Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Far too many of the greatest players of all time were selected way too low by the pro scouts to call them outliers. The statistical distribution is wide and noisy. At this point we just have to accept that it really IS more like throwing darts, and at most, an extremely inexact science.

That said... I wouldn't mind getting paid for thowing darts too!
    This is nonsense, they are outliers and draft position correlates extremely well with NBA success. There are WAY more NBA All Stars selected in the lotto than the 2nd round, despite the 2nd round having more than double the amount of draft picks.

Can you find a star in the 2nd round? Sure.

Are you more likely to find a star in the lotto? YES!

Comment

• Edey isn't going as low as the Raps would take him so I think t's a non-issue.

Shaquille O'Neal posted on his Instagram page that he is changing Edey's name to "Zachille O’Neal."

The new nickname comes after Edey became the first player since O'Neal in 1991 and '92 to have more than 20 points and three blocks in three straight tournament games.

Comment

• Shaqs ego is ridiculous
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

This is nonsense, they are outliers and draft position correlates extremely well with NBA success. There are WAY more NBA All Stars selected in the lotto than the 2nd round, despite the 2nd round having more than double the amount of draft picks.

Not talking comparing about lotto picks vs. 2nd round as an aggregate.

We're talking about some mythical BPA list that's supposedly available to NBA GMs when it's time for them to draft at whatever position they are at. The precise ranking is important, because that's when you miss out on franchise altering talent and spark those "what if" debates that never end.

Ranking & projecting that talent properly is what you'd think pro scouts who missed out on: Kobe, Nash, Dirk, Giannis, Jokic, Gasol, Manu, Butler, Siakam, Curry, Klay, Draymond, Gobert, etc..., etc..., etc..., should be getting paid for.

Comment

• If Edey is available at 31, sure you can kick it around. I’m sure the Raps will work him out regardless. And they’ll have the information they need. If they take him you know they are doing it for the right reasons, not because he’s Canadian.

If they do keep the top 6 then there’s a few players that are interesting, I like Ja’Kobe and Cody Williams so far, still have to do a bunch research.

I like Tyler Smith, Ware, and McCain so far at 15-17

31… who knows right now, DaRon Holmes, Koleck, DaSilva, and Edey all looked good this weekend.

Comment

We're talking about some mythical BPA list that's supposedly available to NBA GMs when it's time for them to draft at whatever position they are at. The precise ranking is important, because that's when you miss out on franchise altering talent and spark those "what if" debates that never
              Every team makes their own list by ranking all the players. So every teams BPA list is different, I’m sure there’s some players that land in the same slot on most teams boards but teams and scouts value different skills. Like Scottie was 4th on the Raps list but what other teams did?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Which was exactly my point about using our lotto pick to fill the NEEDs we supposedly have, rather than waiting til the 2nd round to fill those NEEDS.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                  If they do keep the top 6 then there’s a few players that are interesting, I like Ja’Kobe and Cody Williams so far, still have to do a bunch research.
                  Shhh don't want to jinx it ... Williams is my guy.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

What if with our two first round picks we take a big wing and a point guard? That leaves back up big as a target, does it not? Edey if still in the board would have to be considered.

Comche, Ware, Missi, Edeya couple of those guys are going to still be there. Who does the team like?
                    If they end up having 3 picks this year, then sure. Draft Edey or any C at 31 or whatever.

The chances of them picking in the top 6 though is still slim. People keeps forgetting that.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

Every team makes their own list by ranking all the players. So every teams BPA list is different, I’m sure there’s some players that land in the same slot on most teams boards but teams and scouts value different skills. Like Scottie was 4th on the Raps list but what other teams did?
                      So if every team's BPA list is different, then think about.... there is no such thing as pre-draft BPA, especially as you get further down the draft. At least nothing we internet basement dwellers could critique later. Most teams rank in tiers, but even that's an inexact science when you're trying to compare prospects across a range of positions, ages and leagues.

Now, I do get the idea of drafting who you think is the most talented player, regardless of fit. For example, if you already have a franchise PG, then don't be afraid to draft another PG if you think he's the most talented guy on the board. Most obvious example is that you don't avoid drafting Luka and picking Marvin Bagley, because you think he fits better with D'Aaron Fox. And if there were any pro scouts who ranked Bagley over Luka in the talent department, then that's a good argument that pre-draft pro scouts are pretty useless (hint: there were lots of them).

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

It absolutely is different. Contracts are not guaranteed. And if back up to Quick is a NEED, then why would we not use one of our earlier 2 picks to get a more "sure thing" to fill said NEED. Why are we waiting until the 2nd round to do so?
                        Because we have ONE guaranteed first round pick. The best players that are available in the mid 1st round are mostly wingers. Collier could drop to us but I'm not a fan of him.

You guys are talking like we're guaranteed to be picking in the top 6.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Ya there's no way he lasts until 31 ...

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            Because we have ONE guaranteed first round pick. The best players that are available in the mid 1st round are mostly wingers. Collier could drop to us but I'm not a fan of him.

You guys are talking like they're guaranteed to be picking in the top 6.
                            I mean, yes, some assumptions need to be made to go down any discussion path we as lowly internet dwellers need to go down ... it's a forum, that's not exactly unheard of. Lol

I mean, you don't know what players will be available mid 1st round, but you sure seem damn certain in your statement.. it's how it is.

Comment

We're talking about some mythical BPA list that's supposedly available to NBA GMs when it's time for them to draft at whatever position they are at. The precise ranking is important, because that's when you miss out on franchise altering talent and spark those "what if" debates that never end.

Ranking & projecting that talent properly is what you'd think pro scouts who missed out on: Kobe, Nash, Dirk, Giannis, Jokic, Gasol, Manu, Butler, Siakam, Curry, Klay, Draymond, Gobert, etc..., etc..., etc..., should be getting paid for.
                              In aggregate the scouts do exactly that, they predict the better players way above chance. Because they're not infallible you discount the entire profession. Outliers are exactly that, outliers. Scouts aren't omniscient but if you use their rankings you are far more likely to select the best player available than if you just pulled a name out of a hat.
                              Last edited by Primer; Mon Mar 25, 2024, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I mean, yes, some assumptions need to be made to go down any discussion path we as lowly internet dwellers need to go down ... it's a forum, that's not exactly unheard of. Lol

I mean, even you don't KNOW what players will be available mid 1st round, but you sure seem DAMN certain.
                                I'm that good Joey.

I'll revisit this again if they somehow end up picking in the top 6.

Right now, as far as I'm concerned, the only 1st round pick they have is the Pacers pick.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X