Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Terence Davis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Watching them wear masks all the time reminds me of what we first heard here, that mask usage isn't helpful because people don't wear them properly and end up touching their faces all the time. Coughing/sneezing into your elbow and not putting your hands on your face was thought to be more effective in both reducing transmitting it & catching it. These guys are constantly putting their hands on their masks, pulling them up and down, having them half off, etc. If anybody does happen to catch the virus between tests, then they breathe into that mask for a few hours, they constantly touch it with their hands...seems like more of a risk than not wearing one?

    Anyway, the challenge of these broad policies is you'll always end up with a few situations where there's a gap or something looks inconsistent. But the policies may still be helpful overall. Baseball and college football have run into issues right off the bat, so far the NBA's approach is holding up.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

    Comment


    • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

      You'd do well to go live in Florida or Texas. I hear your approach is working well there.
      I was wearing a mask inFebruary. Were you? Did you wear a mask last flu season like I did? No? Why not? Do you hate science? Again, la la land. Same people who were telling everyone masks didn’t work 3 months ago now think they are miracle coverings. Lol.

      edit: anyway, Davis should be wearing one cause he agreed to when he went in there. The efficacy of it doesn’t really matter. But the actual real world effect of all this is 0. And anyone who hasn’t gone insane knows this intuitively.
      Last edited by slaw; Tue Aug 4th, 2020, 11:45 AM.

      Comment


      • DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        Hopefully he learns something useful from this, I imagine Masai and co handle this right.
        I'm sure he's taste testing cancel culture as we speak with a heavy portion of public shaming on the side.

        Comment


        • Apollo wrote: View Post

          You don't think that's an overreaction?

          First he's in a bubble and has been for quite sometime, far longer than almost everyone in this thread has ever had to endure.

          Second these guys are bumping and grinding up in each others faces in as close proximity as any popular night club pre-covid. One can't practice safe social distancing and play basketball... And they're hugging each other after the games.

          He didn't sneak in and out of the bubble, that would be sabotage. He cut a hold in his mask to make a political statement. This is the sort of thing the league has opened itself up to by allowing political statements. He won't be the last person to offend someone with a statement and I don't think this makes him a bad guy no matter my views on masks. Can you see how where the league has headed might confuse the situation?
          I haven't searched out his opinions on IG so....exactly what is the political statement he's attempting to make?
          If he's just saying "wearing masks inside the bubble when we play a close contact sport and hug after every game won't do squat" that's not really a political statement. Sounds more like his conspiracy theory might be?

          Damn now I had to Google it. Where's the beef?
          "Davis questioned the legitimacy of the coronavirus last week in a post on his Instagram account. The post in question came after he re-posted a tweet that shared concern with how health officials have informed the public on how to maintain a healthy immune system.

          However, Davis isn’t the only player to downplay the significance of the coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed over 150,000 lives in the United States alone.

          Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard has been repeatedly warned about wearing his mask after he questioned the need for it. Additionally, Denver Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. said on social media there is an “agenda” behind the coronavirus pandemic."

          Comment


          • Apollo wrote: View Post

            I'm sure he's taste testing cancel culture as we speak with a heavy portion of public shaming on the side.
            Yeah sadly the message has always been shut up and dribble - unless you agree with me.

            Comment


            • G__Deane wrote: View Post

              I haven't searched out his opinions on IG so....exactly what is the political statement he's attempting to make?
              If he's just saying "wearing masks inside the bubble when we play a close contact sport and hug after every game won't do squat" that's not really a political statement. Sounds more like his conspiracy theory might be?

              Damn now I had to Google it. Where's the beef?
              "Davis questioned the legitimacy of the coronavirus last week in a post on his Instagram account. The post in question came after he re-posted a tweet that shared concern with how health officials have informed the public on how to maintain a healthy immune system.

              However, Davis isn’t the only player to downplay the significance of the coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed over 150,000 lives in the United States alone.

              Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard has been repeatedly warned about wearing his mask after he questioned the need for it. Additionally, Denver Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. said on social media there is an “agenda” behind the coronavirus pandemic."
              To clarify, I don't agree with Davis at all and I'm not trying to defend his view but what I'm saying is the NBA has opened up to protests on one topic for what I think is obvious non-humanitarian reasons. It was unreasonable of them to expect it to be quarantined to that one topic though.

              Of course Davis was protesting. He's against masks and cut his mask, that's clearly a protest. Its a political statement because masks are a hot topic in his country's affairs and his organization's affairs.

              Comment


              • Apollo wrote: View Post

                To clarify, I don't agree with Davis at all and I'm not trying to defend his view but what I'm saying is the NBA has opened up to protests on one topic for what I think is obvious non-humanitarian reasons. It was unreasonable of them to expect it to be quarantined to that one topic though.

                Of course Davis was protesting. He's against masks and cut his mask, that's clearly a protest. Its a political statement because masks are a hot topic in his country's affairs and his organization's affairs.
                If Davis felt strongly enough about not wearing a mask, then he could have opted out of the bubble and protested even harder about the "conspiracy". He can still opt out, but he knows that's going to look bad on his career. Once you agree to go into the bubble, you abide by the rules.

                That said, I'd hate to trade a guy with his potential because of something unrelated to basketball. Nurse doesn't seem to like TD either, so we'll see.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post
                  If Davis felt strongly enough about not wearing a mask, then he could have opted out of the bubble and protested even harder about the "conspiracy". He can still opt out, but he knows that's going to look bad on his career. Once you agree to go into the bubble, you abide by the rules.

                  That said, I'd hate to trade a guy with his potential because of something unrelated to basketball. Nurse doesn't seem to like TD either, so we'll see.
                  I'm not defending how he protested. The whole point of protesting is to draw awareness to a subject and create conversations. Courtesy to others is not a big priority to people protesting. Neither is playing by the rules.

                  My guess is he simmers down for a bit now, he probably got what he wanted out of this plus more than he bargained for.

                  Comment


                  • Do they have to wear masks outdoors while in the bubble? Because that does strike me as overkill.

                    That said, suck it up and set a good example for regular people.

                    Comment


                    • I'm glad it sounds like the Raptors tackled it head on and right from the top. Need the whole team focused, this stuff is a distraction and looks unprofessional on the organizations that don't seem to have a handle on it.

                      The problem here is that Davis is protesting league policy in the bubble. The last few years of guys wearing warm up shirts, writing messages on their shoes, etc. were activism re: social issues largely outside of the NBA. I think you can be consistent as a league & employer in helping a player like Davis see the difference between speaking out on social issues and speaking against the policies of the league. Those league conversations should be internal - use the Raptors organization, use the players association, etc. to voice that kind of stuff. Not IG. If things ever broke down or hit a wall and a player felt the need to go public, all good. But I don't think Davis is in that situation, Raptors message to him is probably "Hey, come to us with this stuff. Let's keep it out of the public domain and stay focused on a championship."
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                      Comment


                      • The masks are strictly for optics. They wear them in front of the cameras and then domt wear them while working out, eating, socializing, or, notably, playing a sport and climbing all over each other.

                        basically the hole is a non issue. Davis is guilty of questioning the narrative, much like ~40% of the entire population. It's not a crime to express ideas, no matter how idiotic you find them, and that freedom of critical thought/expression doesnt change in the name of "public safety". Davis isn't running around coughing on people and ripping masks off them.

                        This whole salem witch hunt for anyone who's questioning anything is getting dumb. Get a hobby, internet mob. Go outside. It's nice out.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • It doesn't matter what we think. But if he think he doesn't need to wear it and Masai and Bobby do then that's gonna be an issue. Nothing to do with mob. Just hope he's not stubborn
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                          Comment


                          • S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I'm glad it sounds like the Raptors tackled it head on and right from the top. Need the whole team focused, this stuff is a distraction and looks unprofessional on the organizations that don't seem to have a handle on it.

                            The problem here is that Davis is protesting league policy in the bubble. The last few years of guys wearing warm up shirts, writing messages on their shoes, etc. were activism re: social issues largely outside of the NBA. I think you can be consistent as a league & employer in helping a player like Davis see the difference between speaking out on social issues and speaking against the policies of the league. Those league conversations should be internal - use the Raptors organization, use the players association, etc. to voice that kind of stuff. Not IG. If things ever broke down or hit a wall and a player felt the need to go public, all good. But I don't think Davis is in that situation, Raptors message to him is probably "Hey, come to us with this stuff. Let's keep it out of the public domain and stay focused on a championship."
                            Mask wearing has become a social issue in the US though. People are getting publicly shamed, harassed, beaten, doused with hot coffee, etc for not wearing a mask. The arguments for not wearing one range from being a violation of constitutional rights to some sort of nefarious conspiracy that James Bond really should get on top of immediately. Again, I'm on the side of just wearing the damn thing but public conversation isn't just about what I think or want.

                            Who knows what avenues he tried if any, but there's a whole generation coming up that go right to social media and now the league has opened to using its own platform for social change and protest. So here we are.
                            Last edited by Apollo; Tue Aug 4th, 2020, 01:36 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Amazing how hypocrisy is being encouraged nowadays.
                              The NBA has become highly politicized it's becoming almost unbearable to watch.
                              Viewers show their disagreement with the dismal TV ratings.
                              Barkley is correct as ever, people want distraction from the world's issues.
                              We want entertainment, not politics in sports.

                              Comment


                              • Dismal TV ratings... link?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X