Who Should Be Traded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    No way I trade OG for Beal. The whole idea with Beal is you have to surround him with top notch defenders.

The Beal trades that might make sense are a) Lowry for Beal, in a three way deal where Lowry ends up on a contender and that contender helps us out with the asset cost for Beal, or b) an FVV package for Beal with our own picks and cheaper young guys forming the asset base.

Obviously the dream is Washington liking your picks and prospects enough to trade Beal for expirings (something like Baynes, Powell, McCaw, etc) along with your assets but the Raptors don't have the picks for that (and shouldn't be willing to part with stuff way down the road anyway).
    this

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Some GMs don’t want players, they just want first round picks ... even garbage picks and swaps. It’s become the new currency for acquiring superstars, in non star-for-star trades. Those are picks that GMs accepted in return for superstars. So if a team wants picks instead of OG, we could flip him or another player on our roster to get those picks.
      yeah i'd way rather have OG.. his defence is so good and without him / siakam... our defensive floor falls down very quickly... lowry is good on defence but as he gets older it will continue to slowly fall down... OG defensively will be key to any chip in the future.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

IF?
        Have you seen any of his recent comments? Dude is fed up and unfortunately wants to go to a winner.
        NBA stars suck
        apparently he's in no hurry to get out of washington. he hates losing but otherwise likes it there. woj says they won't entertain moving him until at least the off-season

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read it as he wants to go to a team that can give him the winning situation/culture he wants, not team up with a superstar.
          Could be but great players won't come right out and say "I'm tired of losing, trade me to where there's another star or two because that's the only way to win in the NBA" .... they just say "I want to go where I can win"

Comment

• 1/ lebron, AD
            2/ Kawhi, PG
            3/ Durant, Harden , Kyrie
            4/ Giannis, Middleton
            5/ Jokic, Murray
            6/ Tatum, Walker, Brown, Smart
            7/ Embiid, Simmons
            8/ Jimmy Buckets, Bam
            9/ Doncic, Zinger
            10/ Mitchell, Gober, Conley

You generally need at least two stars or a superstar and a star to grab home court and show well in the post season (never mind win it all)

Beal, Siakam, FVV what number does it land us in this group above? Right now we're not in it....and don't wimp out and say"who did we trade for Beal?"

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

yeah i'd way rather have OG.. his defence is so good and without him / siakam... our defensive floor falls down very quickly... lowry is good on defence but as he gets older it will continue to slowly fall down... OG defensively will be key to any chip in the future.
              Yeah right now it looks like our best players are Fred, OG and Lowry by a decent amount. I dont get why youd want to trade Fred and OG when they are on what should be very good long term contracts. Its still looking like the team is as expected going into this season - not a ton of depth and heavily reliant on Siakam to take the next step. Idk why the solution would be trade everyone else and hope the one core guy not developig like you want (on a max deal) figures it out. We got rid of everything long term 2 years ago, we are building that base up again. Starts with keeping the guys you want long term and clearing the rest out, we are in the process of doing that. Find cheap talent to develop (we’re doing that). When the time is right consolidate. We dont have the base to consolidate and frankly I dont think the guy is out there. Do I want to give up all my picks for the right to be capped out with Beal, Pascal and OG? Not really. You arent filling that out with undrafted and minimum guys into a contender.

Its a year of finding cheap talent and developing the core - so far I really like OG and Fred, Siakam leaves a lot to be desired. Keep developing fringe rotation guys like TD, Yuta, Bembry, Flynn etc. and see what you have come the off season. I dont think Lowry nets a great return, but maybe Powell can. Slipping into the playin game isnt the end of the world, historically a good spot to pick, makes for a fun-ish season and keeps some meaningful minutes for guys to develop.

Comment

• Raps have one just one game against a team over .500?
                Wasn't it last year that they had a decidedly bad record against playoff teams or was it the year before the chip??

Comment

Raps have one just one game against a team over .500?
                  Wasn't it last year that they had a decidedly bad record against playoff teams or was it the year before the chip??
                  If I remember correctly it was the last 2 years with Demar. They feasted on crappy teams and went around .500 against good ones.

Comment

• Yeesh you guys are huge Beal fans. He's good. But he's not a guy you sell out a young core for. He's a guy you add to your young core.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raps have one just one game against a team over .500?
                      The year of the championship they had a sub .500 record against winning teams pretty late in the season, even after the trade for Gasol. I think they ended up with a decent record because a few teams flipped from below to above and they closed out the season well. But overall it's mostly a meaningless thing, especially in less than a full season.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Yeesh you guys are huge Beal fans. He's good. But he's not a guy you sell out a young core for. He's a guy you add to your young core.
                        When's the next time you could even dream of adding an NBA scoring leader to the roster? Yes, you want to add him to Siakam, FVV and OG if possible by somehow moving some combination of Lowry, Norm, McCaw; anyone but the core.

Is Beal a top 15 player? Because you're not winning jack without one.

Comment

When's the next time you could even dream of adding an NBA scoring leader to the roster? Yes, you want to add him to Siakam, FVV and OG if possible by somehow moving some combination of Lowry, Norm, McCaw; anyone but the core.

Is Beal a top 15 player? Because you're not winning jack without one.
                          He is borderline top 15, probably 10-15. I agree with Dan, you don't trade away your future for him, you add him into it. If you have to sell the farm to get him, probably not worth it. Ideally you want to keep 2 of Pascal, OG and Fred. Keeping Pascal and OG is what I'd prefer.

Comment

• I might be alone here, but I feel Beal is massively overrated. He's demar 2.0. Good player but can't be your star. Could be wrong.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                              I might be alone here, but I feel Beal is massively overrated. He's demar 2.0. Good player but can't be your star. Could be wrong.
                              Except he shoots waaaay better

Comment

• Yeah Beal is a good scorer, a bit hard to peg. He used to play off John Wall more but has stepped up the past 2 seasons with no one else on the roster. But who is he once he joins better players? A nice 22 ppg good player? He didn't used to lead the league in anything.

I do think it's pretty telling that in the past couple months Raptors fans have gone from Giannis > Harden > Beal. At some point you have to realize you're just getting desperate for whoever appears to be available and that may not be a good thing to do. Like trading for Drummond, for example.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X