Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

More than a few scouts made Boban comp too
    Last year and early this year yeah. Lately, only the one.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      How long will Edey stick in the league? The average tenure for non-lotto 1st rounders is something like 4 years. "Late first round (21-30) only 6% of picks become stars, and less than half even make it to role player caliber stats."

I'd be very surprised if Edey, barring catastrophic injury, didn't last 10 years in the league. Historically 7-footers have done very well in this regard - e.g. one 7-foot scrub just popped into my head, Chris Mihm, could barely do anything on the court and still played 9 seasons in the league. Boban started late and is still knocking on the 10-year tenure at 35 years old.

Bottomline, solid bet that Edey has a longer career than a lot of the guards and wings being considered outside the lottery in a soft draft.
      I have no problem saying Edey will have a career like Boban, been saying that repeatedly. He can stick in the league doing what Boban does. That is not a player I want to draft or would be excited about or think fits our team.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Last year and early this year yeah. Lately, only the one.
        It is by far still the most common comp for Edey.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I have no problem saying Edey will have a career like Boban, been saying that repeatedly. He can stick in the league doing what Boban does. That is not a player I want to draft or would be excited about or think fits our team.
          He can stick in the league doing more than Boban does at this point, more like Boban in his "prime" I would think. Not many are arguing for the Raptors to take Edey, just a fun prospect to prognosticate on - more so than most.

Comment

He can stick in the league doing more than Boban does at this point, more like Boban in his "prime" I would think. Not many are arguing for the Raptors to take Edey, just a fun prospect to prognosticate on - more so than most.
            Check the thread man, seems like 80% of the posters in here are all about drafting Edey. Some as high as our Pacers pick.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Check the thread man, seems like 80% of the posters in here are all about drafting Edey. Some as high as our Pacers pick.
                Not me, I just like arguing with you.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Probably good value at the Pacers pick, questionable fit though.

Comment

Probably good value at the Pacers pick, questionable fit though.
                    Im, torn now. Had him at our second. But the growing hype makes we worry about passing him over for Dev Carter, an ok player, but hardly a can't miss superstar, gives me FOMO. I'm by no means convinced about Edey, but if the cost is Carter, I guess I'll take and make a more coservative choice with the next pict eg Kolek, or the top pick if we have it, eg Sheppard

Comment

• If Detroit ends up with the first pick in the draft is there any chance they trade down? Sarr seems like the consensus top pick, but they already have Duren, Weisman and Stewart. Has any team ever traded down the first pick before?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        Sure, but that's a college player (albeit a very bit one) going up against some of the best in the world. And sometimes drop-coverage is going to get abused, there are still lots of NBA centers that manage to play that way instead of switching onto guards - JV, Lopez, Drummond, Nurkic, Vuc, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, Zubac, maybe most of them?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

Im, torn now. Had him at our second. But the growing hype makes we worry about passing him over for Dev Carter, an ok player, but hardly a can't miss superstar, gives me FOMO. I'm by no means convinced about Edey, but if the cost is Carter, I guess I'll take and make a more coservative choice with the next pict eg Kolek, or the top pick if we have it, eg Sheppard
                          That's what I mean. At 18 you're going to usually have to pick between a higher potential but unplayable, and roleplayers with limited potential (that you could just get for the veteran min). Edey should come in as an immediately playable-bench big for 15-18 minutes a night. And he does have starter potential.

We just don't really have a spot for him to get those developmental reps, except in the 905. But having 3 7-footers on the roster would be a nice change especially compared to this year, and a subtle reminder to myself not to draft for need...

Comment

• A lot of bigs need more strength and to learn the fundamentals, Edey is good-to-go in both departments as a senior. I think that makes him a solid bet to see have better-than-average productivity on his rookie contract for his draft position (if he drops out of the top 16).

Comment

• How successful Edey will be in the NBA will be based on how he adjusts. He is on the slower side and thats probably his most glaring weakness, but there are players that are on the slower side and still had successful NBA careers. Jokic is one and how he adjusts to the speed of the NBA was a question mark when he was drafted, but turns out everything else he has in his skill set is all time great level.

We're pretty familiar with Gasol. He is on the slower end as well, but his IQ made it easier for him to know positioning and how to cut off angles, so he ended up being a very good defender, even won DPOY.

Boban is one that didn't really pan out. I'd say his lack of stamina was a larger factor than being slow. Thats one thing no one here has mentioned. Boban wasn't able to play big minutes.

Comment

Sure, but that's a college player (albeit a very bit one) going up against some of the best in the world. And sometimes drop-coverage is going to get abused, there are still lots of NBA centers that manage to play that way instead of switching onto guards - JV, Lopez, Drummond, Nurkic, Vuc, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, Zubac, maybe most of them?
                                That was Austin Reaves and Bobby Portis. Bench guys he'll definately face. And not all drop coverage is the same. Some guys drop but hand extended length. Edey is giving them a whole lane to operate in.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X