No, I don't think we could. Even the chances that both players even become available are slim. Nevermind the Raps managing the best bid on the market for both.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• More from Hoops Rumours

The Raptors appear to be willing to give up a draft pick and at least one of their young prospects to improve their current roster, but there aren’t many options out there right now for Toronto. According to Wojnarowski, the club can afford to be patient and opportunistic since it has so many young players who are still improving. The Vertical scribe points to Denver’s 2012 acquisition of Andre Iguodala (the Nuggets gave up Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, a future first-round pick, and a second-rounder) as the type of deal Masai Ujiri might be open to making again.
                                The research that rival teams have done on Nerlens Noel is “not good,” per Wojnarowski, who adds that those clubs haven’t gotten good reports about the way the Sixers big man carries himself, and his habits. Teams are still interested in acquiring Noel, but they don’t want to give up a whole lot for him, so it’ll be interesting to see if Philadelphia eventually takes what it can get. The Sixers would probably love to see Noel put in a couple healthy and productive months before the deadline to improve his stock.
                                http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/12/w...noel-heat.html

Comment

Working...
                                X