Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Rudy Gobert has figured it out though. I think it's a risk but if he can show some mobility at the NBA level, he can have a solid career. I personally don't take that bet. But I am not going to lose sleep over it if the Raptors do.
    edey is no rudy. rudy is actually half way decent on the perimeter if NEEDED we saw this in the jazz days. YES he was that good.

at the college level where he is fast enough to catch up and recover for mistakes its fine... at the next level again... I get concerned.

when you think about how switch heavy darko likes to play combined with how many times poeltl has gotten caught on the perimeter with his pants down guarding a smaller player in iso... I get concerned.
    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Wed Mar 27, 2024, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• In college there's no 3 second rule he won't be able to park in the lane in NBA
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

edey is no rudy. rudy is actually half way decent on the perimeter if NEEDED we saw this in the jazz days. YES he was that good.

at the college level where he is fast enough to catch up and recover for mistakes its fine... at the next level again... I get concerned.

when you think about how switch heavy darko likes to play combined with how many times poeltl has gotten caught on the perimeter with his pants down guarding a smaller player in iso... I get concerned.
        I said I'm not really interested in picking him.

But to continue to play devil's advocate.. why are you looking at Rudy in the playoffs when he only got there in his 4th year? You don't think Edey will get better in 3-4 years? If Edey can show a positive impact at the NBA level you don't think a coach will change their game plan? I don't think Utah had plans to center their defense around Rudy until he showed that promise. I mean Gobert was drafted 27th. He averaged less than 10mpg and played in 45 games as a rookie.

I watched the world cup too. Edey had some moments that were rough for sure. But the sample size is so small. And he was basically treated as the 11th or 12th man in that lineup. On a team that had little to no training camp. On an NBA roster with more training and personnel and reps to help him grow I think he could show more. Or maybe not. It's definitely a risk.

And getting caught on the perimeter happens. How often though? Jak maybe was out of position a handful of times in the whole season. Gobert got switched on to Steph in the playoffs as well and paid for it. You adjust and figure it out. I'm not even sure if Darko will be here in 2-3 years either.

Comment

• Why do we spend so much time talking about Zach freakin' Edey around here? lol.

Comment

• Gobert got played off the court in the playoffs when Clippers went 5-out with Batum and Morris at center. Gobert couldn’t punish them at the other end because he has no post game, like Edey.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Why do we spend so much time talking about Zach freakin' Edey around here? lol.
              Because he's Canadian which some seem to think the Raptors won't even notice
              And the media has been covering him like crazy here becuase he's .... Canadian

I'm the guy that has consistently said don't draft for nationality (Canadian or African for instance) because you know their family for decades or someone is nice to their mother ....

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                Why do we spend so much time talking about Zach freakin' Edey around here? lol.
                Propaganda SZN.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• G______Deane wrote: View Post

I'm the guy that has consistently said don't draft for nationality (Canadian or African for instance) because you know their family for decades or someone is nice to their mother ....
                  Nah it's not the Canadian angle in this case. Like any draft pick, we always like to talk about "what if" potential?

In this case, it's the numbers: like, what if Edey's production actually does translate from NCAA to the NBA? Then you've got a star possibly buying low with a second round pick.

Comment

• I mean, we talk about Edey because he's Canadian, sure, but the discussion is valid for reasons besides that. No one was talking up Dalano Banton before his draft year. Why? He was Canadian! But he wasn't good. Edey is really good, his value is pretty solidly somewhere in that mid-first to early-2nd range, where we have two picks, and his production is interesting, so makes sense there is more discussion around him as a Canadian prospect. He also has a game where there are question marks that can lead to interesting debate.

Personally I think it would make perfect sense to grab him in the 2nd round if he's still there. It's a lot less clear cut with the Indy pick, but if the Raps decide they really want him and think he won't last to their 2nd rounder, I'll hardly be up in arms about taking him. A solid C can make a huge difference for a team, as we've seen really clearly both this season and over the past half decade or so.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G______Deane wrote: View Post

Actually its because he is 7'4 and averaging 22 and 13 in college. He just happens to be Canadian.

Hard not to talk about how he could potentially translate to the NBA. Some people think it won't really translate because he is on the slower end, but its more about the what if.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        I mean, we talk about Edey because he's Canadian, sure, but the discussion is valid for reasons besides that. No one was talking up Dalano Banton before his draft year. Why? He was Canadian! But he wasn't good. Edey is really good, his value is pretty solidly somewhere in that mid-first to early-2nd range, where we have two picks, and his production is interesting, so makes sense there is more discussion around him as a Canadian prospect. He also has a game where there are question marks that can lead to interesting debate.

Personally I think it would make perfect sense to grab him in the 2nd round if he's still there. It's a lot less clear cut with the Indy pick, but if the Raps decide they really want him and think he won't last to their 2nd rounder, I'll hardly be up in arms about taking him. A solid C can make a huge difference for a team, as we've seen really clearly both this season and over the past half decade or so.
                        Is Edey a GREAT college player? yes. No one's arguing that. But the topic of this thread is 2024 Draft. You think he can do in the NBA what he's doing in college? I have serious doubt. To me he's another Boban. That's not exactly "solid".
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Watch the Spurs get our pick and take Edey at 7. I mean we've seen the Spurs reach before. They took Primo in the lottery when nobody was thinking about him.

Comment

• It's going to be the workouts where teams will find out if he's probably going to be another Boban or if there is more and how much more and whether his skills are transferable to the NBA. If he impresses, he'll go 1st round, if not, he won't.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Can we STOP mentioning playoffs in the equation when discussing Edey's potential?
                              This team is not there yet, and might not be for a little while.
                              Let's focus on getting players FOR the regular season.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I mean, we talk about Edey because he's Canadian, sure, but the discussion is valid for reasons besides that. No one was talking up Dalano Banton before his draft year. Why? He was Canadian! But he wasn't good. Edey is really good, his value is pretty solidly somewhere in that mid-first to early-2nd range, where we have two picks, and his production is interesting, so makes sense there is more discussion around him as a Canadian prospect. He also has a game where there are question marks that can lead to interesting debate.

Edey is a 'solid' C to you, at the NBA level?
                                Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Mar 27, 2024, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X