Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post

Which was exactly my point about using our lotto pick to fill the NEEDs we supposedly have, rather than waiting til the 2nd round to fill those NEEDS.
    There is still a chance of missing on the picks, so you need to try and fill the need multiple times, and really should just grab the player you have ranked the highest since you can completely revamp a roster in a lot less time than a rookie contract lasts.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

In aggregate the scouts do exactly that, they predict the better players way above chance. Because they're not infallible you discount the entire profession. Outliers are exactly that, outliers. Scouts aren't omniscient but if you use their rankings you are far more likely to select the best player available than if you just pulled a name out of a hat.
      I think the delta between great players and good players is far more obvious than it is between good players and mediocre players.

That to say, top end of the Draft I would agree with you. Rankings work. But once in you're in the 2nd round, it really truly is crap shoot.
      I think you are almost just as likely to score with a 31st pick as you are the 60th pick.

Comment

There is still a chance of missing on the picks, so you need to try and fill the need multiple times, and really should just grab the player you have ranked the highest since you can completely revamp a roster in a lot less time than a rookie contract lasts.
        So if we truly needed a PG let's say, you would say just take two 1st round PGs? Go the Minnesota Timberwolves Johnny Flynn / Ricky Rubio route? Hedge our bets?

Comment

So if we truly needed a PG let's say, you would say just take two 1st round PGs? Go the Minnesota Timberwolves Johnny Flynn / Ricky Rubio route? Hedge our bets?
          I would go BPA at every pick and ignore team need. Especially in today's game positions are very fluid. There will always be a Dennis available you can sign in free agency to fill a need if you feel like you have to.

Comment

• They presently have just under a 44% chance of keeping the pick, nothing to sneeze at

Comment

• There are teams who don't have a list, but have tiers. There is also risk taking /risk aversion. When we drafted Yak, 538 had a chart showing all the players taken before him and quite a few after him had a better chance of being a star. But only 1 player had less of a chance of being a bust.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                There are teams who don't have a list, but have tiers. There is also risk taking /risk aversion. When we drafted Yak, 538 had a chart showing all the players taken before him and quite a few after him had a better chance of being a star. But only 1 player had less of a chance of being a bust.
                I think all teams have tiers and then rankings within the tiers. Risk taking and aversion definitely plays into it as well. Jak was a very safe pick and his career his borne that out. Not an all star but a solid every day starter. Other than Sabonis the guys taken directly after Jak did not end up being good so despite missing out on Sabonis we still made a really good pick. Could have ended up with Thon Maker.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                  They presently have just under a 44% chance of keeping the pick, nothing to sneeze at
                  I'm not banking on keeping the pick but I sure won't be surprised if we end up with 2 good 1st rounders!
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

If they end up having 3 picks this year, then sure. Draft Edey or any C at 31 or whatever.

The chances of them picking in the top 6 though is still slim. People keeps forgetting that.
                    45.8% chance to stay in the top 6 at the moment, which is about as close to a literal coin toss as it tends to get. Slim is a bit of a misleading description of their chances, given that.

If they slip to nominally 7th, then they'd be more like 35% chance to keep it - and 1 in 3 is a lot closer to slim odds but most would still think you a little silly for giving it that label.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I would go BPA at every pick and ignore team need. Especially in today's game positions are very fluid. There will always be a Dennis available you can sign in free agency to fill a need if you feel like you have to.
                      Definitely.
                      Rebuilding teams like us can not afford to be choosy by drafting based on need coz we basically need as many good players we possibly can get.
                      Drafting on needs is reserved for the more established teams.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        If Edey is available at 31, sure you can kick it around. I’m sure the Raps will work him out regardless. And they’ll have the information they need. If they take him you know they are doing it for the right reasons, not because he’s Canadian.

If they do keep the top 6 then there’s a few players that are interesting, I like Ja’Kobe and Cody Williams so far, still have to do a bunch research.

I like Tyler Smith, Ware, and McCain so far at 15-17

31… who knows right now, DaRon Holmes, Koleck, DaSilva, and Edey all looked good this weekend.
                        Actually, my guess is the Canadian angle would play into it more than you think. Not taking him over the consensus far better player but the marketing and ticket department would be in his ear big time....Kelly, Edey, Boucher coming off the bench for some time with Barrett , starting lineup on Canada Day for sure.

Comment

Ya there's no way he lasts until 31 ...

Shaq all but guaranteed that

Comment

• G______Deane wrote: View Post

Actually, my guess is the Canadian angle would play into it more than you think. Not taking him over the consensus far better player but the marketing and ticket department would be in his ear big time....Kelly, Edey, Boucher coming off the bench for some time with Barrett , starting lineup on Canada Day for sure.
                            Look at Raptors attendance. No one cares if there are Canadians on the team they only care if the team is winning. Raptors definitely don't need Edey to sell tickets, we've got plenty of Canadians who are a lot better players and it doesn't move the needle.

Comment

Look at Raptors attendance. No one cares if there are Canadians on the team they only care if the team is winning. Raptors definitely don't need Edey to sell tickets, we've got plenty of Canadians who are a lot better players and it doesn't move the needle.
                              The Raptors have been good/very good for the majority of most fringe fans fandom, who help fill out that attendance. Another year or two of this garbage and you don't think attendance could suffer? Another year or two and you don't think Masai would be fired?

The economy is getting worse, discretionary income is more scrutinzed and this is not the Leafs; they are not immune. MLSE and Masai above all peope, understand this.
                              Last edited by G______Deane; Tue Mar 26, 2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• It's super early but here's my first big board. Going to stop at 10 picks, but once we know where the Pacers pick eventually lands will extend out to there.

1. Zaccharie Risacher
                                2. Reed Sheppard
                                3. Nikola Topic
                                4. Kel'el Ware
                                5. Dalton Knecht
                                6. Cody Williams
                                7. Rob Dillingham
                                8. Jarred McCain
                                9. Ryan Dunn
                                10. Devin Carter

Hopefully one of these guys are there at the Pacers spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X