Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    How successful Edey will be in the NBA will be based on how he adjusts. He is on the slower side and thats probably his most glaring weakness, but there are players that are on the slower side and still had successful NBA careers. Jokic is one and how he adjusts to the speed of the NBA was a question mark when he was drafted, but turns out everything else he has in his skill set is all time great level.

We're pretty familiar with Gasol. He is on the slower end as well, but his IQ made it easier for him to know positioning and how to cut off angles, so he ended up being a very good defender, even won DPOY.

Boban is one that didn't really pan out. I'd say his lack of stamina was a larger factor than being slow. Thats one thing no one here has mentioned. Boban wasn't able to play big minutes.
    He probably could have played a lot more in a different situation, his Net Rating was pretty great, solid PER numbers, etc. If he'd started his NBA career at 21 instead of 27 he probably wouldn't have been such an afterthought.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...marjabo01.html

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Sure, but that's a college player (albeit a very bit one) going up against some of the best in the world. And sometimes drop-coverage is going to get abused, there are still lots of NBA centers that manage to play that way instead of switching onto guards - JV, Lopez, Drummond, Nurkic, Vuc, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, Zubac, maybe most of them?
      They are who he will be going against in the NBA.
      The pros is a different animal, he will be huffing and puffing in no time and will be non factor in defense which is his biggest asset.
      In the championship game, he was just standing in front of a UConn many times, can't even raise his arms.
      Not hating, just facts.
      Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Apr 10, 2024, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Check the thread man, seems like 80% of the posters in here are all about drafting Edey. Some as high as our Pacers pick.
        Fascinating basketball social science study here. If you search "Edey" in twitter you see the most passionate but divergent opinions. It's like it has been it's own mini industry. You'd think he ran over someone's grandma. Now, twitter isn't known for it's level thinking but just the fact that no other player has generated that much discussion is interesting

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

That was Austin Reaves and Bobby Portis. Bench guys he'll definately face. And not all drop coverage is the same. Some guys drop but hand extended length. Edey is giving them a whole lane to operate in.
          That's one of the first things I'm sure he can learn to be better at under proper tutelage.

We've already confirmed his lane agility and full court sprint are not nearly as bad as everyone is saying, he's got a good shooting form, these are the things we should be looking at. Does he have the tools to grow and be better? I think the answer is clearly yes, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Or you could read it another way: Edey was good enough to win NPOTY and still not be good enough to jump to the NBA. He came back and improved immensely - like, by every measure - this year and won it again. That's hard to do, both the improvement and winning the award a second time.

I'm not sold on his ceiling as an NBA player being super high, either, but his floor is already NBA-level (bench C).

I also think people are underselling how much improvement he probably has left, as a guy who started really late, and only has 2 years as a team's focal point after barely being able to play as a freshman. He sounds like a grinder, too.

I wouldn't count the guy out.
            But when was the last time a NPOTY went back to college and didn't enter the NBA draft? Jay Williams (2001/02)? Lots of guys couldve won it twice, if they stayed another year. I mean, if Denzel Valentine returns to college, I'm pretty sure he beats out Frank Mason II for NPOTY the next year. And Trey Burke over Victor Oladipo. NPOTY is kind of meaningful, I guess, but yet it can also be pretty meaningless as far as predicting NBA career success.

Not counting Edey out either. He's made tremendous strides in a short period of time. I'm pretty sure we all want him to kill it at the next level so Team Canada can have our center for the next decade or so.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              If Detroit ends up with the first pick in the draft is there any chance they trade down? Sarr seems like the consensus top pick, but they already have Duren, Weisman and Stewart. Has any team ever traded down the first pick before?
              2017 Celtics traded 1 to Philly in the Fultz/Tatum draft.

As for Sarr, Duren looks good, Wiseman is rubbish and Stewart is as much PF as C. I guess if they get the right offer?
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

That's one of the first things I'm sure he can learn to be better at under proper tutelage.

We've already confirmed his lane agility and full court sprint are not nearly as bad as everyone is saying, he's got a good shooting form, these are the things we should be looking at. Does he have the tools to grow and be better? I think the answer is clearly yes, but maybe that's just me.
                Commish.
                Basketball games is a marathon, not a sprint.
                It's all about endurance and stamina.
                Can Zach move around for the entire 30 something minutes, over 82 games?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Joey you can convince yourself to draft anybody with that mentality. That and somebody said "can he shoot or he just doesn't shoot". Im looking at what i can see.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Joey you can convince yourself to draft anybody with that mentality. That and somebody said "can he shoot or he just doesn't shoot". Im looking at what i can see.
                    We saw for 4 years JV couldn't shoot the 3 because he never did. Then he started shooting them and shot 37% in his last few years with the Raptors. What made the 3 possible even when he wasn't taking them was his solid FT shooting. Good FT shooters are much more likely to be able to add the 3 than players who aren't. Edey's FT shooting is not at JV's level but still solid for a big man. So Edey has more of a chance than a player like Poeltl to add range when he turns pro.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

We saw for 4 years JV couldn't shoot the 3 because he never did. Then he started shooting them and shot 37% in his last few years with the Raptors. What made the 3 possible even when he wasn't taking them was his solid FT shooting. Good FT shooters are much more likely to be able to add the 3 than players who aren't. Edey's FT shooting is not at JV's level but still solid for a big man. So Edey has more of a chance than a player like Poeltl to add range when he turns pro.
                      That FT thing has been debunked. It's not true anymore in modern NBA

Comment

That FT thing has been debunked. It's not true anymore in modern NBA
                        Debunked by who?

Comment

Debunked by who?
                          By scouts. I've been listening to podcasts from scouts for years now. Noone mentions FTs connected to 3 point shooting. You cant use hack a Edey strategy on him yes. But it's not indicator of 3 point shooting at all

Comment

You cant use hack a Edey strategy on him
                            Can't believe you missed on Hack-a-Zach man

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

Can't believe you missed on Hack-a-Zach man
                              yeah it was right there

Comment

2017 Celtics traded 1 to Philly in the Fultz/Tatum draft.

As for Sarr, Duren looks good, Wiseman is rubbish and Stewart is as much PF as C. I guess if they get the right offer?
                                Unless they think they could get away with a twin tower scenario with Duren and Sarr, I think Detroit will be looking for shooting in this draft. And there was that visit from Casey to Toronto prior to the trade deadline that started some rumors about Detroit potentially being a trade partner for Siakam deals. Maybe there was some discussion of waiting for the draft?

Comment

Working...
                                X