Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

'Looks like we are not alone in the Boban comp.
    Do we need that in our young team?,

That's my original question.
    Do we need Edey in our young team.

Taking a flyer on him means we want him, means we need him.
    Why take a flyer on someone you don't need?
    Do we NEED any 2nd rounder on our team? Probably not. That's not the point.

As I said, that would be our 3rd pick of the evening, and I would imagine we are filling "NEEDS" with both of our guaranteed contracts 1st round picks .. if you're waiting until the 2nd round (and your 3rd pick of the night), to fill NEEDS, then you are doing it wrong.

That said, I do think some real size, that can bang when Poeltl goes down, and absorb some minutes and draw some doubles down low and free up some shots on the outside for the boys, would be a nice to have. Can Edey be that? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But he's surely the only one potentially in the 2nd round that can offer his unique combination of size & strength, hit free throws, and maybe a few middy's as a bonus.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

When you're picking in the 2nd round (and on your 3rd total pick of that draft) you're not picking for need. You're swinging for the fences and crossing your fingers.

But you didn't answer the question .. you told him to "do a little back reading" - and having read most of the thread, I'm wondering what he should be looking out for, specifically.
      Joey, picking at 31 is no different than picking in the 1st round lol. You don't swing for the fences at 31, you swing for the fences when you're picking in the 40s -50s.

We need to address the PG position. Can't have Scottie who's not really a PG backing up Quickley. Address that issue in the 2nd round of the draft. Someone like Zyon Pullin would help this team a lot.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Joey, picking at 31 is no different than picking in the 1st round lol. You don't swing for the fences at 31, you swing for the fences when you're picking in the 40s -50s.

We need to address the PG position. Can't have Scottie who's not really a PG backing up Quickley. Address that issue in the 2nd round of the draft. Someone like Zyon Pullin would help this team a lot.
        What if with our two first round picks we take a big wing and a point guard? That leaves back up big as a target, does it not? Edey if still in the board would have to be considered.

Comche, Ware, Missi, Edeya couple of those guys are going to still be there. Who does the team like?
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Do we NEED any 2nd rounder on our team? Probably not. That's not the point.

As I said, that would be our 3rd pick of the evening, and I would imagine we are filling "NEEDS" with both of our guaranteed contracts 1st round picks .. if you're waiting until the 2nd round (and your 3rd pick of the night), to fill NEEDS, then you are doing it wrong.

That said, I do think some real size, that can bang when Poeltl goes down, and absorb some minutes and draw some doubles down low and free up some shots on the outside for the boys, would be a nice to have. Can Edey be that? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But he's surely the only one potentially in the 2nd round that can offer his unique combination of size & strength, hit free throws, and maybe a few middy's as a bonus.
          Of course we need a 2nd rounder,
          but does that have to be Edey?

Comment

'Looks like we are not alone in the Boban comp.
            Do we need that in our young team?,

That's my original question.
            Do we need Edey in our young team.

Taking a flyer on him means we want him, means we need him.
            Why take a flyer on someone you don't need?
            Teams pick for needs sometimes, but not others. Sometimes it's BPA, no matter how little the need. Kings had Fox. In the 2020 draft the last thing they wanted or needed was another lottery pick PG. They picked one any way, because other teams kept passing on the BPA, some because they picked for need. Just over a year later they traded Haliburton for Sabonis. They also could have kept him and traded Fox.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Teams pick for needs sometimes, but not others. Sometimes it's BPA, no matter how little the need. Kings had Fox. In the 2020 draft the last thing they wanted or needed was another lottery pick PG. They picked one any way, because other teams kept passing on the BPA, some because they picked for need. Just over a year later they traded Haliburton for Sabonis. They also could have kept him and traded Fox.
              That's what I mean.
              Grab the best player available, you can deal him later anyway at a higher value compared to one that you draft for need.
              Needs can change very rapidly, as it is dependent on your coach and the league trend, both of which can be short term.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

It absolutely is different. Contracts are not guaranteed. And if back up to Quick is a NEED, then why would we not use one of our earlier 2 picks to get a more "sure thing" to fill said NEED. Why are we waiting until the 2nd round to do so?

Comment

Of course we need a 2nd rounder,
                  but does that have to be Edey?
                  LOL Why "of course we need a 2nd rounder"? Just saying it doesn't make it true. I would argue having a more grizzled vet would probably do more for this team in terms of development than a 2nd rounder, but hey.

Comment

It absolutely is different. Contracts are not guaranteed. And if back up to Quick is a NEED, then why would we not use one of our earlier 2 picks to get a more "sure thing" to fill said NEED. Why are we waiting until the 2nd round to do so?
                    Just grab the BPA. Period.
                    No one knows what this team's direction is anyway.
                    Scottie is looking like a good hub ala Domantas and Jokic but this coach won't use him as such.
                    And there's no guarantee he will be here after next year anyway which means a new coach would mean a new style/system.

Comment

Scottie is looking like a good hub ala Domantas and Jokic but this coach won't use him as such.
                      And there's no guarantee he will be here after next year anyway which means a new coach would mean a new style/system.
                      Yep

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yep
                        Would love to view that mythical pre-draft BPA list that will be 100% spot on when we look at it 5 years from now.

Comment

Primer wrote:
                          Yep
                          BPA isn't an agreed, measurable metric though, especially when it comes to assessing 2nd rounders ... but yes, I completely agree that we should take the best player we can.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Would love to view that mythical pre-draft BPA list that will be 100% spot on when we look at it 5 years from now.
                            Have you tried googling it?
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

You give pretty informed opinions on players all the time, and if you can do it I think pro scouts can too.

Sure there will be outliers, but it's not like throwing a dart at a board would work just as well as scouting does.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

You give pretty informed opinions on players all the time, and if you can do it I think pro scouts can too.

Sure there will be outliers, but it's not like throwing a dart at a board would work just as well as scouting does.
                                Far too many of the greatest players of all time were selected way too low by the pro scouts to call them outliers. The statistical distribution is wide and noisy. At this point we just have to accept that it really IS more like throwing darts, and at most, an extremely inexact science.

That said... I wouldn't mind getting paid for thowing darts too!

Comment

Working...
                                X