Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

How?
    They put up 48 wins literally one season removed from this as a pair and Barnes as a rookie. I mean, it clearly CAN work. The bigger question is whether it WILL.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

They put up 48 wins literally one season removed from this as a pair and Barnes as a rookie. I mean, it clearly CAN work. The bigger question is whether it WILL.
      I thought Masai hates to be a middling team

Comment

I thought Masai hates to be a middling team
        Is 48 wins a middling team? I mean, the jump to chip contender relies on Scottie making his star turn, but being in the range of 50 wins is hardly middling.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm a firm believer in whatever coaching/behind the scenes issues there were last season, it was the main reason why the Raptors struggled and things just looked off.

The same team minus Poeltl won 48 games the season before, that wasn't a fluke.

While I still would prefer to see some changes on the roster, if they do run it back with a new coach, don't see any reason why with they can't go back to winning 48+ games with a full season of Poeltl and hopefully Scottie taking that next step in his 3rd year.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I'm a firm believer in whatever coaching/behind the scenes issues there were last season, it was the main reason why the Raptors struggled and things just looked off.

The same team minus Poeltl won 48 games the season before, that wasn't a fluke.

While I still would prefer to see some changes on the roster, if they do run it back with a new coach, don't see any reason why with they can't go back to winning 48+ games with a full season of Poeltl and hopefully Scottie taking that next step in his 3rd year.
            That 48 win team still had a lot of issues.. remember that game against the Cavs when we had a random set of 5 guys show up at the airport the morning of tha game? I think getting to 50+ wins should be the goal even if we run it back.

This team should be thinking home court in the first round otherwise it's another disappointing season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

That 48 win team still had a lot of issues.. remember that game against the Cavs when we had a random set of 5 guys show up at the airport the morning of tha game? I think getting to 50+ wins should be the goal even if we run it back.

This team should be thinking home court in the first round otherwise it's another disappointing season.
              I think most teams have some issues here and there during the season, but those issues were magnified last season and Nick's comments before the Philly game was pretty telling.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

what if it actually works with barnes and pascal
                After seeing them play heavy minutes together for 2 seasons I'm sure it won't work. How many more seasons should we hinder Scottie's development before we decide it won't work?

You can't play 2 PF who can't shoot together in the starting lineup. Pascal and Scottie both need a SF who can shoot next to them, not another PF.
                Last edited by Primer; Fri Jun 23, 2023, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

After seeing them play heavy minutes together for 2 seasons I'm sure it won't work. How many more seasons should we hinder Scottie's development before we decide it won't work?

You can't play 2 PF who can't shoot together in the starting lineup. Pascal and Scottie both need a SF who can shoot next to them, not another PF.
                  Sure you can, we just did and that lineup put up a +10 net rating. You just need to be good at other stuff to offset your weaknesses - which is true of literally every 5-some of players you might put out there, no lineup is going to be great at everything. This one is a little cramped for spacing but the extra creation, rebounding, smart passing and defence makes up for it. Maybe you get more spacing with a different set of players but you get worse in one or more of those other things.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Sure you can, we just did and that lineup put up a +10 net rating. You just need to be good at other stuff to offset your weaknesses - which is true of literally every 5-some of players you might put out there, no lineup is going to be great at everything. This one is a little cramped for spacing but the extra creation, rebounding, smart passing and defence makes up for it. Maybe you get more spacing with a different set of players but you get worse in one or more of those other things.
                    Prepare to be disappointed when this is once again a middling team with 1st round playoff loss being the high mark.

Although from the sound of it that wouldn't disappoint you. Team Treadmill.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Prepare to be disappointed when this is once again a middling team with 1st round playoff loss being the high mark.

Although from the sound of it that wouldn't disappoint you. Team Treadmill.
                      If they improve the bench looks, I don't see why that has to be the ceiling.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Is 48 wins a middling team? I mean, the jump to chip contender relies on Scottie making his star turn, but being in the range of 50 wins is hardly middling.
                        What 48 wins are you talking about?
                        Raptors won 41 games last season,
                        that's a middling team and everyone says so except you (?).

And wow, blame the 2nd year guy instead of your favourite vets.

Comment

What 48 wins are you talking about?
                          Raptors won 41 games last season,
                          that's a middling team and everyone says so except you (?).

And wow, blame the 2nd year guy instead of your favourite vets.
                          The year before. The critique is of a Pascal-Scottie pairing, which was there the year before.

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm saying Scottie has a world of upside and if those two can pair up on a 48 win team before he realizes it, imagine how good they could be when he takes a leap.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The year before. The critique is of a Pascal-Scottie pairing, which was there the year before.

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm saying Scottie has a world of upside and if those two can pair up on a 48 win team before he realizes it, imagine how good they could be when he takes a leap.
                            You average their 2 seasons together thats 44 wins- middling.

Comment

You average their 2 seasons together thats 44 wins- middling.
                              Well thank god that’s not how the NBA works, then.
                              Last edited by Limited Upside; Fri Jun 23, 2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Well thank god that’s not the NBA works, then.
                                You know how else it doesn't work? You don't get to use your wins from 2 seasons ago.

Teams figured us out. Our weird roster was novel 2 years ago and teams weren't ready for it. Like a college football team running the triple option. Just as with the triple option, once a team has prep time it's easily beaten. Even with the element of surprise we still only won 48 games and got bumped in the 1st round. We had a healthier team this season, and we added Poeltl, and we still regressed.

Fred, Pascal, Scottie, and OG all played more games, significantly more in OG's case.
                                Last edited by Primer; Fri Jun 23, 2023, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X