Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quirk wrote: View Post

Lopez has been a good to great defender his entire career (well maybe not anymore). It's his shooting range that improved over time.
    He always had a solid mid range game. It wasn't really a leap to add the 3 ball he was already shooting a lot close to 3pt range.

Comment

Lopez has been a good to great defender his entire career (well maybe not anymore). It's his shooting range that improved over time.
      I'm not disagreeing with you. Lopez also came into the league with a nice array of post moves, whereas Edey has the hook shot and very shallow bag, otherwise. And Lopez was averaging 37 MPG by his second year and started all 82 games (at age 21). Selfishly for Team Canada, I want Zach Edey to be a legit NBA star but if he starts 82 games and plays 37 MPG anytime soon, that will be a pleasant surprise. Not sure why he's even being compared to Lopez.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Brook took 58% of his shots beyond 3 feet and 24% of his shots beyond 10 feet, and over 12% of his shots beyond 16 feet as a rookie. Edey will be taking 90% of his shots within 3 feet and other 10% 5 feet out.
        Can I get the Lotto numbers from you as well while we're just pulling random numbers out of the air? Cheers.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Can I get the Lotto numbers from you as well while we're just pulling random numbers out of the air? Cheers.
          This is what he did in college.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. Lopez also came into the league with a nice array of post moves, whereas Edey has the hook shot and very shallow bag, otherwise. And Lopez was averaging 37 MPG by his second year and started all 82 games (at age 21). Selfishly for Team Canada, I want Zach Edey to be a legit NBA star but if he starts 82 games and plays 37 MPG anytime soon, that will be a pleasant surprise. Not sure why he's even being compared to Lopez.
            I wasn't comparing Lopez to Edey, just surprised at the comment that he needed Giannis and Jrue to be a good defender.

Lopez was clearly a better prospect. Doesn't mean Edey won't be good tho.

Comment

• Anyway, I also included JV and Zubac in my list of "better comps" than Boban. Feel free to discuss those as well. Lol

Comment

Ware has hit 32 threes in 65 games and can't defend, McCain is a guard who can't pass, Da Silva is forward who can't rebound. I don't actively dislike these players, but them being projected 1st rounders is exactly the reason this is considered a bad draft.

Dunn looks extremely mediocre too, probably a rotation player for his defence tho.

I don't take any of these guys over the 2x player of the year. At least one of these guys could well be there at 31 if you want him, if not, there's a bunch of other guys that aren't obviously worse picks, eg Kolek, Chomche, etc.
                We are talking about guys in the 16-30 range here. So everyone will have flaws. Edey can't shoot and can only play drop coverage defense. And he and Kolek are both older. So have limited ceilings.

The 2x player of the year had to go back to college for a second season since he wasn't going to get drafted the first time or was going in the back end of the 2nd round.

Are you only interested in Edey because of his passport? I mean were you hoping we would draft either Oscar Tshiebwe or Luka Garza as well? Both are Wooden award winners as well.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Are you only interested in Edey because of his passport? I mean were you hoping we would draft either Oscar Tshiebwe or Luka Garza as well? Both are Wooden award winners as well.
                  No, it's because he's 7'4" and dominated the NCAA like no player has in a very long time.

I understand his limitations, but in a week draft sounds like a good risk.

Also, I believe in our core, so am ok with limited ceilings, especially when the players can probably be rotation players and do at least something well from day 1, that's why I've got Edey and Kolek this draft.

I honestly don't see anyone in this draft we will really regret passing on, at least no one obvious. If Carrington, Salaun or some other very young prospect blow up, great, but that's hindsight, they are long shots right now. Also why I like Sheppard with the top pick if we keep it. Looks solid, there is no obvious superstar in this draft.

Comment

I wasn't comparing Lopez to Edey, just surprised at the comment that he needed Giannis and Jrue to be a good defender.

Lopez was clearly a better prospect. Doesn't mean Edey won't be good tho.
                    Jrue & Giannis was to make Edey playable. Lopez was already an all-star by the time he joined the Bucks. Was either written unclearly, or you mis-read it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      The 2x player of the year had to go back to college for a second season since he wasn't going to get drafted the first time or was going in the back end of the 2nd round.
                      You could say this about almost literally any Senior going into the draft ever though.

The parts about his shooting and the Wooden award/passport have been addressed previously.
                      I think he can shoot, his system/coach just didn't really allow for it.
                      And Edey has obvious benefits over Garza or the like.

That all said, it's pretty crazy how much discussion has gone into our 3rd round pick. Lol

Comment

• Only time will tell I guess.

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

That all said, it's pretty crazy how much discussion has gone into our 3rd round pick. Lol
                          No surprise really, Edey is a controversial player for sure. I'm on team Edey, but I get why people would be wary.

Just that in this draft, there is pretty much not a single player I'm not wary about, so why not go for the 7'4" 2x player of the year and hope for the best?

Comment

• I'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the lack of NBA success of a certain Psycho T, also a historically great college player. But I'll let team hate Edey find their own arguments.

Comment

No, it's because he's 7'4" and dominated the NCAA like no player has in a very long time.

I understand his limitations, but in a week draft sounds like a good risk.

Also, I believe in our core, so am ok with limited ceilings, especially when the players can probably be rotation players and do at least something well from day 1, that's why I've got Edey and Kolek this draft.

I honestly don't see anyone in this draft we will really regret passing on, at least no one obvious. If Carrington, Salaun or some other very young prospect blow up, great, but that's hindsight, they are long shots right now. Also why I like Sheppard with the top pick if we keep it. Looks solid, there is no obvious superstar in this draft.

Fair enough. I'm not going to be mad at whoever Masai takes in this draft. The Raptors front office are draft gurus and they will figure it out.

As for believing in the core.. I think it is okay but not spectacular. They need talent infusion. If they keep their top 6 pick, they don't get one next year most likely (well unless they hit lottery luck a second season in a row). There is very little they can do in the summer of '25 as they will have no picks and no cap space since that will be tied down with Scottie and IQ's extensions.

So this summer is very important for this franchise moving forward. If Masai thinks Edey is that guy to add to this core than I'll be fine with that decision. Except it's not one I would make.

Comment

You could say this about almost literally any Senior going into the draft ever though.

The parts about his shooting and the Wooden award/passport have been addressed previously.
                                I think he can shoot, his system/coach just didn't really allow for it.
                                And Edey has obvious benefits over Garza or the like.

He's not going to be there by pick 31 though most likely. He's either taken at the Pacers pick or not at all. And we may not have a top 6 pick either. So yeah he's going be talked about.

Comment

Working...
                                X