Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quirk wrote: View Post
    I'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the lack of NBA success of a certain Psycho T, also a historically great college player. But I'll let team hate Edey find their own arguments.
    Hansbrough was brought up the last long Edey argument.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

There is a difference between can't and doesn't.

https://www.tiktok.com/@draftexpress...04730442829099
      My question to you is why Purdue never had him shoot threes?
      I have no doubt Edey will be drafted, he is more skilled than Tacko after all.
      But will it be the Raptors? Does he fit Darko's system? I don't think so.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Hansbrough was brought up the last long Edey argument.
        Hasheem Thabeet is another good Edey comp. Elite at the college level, did not work at the NBA level. Sheldon Williams is another. You can't be that big and slow. I think Mixx brought up Edy Tavares too who is another huge guy that was unplayable in the NBA yet dominant in Europe where you can be a big stiff.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Hasheem Thabeet is another good Edey comp. Elite at the college level, did not work at the NBA level. Sheldon Williams is another. You can't be that big and slow. I think Mixx brought up Edy Tavares too who is another huge guy that was unplayable in the NBA yet dominant in Europe where you can be a big stiff.
          The ONLY thing Thabeet was elite at in college was blocking shots. That's it. Edey far exceeds him on every other comp level.

And Zach Edey is 8-inches taller than Shelden Williams, and once again, exceeded Williams statistically in almost every cat.

No one is saying that there aren't players that were good in college that didn't translate. There's literally thousands at this point.

I think what I, and perhaps others are saying, is that Edey has tangible assets and skills that will translate, almost purely by nature of his size advantage against all but a select few players. Yes, defense maybe will suffer, but I imagine he will mostly be playing against bench players and bench centers, and I see no reason why he can't feast on them. And there are far more capable shooters in the NBA than there are on Purdues roster, so in some ways, things will be easier for him, as he almost certainly won't be facing doubles.

Comment

Yeah, none of those players where 2x player of the year.

Comment

If there was no one-and-done literally would mean nothing
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

2X player of the year can actually work against you. The fact that the NBA didn't want you after being NPOTY is a red flag. The better resume is: 1X player of the year (freshman year) and then joining the NBA as a one & done.

Like I posted before, I'm pretty sure KD would beat out Tyler Hansbrough for his second NPOTY if he stayed in college.

Comment

• How long will Edey stick in the league? The average tenure for non-lotto 1st rounders is something like 4 years. "Late first round (21-30) only 6% of picks become stars, and less than half even make it to role player caliber stats."

I'd be very surprised if Edey, barring catastrophic injury, didn't last 10 years in the league. Historically 7-footers have done very well in this regard - e.g. one 7-foot scrub just popped into my head, Chris Mihm, could barely do anything on the court and still played 9 seasons in the league. Boban started late and is still knocking on the 10-year tenure at 35 years old.

Bottomline, solid bet that Edey has a longer career than a lot of the guards and wings being considered outside the lottery in a soft draft.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

2X player of the year can actually work against you. The fact that the NBA didn't want you after being NPOTY is a red flag. The better resume is: 1X player of the year (freshman year) and then joining the NBA as a one & done.

Like I posted before, I'm pretty sure KD would beat out Tyler Hansbrough for his second NPOTY if he stayed in college.
                    Or you could read it another way: Edey was good enough to win NPOTY and still not be good enough to jump to the NBA. He came back and improved immensely - like, by every measure - this year and won it again. That's hard to do, both the improvement and winning the award a second time.

I'm not sold on his ceiling as an NBA player being super high, either, but his floor is already NBA-level (bench C).

I also think people are underselling how much improvement he probably has left, as a guy who started really late, and only has 2 years as a team's focal point after barely being able to play as a freshman. He sounds like a grinder, too.

I wouldn't count the guy out.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      The better resume is: 1X player of the year (freshman year) and then joining the NBA as a one & done.
                      Ok, let's draft that guy! Who's that again?

Comment

Age is not what is holding Boban back, never has been.

Boban is still easily Edey's best NBA comp.
                        Well no one is going to be quite as motivated to invest developmental minutes into developing a 27 year old rookie. Plus he would have developed a little differently if he'd been drafted to the NBA at 21, non?

Why isn't Yao, as a slightly older prospect from what I remember, the best NBA comp? Edey is just way more powerful than Boban ever was. Even against Yao I think Edey has better usable length with his stronger upper body.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Well no one is going to be quite as motivated to invest developmental minutes into developing a 27 year old rookie. Plus he would have developed a little differently if he'd been drafted to the NBA at 21, non?

Why isn't Yao, as a slightly older prospect from what I remember, the best NBA comp? Edey is just way more powerful than Boban ever was. Even against Yao I think Edey has better usable length with his stronger upper body.
                          I tried to make the Yao comparison previously and that go over well as I recall. Lol But I agree.

Comment

• Yao was not just a bench big? How you can say well he's at least 2nd round gamble, for sure a bench player who's comp is Yao.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Yao was not just a bench big? How you can say well he's at least 2nd round gamble, for sure a bench player who's comp is Yao.
                              "Would Yao be anything but a mid-late 1st rounder in todays game" was my original question, which I still think is a fair question.

Same goes for your point ... would Yao be anything more than a slow, defensive liability who's 2-point game isn't worth the sacrifice in todays game.

And more than a few scouts have made the comp as well.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

"Would Yao be anything but a mid-late 1st rounder in todays game" was my original question, which I still think is a fair question.

Same goes for your point ... would Yao be anything more than a slow, defensive liability who's 2-point game isn't worth the sacrifice in todays game.

And more than a few scouts have made the comp as well.
                                More than a few scouts made Boban comp too

Comment

Working...
                                X