• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the fuck does this thread have a million views already lol
    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
      The problem is he can't finish all games at the 5.
      Right now, maybe sure you can't have him finish ALL games, but i was trying to point out when his offensive rebounding is on and they're actively looking for him in the 4th and not blowing leads with iso ball, he's a net positive. When he's not playing well offensively or rebounding there is really no reason to have him out. But that is a rare occurrence, I belive his little malaise/funk or whatever is over, he's gonna get you 18 and 12 AND help derozan get 30 if you just use him
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
        How the fuck does this thread have a million views already lol
        That's only ~500 views per day since Sep 2011 haha

Comment

• So... Jonas played for the Kansas City Chiefs last night... Travis Kelce must be his brother.

Comment

• This is a great way for a center to earn himself more touches.

Can't just dump it to a guy who can't recycle the ball and a lot of this action isn't even out of the post.

Comment

This is a great way for a center to earn himself more touches.

Can't just dump it to a guy who can't recycle the ball and a lot of this action isn't even out of the post.
              This is like wishing Rudy Gay would magically become LeBron James. Or hoping DeMar would be Harden. They're just not comparable at all except maybe for size and position.

And even if Jonas had that kind of court vision and handles (which he doesn't), it would take years before Casey trusted him enough to create out of the high post.

Comment

This is a great way for a center to earn himself more touches.

Getting the ball in the post 2-4 times a game, half of which are clear-out plays that the rest of the team take off, is hardly comparable to actually running the offense through the post.

The most frustrating thing is why Casey hasn't ever bothered to draw up a couple plays for the team to run off a JV post-up, to help him gain experience passing to teammates who are actually running plays to get to a certain spot for an open look, or at least to swing it around the perimeter for an open look (circa 2007 Raps).

Even if they only run such a play a couple times a game, it would help with JV's development, help improve on court team chemistry, and give them another option for initiating the offense.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Getting the ball in the post 2-4 times a game, half of which are clear-out plays that the rest of the team take off, is hardly comparable to actually running the offense through the post.

The most frustrating thing is why Casey hasn't ever bothered to draw up a couple plays for the team to run off a JV post-up, to help him gain experience passing to teammates who are actually running plays to get to a certain spot for an open look, or at least to swing it around the perimeter for an open look (circa 2007 Raps).

Even if they only run such a play a couple times a game, it would help with JV's development, help improve on court team chemistry, and give them another option for initiating the offense.
                  Can he get an "Amen" to that?

Wouldn't that be something. It could revolutionize the game of basketball north of the US/Canada border.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

The reason he doesn't get plays run through him is precisely because he can't do any of those things.

Which top team is running a significant chunk of their offense through a big that isn't a great passer?

Comment

The reason he doesn't get plays run through him is precisely because he can't do any of those things.

Which top team is running a significant chunk of their offense through a big that isn't a great passer?
                      my god dude.

we're talking about replacing those boring "stand around and watch JV try to post up" with "have JV try to post up, and also send some appropriate cutters".

You need to take off the hater goggles.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        my god dude.

we're talking about replacing those boring "stand around and watch JV try to post up" with "have JV try to post up, and also send some appropriate cutters".

Stop calling me a hater because I don't agree. The name-calling doesn't help. I don't hate JV, I just don't think he's as some of you make him out to be. To me he's a liability on the defensive end except against traditional centers (his post defense is the one aspect of defense he's very good at, but it's also not as important as help and pick and roll defense where he's subpar). And on top of that I don't think he has the all-around game and versatility to run your offense through him.

Comment

Stop calling me a hater because I don't agree. The name-calling doesn't help. I don't hate JV, I just don't think he's as some of you make him out to be. To me he's a liability on the defensive end except against traditional centers (his post defense is the one aspect of defense he's very good at, but it's also not as important as help and pick and roll defense where he's subpar). And on top of that I don't think he has the all-around game and versatility to run your offense through him.
                          whatever man, either you purposely ignored the actual point being made or you just don't understand it. you can choose whichever is more agreeable.

Comment

We know. You've stated this more than anybody in this thread has stated anything over the past however many pages.

You're earning a certain label because you relentlessly respond to any positive JV comment with a criticism and another explanation of why they have to trade JV. You do this relentlessly. Over and over and over again.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              We know. You've stated this more than anybody in this thread has stated anything over the past however many pages.

You're earning a certain label because you relentlessly respond to any positive JV comment with a criticism and another explanation of why they have to trade JV. You do this relentlessly. Over and over and over again.
                              I didn't say we have to trade him. I outlined that pretty clearly in the trade chatter thread. My issue is that we don't have a good option to go to when his weaknesses are being exposed and exploited. Last year that was Biz and the offense-defense substitutions. This year we have Bebe who doesn't rebound so he's nowhere near as effective defensively as Biz was. Yes one way to rectify that would be trading JV for someone like Whiteside, but I've also suggested trading other assets (CoJo+Pick) for someone like Noel to take on the role Bismack had last season.

I don't think JV has to go. He has issues, but they're manageable with the right personnel. We don't have that this year. And on top of that, some of the guys who are supposed to be great defensively for us (CoJo, Carroll) have taken a huge step back in that area this year.

I'm just not satisfied with our bottom 10 defense. Our offense largely is fine, more than fine. If Lowry is healthy and focused in the playoffs, it will hum. We don't need any drastic changes to it. JV will likely have some games where he dominates the offensive glass and is a huge factor offensively, but that doesn't mean we need to switch him to be more of an offensive focus.
                              It's on defense where I'm worried, and yes a big factor in that is JV because centers are meant to anchor your team defensively. Again it's possible to get away with JV not doing that if we have a better option on the bench to sub him out for, but we don't.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                my god dude.

This is so one sided.....unfair to say that they don't at least try this in practice..... Maybe they do try and JV throws it away more often than not.

Casey's Job is to try to win games. If having the ball move through Kyle and Demar is allowing him to keep his job, i don't think i blame him.

Look.....Coaches and GM's lose their jobs trying to push certain players into roles. Its nothing new.....Remember Bargnani who Bryan tried to turn into Dirk Nowitzi?

Thanks for your suggestions, but a player's skill set carves out his role. You have no idea what happens behind the scenes. Look at Bebe.....He's known to be a good passer....do you think we run plays for him or does it come natural to him?

Comment

Working...
                                X